ChrisLudwig

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
Tom’s review of the 2Ghz P4 has it beating the AMD 1.4 pretty good, but other review I’ve seen have the race a whole lot closer, if not AMD on top.

One of the more reputable ones which side with AMD: http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1524

This site sides with the P4:
http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/p42000/default.asp

I’m really interested in which one is actually faster.
Anyone else see any good benchmarks?

"It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
I know this isn't necessarily a good way to determine speed/performance differences, but what I did today just for kicks, was to add up the percentage differences for all the tests Anand and Toms did (the individual benchmarks provided) then add the percentages up (4, 5, -2, 15, etc..) and divided the sum by the number of benchmarks.

That gives a general average performance difference in percent. Do that for several different reviews, add those differences up and divide by the number of reviews you counted up. That will give you a mean of the reviews which will hopefully be more accurate than just using the benchmarks by 1 review.

Simplistic, I know.
Not a whole lot of reviews to get the mean for, I know.

But it does help. Combining Anand and Toms got about an 8% performance advantage for P4 2ghz over Athlon 1.4
Palomino will just about balance that difference, and thereby bring the 1.4 ghz Palomino to rough parity with the P4 2ghz running RDRam.If the P4 is running SDRam, an Athlon 1.4 also running SDRam will outperform the P4 overall as early reviews indicate P4 loses a good 20% in performance when going to SDRam.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Loss of time
i have read 5 benchmark with 2.0

4 win
1 loss (anadtech)
The 4 others have get to the same conclusion that Toms.
Anyway compare a 1.8 to a 1.4 even 1.8 is still faster.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Actually, Juin, I disagee with you. Even Anadtech's benchmarks show P4 slightly edging Athlon 1.4 out....by 2.5%

Of the benchmarks I looked at, Tom's had the greatest performance difference (almost 15% on average)

One other had a performance difference of about 10%

With the new benchmarks from Via KT266A that I have seen, the P4 performance *advantage* is once again whittled down to near parity.

I guess I should do an average of how much increase the KT266A offers over SiS 735, then use that to determine whether KT266A boosts performance enough to make up the difference in performance. I suspect it's close....anything within 3-5% isn't worth even arguing about IMHO. Of course, since the performanc dif on Anand was only 2.5% I guess you could consider that site's benches as a tie...

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Anandtech had a benchmark of 3D Studio Max R4 performance, in which the P4 was almost as good as a T-Bird. I Have to seriously disagree, I have a feeling the smudged those results. After all, I'm sure you guys have seen 3d Studio Max benchmarks before between the P4 and T-Bird, and the P4 didn't stand a chance. http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q4/001120/p4-23.html#floating_point_performance_under_3d_studio_max_2
Check it out and see for yourself. I've had the same experience myself, since my friend owns a P4 and renders things using 3DSMax R3, and it takes him forever compared to my T-Bird at 1.2 (his is 1.4).

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I noticed anyone else contributing information to this thread posted where they got there info. Would you like to do that or just make up some more stuff.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red> and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!