Sign in with
Your question

Help me, I am near Meltdown!!!

Last response: in CPUs
September 5, 2001 12:16:31 AM

HELP ME! I am currently in school and I just moved my computer into my room, with air conditioning my room is at aprox. 85 degrees F!!! This is totaly from my computer. The CPU is currently burning at 145 F (63C) and the temp inside of the case is at 111F (43C). I currently have a 1Ghz Thunderbird @200fsb. I have a super orb cooling fan. I also have 3 80mm fans in my case. And I still can't get it cool. I also just bought a mine cube server case manufactured by yeongyang, I thought this would make things better but nevertheless it is still TOO HOT!! I can't even put my feet on the case without getting minor burns. So maybe someone can suggest something useful to me.

Thank you!

-=-Sean-=-
I hate picking fights... but it's so fun :smile:

More about : meltdown

September 5, 2001 1:12:12 AM

The 20 degree difference between case temp and CPU temp is fairly typical. That's what I used to maintain with a FOP-32 from Global Win, but my Volcano II is able to cut the difference to 15 degrees on my 1.2 Athlon. Having your case at 43 though is exceptionally high and makes no sense if you have that many fans. When my room temp goes to 85, my case temp gets to about 36 and my CPU goes as high as 53... At that point, I usually slow it down to 1 GHz. in order to manage the heat... (I know, I hear all you Intel guys laughing at me!)

I use a standard mid tower Enlight case with two case fans, plus I have a 2 1/4 inch hole in the side case directly over the Volcano CPU fan.

You need to work on cooling your case better. As well you could go for a better HSF for your CPU that would keep the difference down a bit better. Thats about all you can do.

Good Luck

Scout
a c 159 à CPUs
September 5, 2001 1:14:23 AM

I would make sure the back of the case has a little room to let the hot air out. I'd bet your hardware monitor is not giving you an accurate reading. Has your cpu temp changed much since moving? Is your system stable? You can try the program "hmonitor" or "Mmonitor to check your temps. I found them on yahoo.
Related resources
September 5, 2001 1:20:07 AM

I am using Hmonitor pro, registered.
I am thinking I may go to arctic silver.
I am thinking that part of the problem is my vid card. It is a creative labs annhilator pro DDR, Gforce 256 chipset. I am using the miniorb chipset fan on the vidcard.

-=-Sean-=-
September 5, 2001 1:56:45 AM

I agree with scout and o1die, this is a case cooling problem. I used to have a full tower case where the top third of the case was almost isolated. The air didn't flow up past the PSU and CD drives at the top, which is where the exhaust fan was. I added a small (60mm)fan at the back of the case, level with the processor. I had to mount it in the unused SCSI port cutouts. With the vanes on the processor HS oriented horizontally, this exhausted probably 50% of the air coming off of the proc. My case and processor temps dropped dramatically. If you have any high rpm HDDs, they will add to the problem. 7200 rpm or higher usually need active cooling.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2001 1:43:50 PM

get some water cooling in it.
or use it as an oven

If it ain't broke don't fix it

<A HREF="mailto: techie2000@supanet.com "> techie2000@supanet.com </A>
September 5, 2001 2:04:29 PM

The room is too hot, this is not the chips fault, if it were a p4 it would still be nearly as hot, you have to cool down the room in order to have stability, OPEN A WINDOW STAT!

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~
September 5, 2001 5:21:06 PM

GET RID OF THE SUPER ORB!!!!!

I cannot stress that point enough. They suck harder than...something that sucks really hard.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2001 5:41:17 PM

And put some case fans in it.

~I want a vapochill inside, but who gives 2 [peeps]~
September 5, 2001 5:42:42 PM

If you live in an appartment and they pay for water just use a watercooler and tap into the cold water line. Presto problem solved.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red> and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2001 5:48:02 AM

That <A HREF="http://www.yeongyang.com/products/yy0221.htm" target="_new">clicky</A> no worky!

How much for one of them Mr? .... (puts pillow on the floor to cushion the fall)

~I want a vapochill inside, but who gives 2 [peeps]~
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 09/06/01 03:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 6, 2001 8:06:28 AM

I actually prefer <A HREF="http://www.supermicro.com/images/Imag_Prod/SUPER_SVR800... 8050.jpg" target="_new">my own case</A>. :tongue: I'm pretty sure it's a rebadged Chenbro or Chenming or something, but I haven't tracked down its original manufacturer yet.

(no, I don't have that motherboard in it, I have an AMD761 mobo).

Now as for other matters...

I'm in agreement with the above posts, your ambient case temperature is too warm. I suspect that's largely due to lack of fans and excess breathing room in the case.

A common misconception with large cases is that excess breathing room serves to keep components cooler. Any breathing room beyond what's good for fans to do their job is a waste, and it cuts down on the positive-pressure cooling effect. The more space you have in your case, the more fans you'll need to effectively circulate air through all that space. That's why my own case has eight fans blowing over the motherboard chamber, and why your case has so many fans as an option. I'd suggest you get all the optional fans you can for your case...

...it's still not right for your room to be at 85 F though. I have three comps in my room, two dual-CPUs and one much like yours, except with ten 10KRPM hard drives. The whole of them together have *never* generated more heat than the A/C could handle. Your comp shouldn't be the cause of 85 F temps, no matter how badly the fans circulate air--I suspect your A/C just isn't up to snuff. Leave your comp off for a day, with your A/C running, and see what happens.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2001 12:33:08 PM

@ Fatburger...read my remark to your qoute

"GET RID OF THE SUPER ORB!!!!!

I cannot stress that point enough. They suck harder than...something that sucks really hard." Fatburger

Well I have too disagree with you....because the F***ing Super orb don't suck....especially dont suck harder...They F***ing dont blow either...

and that my friend is the problem they dont suck or blow...they are simply crap...LOL

;) 

Sebastian
September 6, 2001 1:52:17 PM

If your room is 85 degrees with air conditioning, there is something wrong with your air conditioner. A single PC and Monitor simply does not put out enough BTU's to overcome air conditioning.

Get your air conditioning fixed, cool your room, and your PC will run cooler as well.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
September 6, 2001 4:06:54 PM

No, the problem is that the swirled fins are too far from the base, so they don't do anything.

September 6, 2001 6:02:47 PM

I don't think you know how much heat my computer and a 20 inch monitor can heat up a 15X11 foot room. It is like running a space heater, but I was looking for suggestions to lower the heat level. Thank you anyway.

-=-Sean-=-
September 6, 2001 6:39:31 PM

Aircondtioning??- :wink: You could try a water cooling solution they are low noise and if you use a high power pump and long cables you can put the radiator out side of the computer and maybe infront of the air vent or outside a window or in something to get rid of the heat.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red> and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!
September 6, 2001 6:47:09 PM

the super orb is a terrible heat sink... get a new one... an exhaust case can also help lowering the temp inside your case...

if in doubt blame microsoft...
September 6, 2001 7:03:38 PM

Wow.... that was a profound statement... "They suck harder than...something that sucks really hard." You should consider a philosophy major in college. You would blow your professors away!!! :smile:
September 6, 2001 7:12:10 PM

The SuperOrb cooler should be the first to go. A standard CoolerMaster HSF for $12 will do a better job than your orb.

If that doesn't solve your problems completely, make sure you have enough space behind your case for your exhaust fan to be effective. Or, maybe you accidently have your "exhaust" fan blowing into your case and all the hot air from behind your computer is blowing right back into it.

I also had another idea... maybe the size of your case is too big. If you only have three case fans in a case that large you may have too much air that doesn't get circulated properly. If that is happening, the air just keeps getting hotter and hotter since it isn't blown out and replaced by cooler air from inside your room.
September 6, 2001 7:21:58 PM

I think he's trying to say his room is to hot because of his monitor and pc.

September 6, 2001 8:11:28 PM

Hey, I couldn't think of anything. Give me a break :) 

September 6, 2001 9:07:10 PM

That much was obvious. I just figured that based on the higher intelligence of your previous posts (most notably the ones ripping apart my website), that one post of yours deserved a sarcastic response. :smile:

P.S. No hard feelings. I am currently working with a friend to redesign the interface and improve the buying options. I am also going to register my ".com" soon. :smile:
September 6, 2001 10:16:55 PM

Nick, (if I may call you)
have you checked out mpipc yet?

September 6, 2001 10:22:27 PM

Don't worry, I rip apart everyone that spams us to advertise their website.

But you've actually stayed around, which is very nice to see.

September 6, 2001 10:37:46 PM

First of all, yes you may.

Second of all, yes I have. I like the products/services they offer, but the site is way too cluttered for my taste. I am redoing my site to have a design similar to that, but I am going to try and keep it clean cut.
September 6, 2001 10:40:20 PM

Yeah... I figure that as long as I stay in the group here that knows what they are talking about I might as well help people out wherever I can.

That, and I want to get some of the cool titles that are out there!! :smile:
September 7, 2001 2:23:38 PM

I also think their site is very cluttered. But I do, however, think that they have a very good configurator.

September 7, 2001 3:11:18 PM

See, there's a man with his priorities straight. It's all about the post titles.

September 7, 2001 3:22:43 PM

Workin my way up.

Related resources
!