Sign in with
Your question

ASUS G73SW-XA1 vs Qosmio X505-Q8102

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
April 28, 2011 2:26:38 PM

I am looking for a laptop to replace my current desktop. The two that I am considering are the ASUS G73SW-XA1
http://www.amazon.com/G73SW-XA1-Republic-Gamers-17-3-In...
and the Qosmip X505-8102
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Qosmio-X505-Q8102-18-4-In...
I will primarily be using this for gaming (I generally play MMOs) and would like to have my graphics setting on high. Which one of these two would you pick? (are there any other recommendations?) Any thoughts on the two? Other suggested brands? See below for more details.

1. What is your budget?
I'd like to stick around $1500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17" +

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement. Mobility will be confined to moving the laptop from room to room in my house.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not a whole lot. PC will usually be plugged in.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, gaming will be the primary use of the computer. Want settings on high.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
After gaming this PC will mostly used for internet, email, and office programs.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500 GB is enough.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
If I can get a bluray that would be a nice to have but not a necessity DVD is fine.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Besides the two listed above I am open to suggestions.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

a b D Laptop
April 28, 2011 3:01:14 PM

Looking at the Asus specs on Amazon ( I can't get Asus website to work for me...) and then looking at Toshiba on their website:
http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/qosmio/X500/X50...

They have the same: CPU, GPU

Asus has 2Gb RAM more than Toshiba, but I don't think that's very critical.
Toshiba also has a 100GB less on HDD
but
toshiba comes with a Blue ray drive and has a bigger screen 18.4" vs 17.4"(asus).

I think they will do about the same performance wise. (Toshiba actually seems to have a lower native resolution, even though the screen is bigger, might get better fps there, not sure)
So, if you feel that extra $100 for blue ray + 1" of screen space is a good choice, you could go with Toshiba, otherwise Asus will be a great choice just as well.

Also, if you're still open to suggestions and not too shy to pry away from mainstream vendors.
Based on your location check the pricing on equivalent machines from the following custom vendors:
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/ - CA, good for west coast
http://www.xoticpc.com/ - NE, mid west
http://www.maingear.com/ - NJ, east coast

You might get a cheaper deal from them for the same components in a different case or better ones for the similar price you'd pay for Asus/Toshiba.
m
l
April 28, 2011 3:03:59 PM

Having purchased the Asus, and used the Toshiba, I would lean towards the Toshiba for appearance and feel, but the Asus for actual use. go to xoticpc and re-price the Asus with Blu-Ray and the way you want, probably get the same price. - they will price match!

m
l
Related resources
April 28, 2011 4:56:46 PM

AntiZig said:
Looking at the Asus specs on Amazon ( I can't get Asus website to work for me...) and then looking at Toshiba on their website:

They have the same: CPU, GPU

Asus has 2Gb RAM more than Toshiba, but I don't think that's very critical.
Toshiba also has a 100GB less on HDD
but
toshiba comes with a Blue ray drive and has a bigger screen 18.4" vs 17.4"(asus).

I think they will do about the same performance wise. (Toshiba actually seems to have a lower native resolution, even though the screen is bigger, might get better fps there, not sure)
So, if you feel that extra $100 for blue ray + 1" of screen space is a good choice, you could go with Toshiba, otherwise Asus will be a great choice just as well.

Also, if you're still open to suggestions and not too shy to pry away from mainstream vendors.
Based on your location check the pricing on equivalent machines from the following custom vendors:
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/ - CA, good for west coast
http://www.xoticpc.com/ - NE, mid west
http://www.maingear.com/ - NJ, east coast

You might get a cheaper deal from them for the same components in a different case or better ones for the similar price you'd pay for Asus/Toshiba.

I didn't notice the difference in resolution. Is that something I will even notice while gaming do you think? I'm liking the idea of the bigger screen on the Toshiba.
m
l
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2011 5:30:30 PM

It will depend what resolution you will run your games on. The only problem I see that you might run into is say your MMO doesn't have the 1680x945 resolution available, so you'd set it to 1920x1080 as you would for ASUS, then your graphics card will have to do some extra work to scale the image to fit the screen fully. Which in turn will result in extra load on GPU, unless you willing to turn the scaling off, but then you might have black borders around the image. (assuming game runs full screen)

I can't tell you for sure why Toshiba uses a lower resolution while having a larger screen size though.
m
l
April 28, 2011 6:18:29 PM

AntiZig said:
It will depend what resolution you will run your games on. The only problem I see that you might run into is say your MMO doesn't have the 1680x945 resolution available, so you'd set it to 1920x1080 as you would for ASUS, then your graphics card will have to do some extra work to scale the image to fit the screen fully. Which in turn will result in extra load on GPU, unless you willing to turn the scaling off, but then you might have black borders around the image. (assuming game runs full screen)

I can't tell you for sure why Toshiba uses a lower resolution while having a larger screen size though.

I did notice it, as most games do not have a preset for that odd resolution, and you had to either under or over set it, resulting in unusual scaling and GPU load even on software that should not have been too much work..
m
l
April 28, 2011 7:35:09 PM

What's interesting is that the more expensive model ($300 more) does have 1920x1080 resolution.
Along with the higher resolution it has a bunch of stuff I don't need. The CPU and GPU are still the same. It seems strange that they did this. I know they are probably trying to push you into the more expensive model but if I'm going to spend $300 more I will probably start to look at the Sager with a better GPU. The Toshiba is looking less desirable.
m
l
April 28, 2011 7:41:06 PM

randomstar said:
Having purchased the Asus, and used the Toshiba, I would lean towards the Toshiba for appearance and feel, but the Asus for actual use. go to xoticpc and re-price the Asus with Blu-Ray and the way you want, probably get the same price. - they will price match!

Since you have used both of these computer how big of a difference did you notice with the larger screen size of the Toshiba? It is better for game play or not that big of a deal?
m
l
April 28, 2011 7:59:37 PM

didnt really notice the difference.. after you get above a certain point, it does not really matter that much. plus. i felt like I had to swivel my head or sit farther away on the 21 inch unit i tested..
I am not a small person at all, but I rally feel that the 18 inch plus units really cross a line..
that being said the G73 is a concrete block to move around.
If I had it to do again, I would likely go with MSI or Sager just for the appearance, but the SandyBridge units were backordered due to the recall when I had to get one, and the ASUS came into stock first. I could not wait any longer.
m
l
April 29, 2011 7:45:10 PM

randomstar said:
didnt really notice the difference.. after you get above a certain point, it does not really matter that much. plus. i felt like I had to swivel my head or sit farther away on the 21 inch unit i tested..
I am not a small person at all, but I rally feel that the 18 inch plus units really cross a line..
that being said the G73 is a concrete block to move around.
If I had it to do again, I would likely go with MSI or Sager just for the appearance, but the SandyBridge units were backordered due to the recall when I had to get one, and the ASUS came into stock first. I could not wait any longer.

OK. Now I'm starting to talk myself into the more expensive ($1799) Sager NP8170. It has the Nvidia 470m processor as opposed to the 460m. I'd like to keep this laptop for a few years so my thoughts are that the 470m will future proof it a bit more. So many laptops and so little money. :) 
m
l
April 29, 2011 7:55:49 PM

you may be on the right track. although the 460 to 470 isnt that much, the overall system should hold up for a while.
m
l
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2011 8:03:30 PM

here's 460m vs 470m just for reference, so you can see what you pay for:

m
l
April 29, 2011 8:05:23 PM

Thanks for all the good replies. One more question. Is the GPU on a Sager upgradable after purchse if I decide I want a better one at a later date?
m
l
a c 244 D Laptop
April 30, 2011 9:25:56 AM

You can get something like 470M and swap it later with 485M but I don't know about the future 5xxM cards since they aren't out yet(the high-end models)
m
l
April 30, 2011 6:43:47 PM

Thanks so much for the help! I know what I'm going to get now. It's going to be the Sager NP8170.
m
l
a c 244 D Laptop
May 1, 2011 10:33:40 AM

It's a great machine,hope you enjoy it :) 
m
l
May 4, 2011 2:50:01 AM

Bought the Sager NP8170 today from Xoticpc! Now I must wait patiently for it to arrive. Yeah right!
m
l
a c 244 D Laptop
May 4, 2011 8:14:50 AM

Congrats,post some benchies when you got it :D 
m
l
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2011 12:39:25 PM

ooh, definitely post some feed back here when you get it. I want to buy NP8150-S1 in a week myself from the same vendor.
m
l
May 4, 2011 7:15:21 PM

Glad you were able to make the choice. I waffled back and forth for weeks before I could make the decision, due to the SandyBridge delay..
m
l
May 4, 2011 8:04:39 PM

randomstar said:
Glad you were able to make the choice. I waffled back and forth for weeks before I could make the decision, due to the SandyBridge delay..

It really became clear when I looked at the value for performance between the systems. That along with the upgradability of the Sager made the decision an easy one. Had I ordered the Asus I'm sure I would have been happy too. Now I just want my new toy!
m
l
May 4, 2011 8:07:24 PM

AntiZig said:
ooh, definitely post some feed back here when you get it. I want to buy NP8150-S1 in a week myself from the same vendor.

So far, so good with XoticPC. I'm impressed that they called me to confirm my specs before charging me. I also had quite a few questions prior to my order which they were very good with answering. I will let you know how things go from here out.
m
l
May 12, 2011 3:58:49 PM

My Sager 8170-S1 is arriving tomorrow! Woot! Can't wait to play with my new toy.

For those asking about XoticPC, they have been great so far. Great customer service and very responsive.
m
l
May 13, 2011 5:23:17 PM

It's here! Time to set it up and play! More to come. BTW XoticPC rocks!
m
l
May 14, 2011 11:17:06 PM

OK. I've finally come up for air. Some first impressions.

- This machine is fast! Who says you can't game on a laptop. I was fretting over whether I should have upgraded to the 6970 but I was rocking on Rift last night on Ultra setting with 30-40 fps consistently.
- Well made. Very solid. Yes, a bit heavy but feels made to last.
- I read some bad things about the stock LCD but it looks great to me.
- Did I mention this machine is fast?
- The keyboard is different from what I'm used to but it is not cheap. The chicklet will just tack a little bit of getting used to.
- I'm not sure what the complaint is about the fan ramping up and down. I barely hear the fan.
- A few things on the negative side. I don't like the touch pad. The brushed aluminum (or whatever it is) feels strange and doesn't seem really responsive. Not a big deal for me since I generally don't use them anyway. I don't seem to be able to set different power settings for battery vs. plugged in. I'm used to being able to have the laptop automatically switch to a lower power setting when it is unplugged. Not a big deal and mabey I just havn't figured it out yet. I didn't spend a whole lot of time trying. I went right to gaming.
- Oh yea, and it's fast.
l
a c 244 D Laptop
May 15, 2011 9:29:05 AM

wow glad to hear it :D  enjoy your new beast,and post some more benchies if you had time
m
l
a b D Laptop
May 16, 2011 3:56:10 PM

hehe sounds great, yeh the touchpad got covered by the same finish as the rest of the casing which I think wasn't very smart on Clevo's part.

Mine should be getting shipped in about a week or two, but I'm glad to know there's satisfied customers in TH community that used XoticPC and are happy about it.
m
l
!