Call me Crazy.. but i have a feeling AMD is up 2..

G

Call me Crazy.. but i have a feeling AMD is up 2..something..

When the released the Athlon before that it looked like all was doomed. then Boom Athlon

I have a feeling they have something up there sleeves again..

i really do

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

Nehkara

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
I tend to agree. It has been quite awhile since the 1.4 was released I think they're going to ambush Intel again, I say that you should look to see them increase the speeds of their processors a LOT in the near future... within the next year there will definitely be well over 2.0 ghx AMD processor, I guarantee it.

Duron 700
Windows ME
GeForce 2 MX
15 GB HD
128 MB RAM

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The 1.4ghz tbird overclocks to 1.6 easily, I bet they release the palomino at 1.7, that would equal a 2.2ghz p4.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

It took them 8 months going from 1.2 to 1.4. The only reason they still have a good performance against P4 (went from 1.3 to 2.0) is the much improved chipsets witch are comming out (KT266A is very fast).
Im sure they have been stockpileing pallys the last 8 months.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
It didnt take them 8 months, they had 1.2s overclocking to 1.5's when the axia stepping came out, they WAITED to release the higher speeds to keep even with the p4 hoping to win on the price comparison. The 1.4's are overclocking WELL, and the athlon mp's are also hitting 1.5ghz.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Yup!

Sounds like you just got hit in the head by a HAMMER!!

Ouch!!

Bet it hurts!

(pun intended)

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Northwood... P4 with FPU fixes and 512kb L2 Cache. Coming soon and intel showing 3.5ghz northwoods.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
It is true that AMD has something up their sleeve- the sledgehammer (and later clawhammer- how much do u guys think these will cost?). However, I am worried by the fact that the P4 will have a better FPU at 3.5 Ghz and therefore will almost match the Palamino clock for clock. Is it possible AMD may not be able to avert this?

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I wouldn't be too worried, actually that would be good news as long as AMD can counter and remains profitable. Intel needs to turn up the heat. Funny thing is that AMD could have been the one to turn up the heat if they released the Polimino desktop 2-3 months ago at 1.5ghz plus. They still can but when the Northwood really hits, the lines I think will be clearly drawn between the top performer and the second best in the cpu world. The P4 was just a stop gap tolling with AMD making them feel over confident, Intel I see will hit and hit hard. Hopefully AMD has projected this and are pushing up their 64/32 bit desktop chip which Intel does not have an answer to. Interesting times are indeed ahead, lets hope AMD can produce otherwise it will get pretty ugly for them.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 09/03/01 05:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Ahwoogah ! AMD haven't got it in them, I bet they are running around like a bunch of headless chickens.

<font color=purple> **I eat confusion and spit it out slow**</font color=purple>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>The 1.4ghz tbird overclocks to 1.6 easily, I bet they release the palomino at 1.7, that would equal a 2.2ghz p4.

only in MSword.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Stop contradicting yourself, you're making yourself look like an idiot.

--
It's Princess Leia, the yodel of my life. Give me my sweater back or I'll play the guitar.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Not so oh great amdmeltdoofus. Take another look at the benchmarks, ALL fpu intensive apps make the p4 look like [-peep-].

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

I'm not worried about about 3.5 Ghz Northwood. Intel releases on Moore's law predictability. Their processor speeds (at least in MHz) double every 18 months, making the release of the 3.5 GHz due about the first quarter 2002. It has been almost 18 months since the P3 1000, so they're a little ahead of schedule in MHz, though not performance, on the current P4. AMD, though, has until october to release right on schedule.
Intel really isn't ahead of schedule, though, since I guarantee that the P4 2.0 is NOT 100% faster than the P3 1000, even if the clock speed is. When they release the 2.0 GHz Northwood, I think they will be fulfilling their Moore's law obligation.
It is exciting though, just think how fast computers will be 5 years from now!

Aklein

Just me and my computer livin' on the dark side of the moon.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Rcf... showing is the operative word. Intel is likely at least a year away from releasing a 3.5ghz P4. They had to use some serious cooling on the sample chip they showed and THAT system didn't exactly work well far as I read.

So, that's no concern right now.. especially when a 1.7ghz Palomino will equal a 2.4/2.5 P4 on a KT266a based motherboard.

Mark-

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey Everyone,
Regardless of what AMD does or doesn't do, I for one, hope AMD does come out with a Blind-Sided Intel Sack! You can say all you want about AMD being the Best or Intel Always Rules.........But the truth is a Competitive AMD makes both companies produce a better product for less! I love the way we have a wide array of hareware upgrading options for our PC's. Life would suck without AMD..... we all might as well get a Mac!
Peace Out..........tile

What do you mean, SEE THE BIG PICTURE, you mean I need a New Monitor too!

G

Right, but still, Intel came out with the 1000MHz in April 2000, its now september 2001, 17 months later, and the performance of the P4 2000 is not double the P3 1000, though the soon to be released northwood will probalby be twice as fast.

Aklein

Just me and my computer livin' on the dark side of the moon.

Tejas

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Guys,
Your assumptions are based on one incorrect hypothesis: that the Athlon's performance rises at the same rate per 100 MHz jump that the P4's does, this is not true. The P4 performance jumps more every 100 MHz than an Athlon's. So, to say an Athlon 1.5 will be equivalent to a 2.2 P4 is a little over optimistic. The thermals of the Athlon mean they are having trouble scaling, this is why we have the intermiable wait on the 1.533 GHz piece. the Athlon is reaching the end of it's sweet spot with regard to ramping, and even the Palomino is just a final stretch, to try and bridge the gap to their next gen product. The other thing which I find amusing is when AMD were first to 1GHz , clockspeed apparently was a lot more important to them than it is now. The P4 is designed to scale, and scaling it certainly is. Overclocking does not tell the true story about what life's left in a processor.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Tejas you are correct, they do NOT gain the same per 100mhz, the tbird gains MORE, the 1.2 took on the 1.5, the 1.3 bested the 1.7 and the 1.4 bested the 2(with newer chipset admittedly). Athlon mhz are worth more than p4 mhz, and the scaling of the benchmarks shows just that.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

Matisaro

Exactly

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, AMD is going to have to come up with a new core to overtake the 3.5GHz P4! Even switching to .13 micron wil only get them as far as maybe 2.5GHz (hey, maybe 2.8GHz if they're lucky, but then Intel will have the 4GHz out!). Time for a new core AMD.

Back to you Tom...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What? You mean the P3 didn't need a new core to get to 1.13? That's news to me! I hate Intel as a company, they abuse their customers. But until recently, what other choice did I have for a good chipset? Maybe I should cancel my Palamino upgrade and wait 5 years for the price of the 4GHz P4 to drop, seeing how I love Intel so much? Or maybe I should skip that and wait 10 years for IA64 to work it's way down to the desktop? Who do you think your talking to, Journeyman?

Back to you Tom...

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Actually, Tejas, as others have mentioned, Athlon seems to scale better per 100mhz than does the P4.

You are correct in your assessment of thermals. Palomino is designed to run 20% or so cooler, which will hopefully allow it to scale 20% higher (to around 1.7ghz)

As for clockspeed results etc...

When Athlon reached 1ghz, P3's were nearly as powerful clock for clock. Since that time, Athlons have increased performance clock for clock. Meanwhile P4 has come out and it is around 25% less powerful than the P3 clock for clock at least! The performance difference is even worse when comparing it to Athlon.

So what has Intel done?

They've created a chip that can ramp to much higher higher clocks, but the performance is shoddy at best....it's one of the lowest performing PC chips Intel has produced in years on a clock for clock basis. THIS is why clockspeed is less important to AMD. If you can't see that then you haven't been paying attention to the many many system benchmarks on numerous web sites showing just this.

In a nutshell:

When chip performance was nearly on par (within 5% or so clock for clock) clockspeed was a good indicator of the respective performance of the chips. Now that Intel has changed the rules with it's much poorer performing P4 chip, that isn't a good indicator of performance anymore.

Mark-