Removing the Retail HSF?

G

Say I'm buying a REtail AThlon 1.4Ghz Tbird 266 FSB that comes with a standard HSF on it already; is it smart to remove the HSF and put a new, better one on?? I would like to o/c the FSB and multiplier (which I don't know how to do exactly yet, someone help me with taht later) so I didn't think the standard HSF would be sufficient. Correct?

madmike

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
The only way to be sure is to monitor temps. I'm guessing this is a pre -built system. If it came with an app to monitor the case and CPU temps, use it. If not, try to identify the mobo or chipset - you might be able to get monitoring software from the manufacturer. Otherwise, try downloading a freeware app like Motherboard Monitor.

If you can't overclock and keep the temp down to a reasonable level, then upgrade the HSF. Swapping the HS should be done with care, and only if you truly need something different.

G

I'm actually building my own pc. The retail version of the cpu comes with a HSF already on it I believe and thats why I was wondering if ya'll thought it was a good idea to replace that one. I didn't know if the one they gave you was junk or not.

I recommend you try the retail heatsink, and add a small fan atatched to the heatsink, blowing air from the back of the case towards the heatsink. I use mounting tape, and my cpu temps are 3-4 degrees lower.