Sign in with
Your question

Windows Media 9

Last response: in Windows XP
January 15, 2003 5:11:26 PM

I was just wondering if anyone who was running the beta of media player 9 had installed the new release and if so did it remember all of your songs, playlists etc. It took me a long time to get all my songs fixed and such and I would really hate to have to do it all again. As always thanx in advance.

More about : windows media

January 17, 2003 3:35:57 AM

No it'll reset everything :( 

But it's a good idea to update to the release version at some point. That's the only thing about WMP that I disslike, WMP 7/8/9; none would remember custom tag edits. Other programs, such as winamp, use mp3 tags to save the info on the actual file so if you do backup them up onto a disk, everything is okay in case of failure, after the back up.

Conveinance is NEVER the case though with MS products.
January 17, 2003 3:39:59 PM

Quote:
Conveinance is NEVER the case though with MS products

Isn't that the truth! I gave up on setting things up with WMP. I just organized my music into folders by Genre with readable filenames. I just browse my music by folder now and open up what I want to listen to. It isn't as convenient as having it all set up in WMP, but it makes it easy to upgrade. It would be just as easy to change to any other music software also.
Related resources
January 17, 2003 7:14:06 PM

I use WinAMP for my music..

and i use WMP strictly for VIDEO.. i don't keep any of my files stored in the program, i just have a folder called "Vidz" and keep everything in there, what ever i wanna watch i just open the folder, browse down the HUGE! list... and then select the file and BOOM! WMP plays it with no problems.. it works fine.. i think i have the 8.1 version... i didn't get the version 9 yet, i will wait till the bugs and all the fixes are out.

RIG
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2
January 17, 2003 9:54:44 PM

I think that WMP provides a little better quality than WinAMP, but I like WinAmp because you can get plugins for video and have it maximized on one monitor while editing the playlist on the other monitor. It makes it very nice for putting on dances with a projector to show music videos and visualizations. You can edit the playlist all you want without it switching out of full screen.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I also like WinAMP because it is not Microsoft, but I still use WMP most of the time for the quality. (there isn't much of a difference, but it is detectable... at least it was when I last used WinAMP a year ago. Maybe it is better now.
January 20, 2003 10:30:43 PM

Thanks for the answer to my question everybody, as always. I Guess I'll update but you're right it does suck that mp9 doesnt remember. And thanks to everybody else for the info on other players I've used them all (personally my favorite was siren jukebox) but that program is only available for download and has no support from the company. I'm not pro microsoft or anything but I do like the new player, anyway thanks
January 21, 2003 4:46:31 PM

I still switch all my movie file types (avi, mpg, mpeg, asf) to open in media player 6.4, and I only open the new media 9 encoded files in WMP 9.

And then all audio in Winamp just for ease of use.
January 22, 2003 3:10:09 PM

Where is wmp 6.4 on XP?
January 22, 2003 4:20:46 PM

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe

I just set it as the default player.
January 27, 2003 12:31:56 PM

xp comes with 8 i think?

RIG
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2
January 27, 2003 3:24:36 PM

Yeah, in the "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player" there is a file wmplayer.exe that is version 8.0.0.4477, and an mplayer2.exe that is version 6.4.9.1120.
January 30, 2003 2:05:43 AM

i just installed windows media 9 and have a problem. how do i get it to automatically go to my playlist when i open the program? the previous windows media player did it.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!
January 30, 2003 2:13:49 AM

While I don't see the problem, maybe with a fast machine and broadband connection it's not a big deal? Anyhow by going into options the first check box under "player settings" allows you to uncheck the option of opening to the media guide. However, by unchecking this option, the player will now open in the "now playing" tab, but would still bypass the lag you're getting by it trying to connect to the internet in the media guide.
!