Palomino confusion

G

Will someone please explain to me exactly what an "MP" is?
I am aware of the Athalon, Thunderbird, and the coming Palomino but what the heck is this MP? I have heard multi-processor? I have heard, mobile processor? What is it and what is different about it and the real deal Pal.that is supposed to be here in September? How is this MP different that a current T-bird and why would I buy a 1.2 gig MP over a 1.4 gig T-bird (as listed on price watch)? Mike

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by thehandler on 09/02/01 00:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

<vents>
*screams very loud* it's spelled ATHLON and pronounced ETH'LON! DAMIT ALL! if you can't pronounce it right then your too stupid to even have a computer so take all your computers and throw them out cos your too stupid to own one!
</vents>

*splashes water on himself* ok i'm cool i'm cool ....

*thinks now i know why that other guy went crazy when i spelled it paliminamo? although i was clearfully playin*

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

G

Hey, is that any way to welcome a new guy?? How did you know that "I", was not kidding and just trying to get your attention????????? And no I didn't look at your rig because I knew mine was better anyway :)

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well i got banned from anandtech for ever think. Really made them mad. Well dont diss peoples systems. He likes his system and you should respect it.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
The AthlonMP bears a Palomino core and some little SMP-oriented enhancements. Although regular Athlons unofficially do SMP just fine, only the AthlonMPs are officially supported by AMD. Those are about the only differences in Athlons and AthlonMPs.

Also, I don't expect the desktop Palomino (the Athlon 4) due in September/October is going to be exactly like the AthlonMP. It will have the same core but will probably lack the SMP enhancements and the "official" SMP blessing of AMD. My guess (just my guess, nothing confirmed) is that there will be an enhanced AthlonMP released at about the same time as the Athlon 4.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

G

Thank you very much forthe info. Very nice of you to share your thoughts. I do have one question though and please forgive me as I am a bit of a newbie..........what does "SMP" stand for anyway? Also. I assume the new MP runs on a 266FSB? How soon do you think a faster MP will be out? I would hate to buy a 1.2 gig MP when T-Bird 1.4's are already out and then have them release a 1.4+ gig MP tommorow. thanks Mike

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
SMP= Symetric Multi Processing, basically it is a method to divide up a task betwen 2 CPU's but the application must be coded for it. Windows 95/98/me are NOT SMP able, so if you load those os's on a dualy system you will ownly see one cpu, only windows2k/nt and linux(and some others) are SMP enabled. Even if your OS is smp enabled the app still has to be able to take advantage of it, but if you multitask with 2 non smp apps, each one gets its own cpu, making it indeed faster.

As for the pronunciation of athlon, it is not ETH-lon, its ATH-lon.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Athlon 4 = the mobile version of the Palomino core Athlon
Athlon MP = Multi processor version of the Palomino
Athlon XP = rumored name of the desktop Palomino

SMP = Symmetric Multiprocessing (several processors working in a balanced fashion to divide the computations between them.) SMP based systems do not however equate to a doubling of performance. In general a 2 processor system will offer performance improvements in the area of 30-40% with programs/OSes that support SMP.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

So then you're arrogant? Anyone can have a faster machine it's what you do with it and what you know about (meaning the architecture and the trouble shooting skills etc) is what is important! You may have the bigger badder machine but i know how to use mine! can't even spell athlon right ...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

;p didn't realise it was the same person who posted it.

G

Thank you. Finally an answer. That is what I was looking for. Very good information. Sounds then to me like it makes no sense at all to buy an MP at this point. I do not plan on ever running a multi-processor system. I also don't plan on changing my OS from 98SE any time soon. The only benefit I can see is if the MP actualy has some performance benefits while being used in a single CPU system. Sounds like it doesn't. I assume from your post that it must obvioulsy run at 266 and at least do everything the T-Bird does at this point. thanks again. Mike

A man is judged by the computers he keeps. :)

G

Yes I do tend to be rather arrogant at times but wasn't being so in your case. That is why I had the smiley face after my post. Just for your information, most of the time that means a person is kidding (as in a joke, humor, etc.)

A man is judged by the computers he keeps. :)

pcilliterate

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2001
He is just a kid with attitude or autistic from what I have seen, can’t he understand emotions and logic. He learnt the word arrogant from someone and when he doesn’t get a favorable answer or people question his posts he calls them all arrogant.

G

:eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink: :redface: :cool: :eek: :frown: :lol: :mad:

<font color=green>Could</font color=green><font color=purple> be</font color=purple><font color=red> a</font color=red> <font color=blue>Markup</font color=blue> <font color=orange>deficiency</font color=orange><font color=purple> disability</font color=purple>!

:redface: :cool: :eek: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink:

Medication helps :smile:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The athlon mp is the palomino core, it is 10% faster clock for clock than the tbird, however this doesnt justify the added cost, UNLESS, you take overclocking into consideration, a 1.2ghz athlon mp clocked at 1.4 probably would outperform a tbird clocked at 1.55ghz or so. However a 1.4ghz tbird can be overclocked to 1.6 aircooled on average, if the 1.2ghz athlon mp can reach 1.5 then it is indeed the faster chip. But default vs default, the 1.4ghz tbird is the clear winner.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

? arrogant means you think you're better ... hence he said he knows he has a better system then mine is arrogant that is what the word means afterall?

perhaps you should keep your comments to yourself as you have no logic? if you had logic then you would know that this post is irrelavent to life and doesn't really matter, so what you say is not only ignorant as you do not know me but also foolish, because it is a waste of time to post such rhetorical nonsense.

Nice rhetoric though (for a stranger) seems pretty persausive to get others to believe what is not true.

pcilliterate

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2001
Well he probably has a better system than you, and nothing wrong with saying it either with a :smile: at the end of it which means whatever man, was only joking with you. That’s not arrogant, my system is probably faster than yours too who cares" :smile: ".lol.

I defy logic all the time my friend!

And my point exactly there you go again wildly accusing someone who DARES questioning you, I normally sit back and read the posts, after a time I pick up on certain fixes and certain personalities, just because I don’t post very much at all don’t mean I haven’t listened to your rhetoric either.

I just think you need an attitude adjustment so others might just want to reply to you without this crap attitude being thrown back at them as you have just done once again.

The biggest mouths have the smallest knowledge!

show me where i am persauding someone? saying this person is this? that is just rude.

*shrugs* it doesn't matter...

btw i'm getting the radeon 8500 and the athlon xp 2ghz next year... so on paper my system is better! ;p

G

All he needs is a bigger cpu and he will be up there. Then its coolin' and overclockin' time...heh

G

Not braggin' are we.lol Give me a Gforce anytime..