1.4TB/A-266FSB Needs a Better Fan/HS

I just put together an Athlon 1.4GHz 266FSB on an ASUS A7A266 Motherbard with 512MB-DDR-PC2100 Miron RAM. every time I run anything other then plain simplewindows itself my PC Probe goes from 50c to about 70c and then I get nervous and shut down the App or Game I am playing since I don't wana Burn it out. I am using the Stock Fan That came in the Retail Box with the 1.4 and Am willing to buy another fan (at a reasonable Price) so that I can keep it at 30c - 40c which would be nice. I previously had a P3-800 in this ery same case with my 2 Case Fans and a Drive bay Fan for cooling off 1 of my hard drives but it did a great job of cooling down my system as well and my CPU never ever went past 32c but not with the new equipment i can't even come close to that anymore :(

Please recommend a Good Fan/HS that can fit on this Board and will keep my CPU between 30c and 40c.... All responces are appreciated and BTW: I know my Spelling is horrible ;P

------------------------

Tbird 1.4GHz 266FSB
VisionTek Geforce 3
512MB-DDR-PC2100
SB-Live
4 answers Last reply
More about 266fsb
  1. Sorry no help for the above question coz I have a very similiar problem. Exact same system except I have gainward geforce3 and mini super orb cooler. My CPU temp is.....59C. And all im doing is typing this reply. I have removed all the panels from my pc, put an extra fan in for air cirulation but its still too high. Are water coolers the only way to go?? Anyone else have the same probs??
  2. Sorry I lied, I have a gigabyte-7dxr mobo (tis quality). :)
  3. for starters pc probe by asus always reads too high.
    compare the temps to that which show up in your bios, or install MBM 5 (motherboard monitor)

secondly, athlon 1.4's are toasty beasts... kind of expect that for the end of a product line. you need a quality cooling solution. that means a decent cooler, and acceptable venting to the outside.

thirdly... if your heatsink has a thermal pad, remove it and use thermal grease. (can get a temp reduction of 5 C or more)

you dont need a water coling solution if you do things right.
    ive got a 1200C overclocked to 1350, 2 very ordinary casefans, a medium quality winfop32-1, and the max temp ive seen is 58 C, full load, in a very warm room.

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.
  4. My case has excellent venting and with all my Bays full with Hard Drives, CD Burner, ETC... I have never had a problem with heat untill I switched to the 1.4. Infact my case was Cold to the touch even on the hotest Summer day my CPU never wen't past 32c.

What I was thinking of getting was a Shim from cpufx = https://www.cpufx.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=o&Category_Code=CS

and then get a ThermalTake Dragon Orb 3 = http://www.coolerguys.com/cpucool/duron.shtml

which both by themself get great Raves from people that I've talked to on mirc about them. One guy told me that with the Shim and his stock fan his CPU stays at around 50c - 60c and another guy without the shim that overclocked his CPU from 1.2 to 1.3 and is using the Dragon 3 Orb stays at around 48c - 50c so it should make a world of difference if I can combine the two... My fingers are crossed ;)

-------------------------

Tbird 1.4GHz 266FSB
    VisionTek Geforce 3
    512MB-DDR-PC2100
    SB-Live
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Fan