vindlander

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
You guys remember how Microsoft took over the OS market? They worked and copied and advertised yes, but they also engineered alot of compatibility deals with other software producers to get software running compatibly with their OS either first or exclusively. Some of them did not even realise that this would eventually bring about the demise of their own companies - remember Wordperfect and Netscape. Most of the game producers are realitively okay, but look at that even with DirectX control. Microsoft controls the way all software is utilized and writen.

Well take a look at Intel and SSE2, and the way they want to control the way memory is address by the CPU with Rambus, and the way they dictate policy with their chipset control. It seems that in the future all software will have to be VERY heavily optimized to the exact architectual requirements of the CPU. What does that mean? Well specifically, if Intel manages to keep control of the immediate market, it means that chips produced by other companies with non-Intel-identical architecture such as AMD chips, and Cyrix chips, and Alpha chips, and Transmeta chips are not going to perform as well as Intel chips because ALL software will be optimized for Intel executions!

And don't think software producers are not going to do this. They already did with Microsoft, and besides they don't have a leg in the hardware race. They already know that anything designed for a Pentium will do everything they need in the market. So far, the optimizations have only gone from light to moderate. When they go to extensive, as Intel seems to have planned, no one else will be able to compete.

I honestly, saw this coming sometime ago but thought AMD might have a chance to keep things open with the Athlon. But, now it seems that AMD's roadmap will not keep them in the CPU competition which would be the strongest challenge to Intel controlling the software optimizations.

I think this next 12 to 18 months will determine whether or not Intel gains a visegrip on the market just as Microsoft did. I wish it was not that way, but.... And take a que from the Microsoft anti-monopoly legal fest, the U.S. government is not going to protect anyone. Protection against all immediate economic backlash will be sufficient motive for politicians and policy to look the other way. So long free market. Unfortunately socialized economies don't seem to bring "technological innovation" to everyone as fast a the free market, but it was nice while it lasted.... LOL!

Mark me with the doomsayers!

"long live the fighters"

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Why does microsoft make there code Intel friendly. Well a couple years ago Microsoft got to use DOS program on a IBM PC using a intel 8088. Then microsoft released win95 and Pentium processor help microsoft pull ahead of apple. Well microsoft has close ties with intel. Also IBM and MS arent really buddies anymore "MS spy's in IBM back in the day"

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile: