The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

numpteyman

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
So i recently updated my BIOS as my mobo was running on a very old version and I was getting the odd "...has stopped working" message whilst playing games etc. The update went fine and I went back to playing a game when after about half and hour it suddenly froze and I couldn't ctrl alt delete out of it so I switched it off and on again.

Whilst the computer started up, at the screen that reads "Loading operating system" It switched to a screen reading: "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible" with a code of 0xc000000e.
Here is a screen shot: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH167777. Not my screen shot mind you but it looks exactly like this.

I went into bios before repairing with my windows CD and I use a ACHI setting due to the SSD I have. It had been set back to IDE so I changed that back over (I assume it was set back to default after the BIOS update).
And also went into the advanced section to see which drive it was booting first. It had hard drive set as the first boot device but I am not sure if this refers to my SSD or my HDD. So my first question is how does a SSD show in the BIOS? There are many options for different USBs and some others I cant remember the names of (I'm currently at work otherwise I would have a look for you). I rebooted the computer after setting a USB F... something first and then hard drive and then DVD drive. It worked and I thought the problem was resolved but after playing a game again it froze and I was back at the screen above.

I have since done a repair with the windows disk and it has booted correctly but I have a feeling it is going to go wrong again. Also I think its worth mentioning that my computer has been making a strange on and off buzzing noise whilst under load. It's hard to pin-point but I think its the PSU. Sometimes I also get a very quiet high pitched noise along with it. I have just moved the components from one case to another and installed a new PSU and GPU (Corsair 750w and Vapor-X 7950) I'm hoping that i've not caused any damage whilst moving it all. But hopefully at worst its one of the new products that I have warrenty over.

Thank you all in advance for any help you can offer.

Solution
google power supply coil whine. see if the sound is the one your getting it could be a bad coil on the power supply or the gpu.
with most gpu make sure your running msi afterburner and set a fan profile to max the fan out. if the gpu fan does not spin up to keep the gpu cool it can lock up and crash. if you think it a heat issue also try taking the side case panel off your pc and see if the gpu stop crashing. i would make sure the gpu and mb chipset drivers are updated.
google power supply coil whine. see if the sound is the one your getting it could be a bad coil on the power supply or the gpu.
with most gpu make sure your running msi afterburner and set a fan profile to max the fan out. if the gpu fan does not spin up to keep the gpu cool it can lock up and crash. if you think it a heat issue also try taking the side case panel off your pc and see if the gpu stop crashing. i would make sure the gpu and mb chipset drivers are updated.

Solution

numpteyman

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Thanks for the swift reply.
The GPU is on the latest drivers. As for the chipset would that not of been updated when I upgraded the BIOS? Im sure its got nothing to do with heat as I'm checking the the heats as It's underload and I have also taken case fans out and set the fans on the GPU to max to make sure its not them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3CQ636QKM4 - This is what it sounds like but not quite as often. And it is only on start up of the computer and whilst under load. Do you think this was the cause of the initial problem?