amd 64bit mobile cpus

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
supposedly the low voltage version of the clawhammer will be released next month for notebooks but lets speculate, figure they'll be a month late and it may take up to 4 months for the manufacturers to get them running in their systems correctly so march is the pessimistic date, if the amd64 has a low enough heat output and they arrive on schedual it may only take 2-3 months till we begin seeing them so december would be the opitimistic date. Of course the dothan chips should be availible by december so the question this christmas is, should I buy a system with the future proof 64bit amd chips or a low voltage high speed 32 bit dothan...it's a tough choice

Join the TomsHardware IRC channel <A HREF="http://skulls.sytes.net/tom/ " target="_new">http://skulls.sytes.net/tom/ </A>

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
I suppose it would have to depend on what graphics and LCD it would be shipped with. It might take a few months (more, *sigh*) after its released before a nice configuration comes around. Its also kind of annoying that Dell don't use AMD.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
agreed, I'd love to see a 64bit inspiron 600m hehe well I can live with a dothan 600m if they can squeeze an r9600pro into it *crosses his fingers*

Join the TomsHardware IRC channel <A HREF="http://skulls.sytes.net/tom/ " target="_new">http://skulls.sytes.net/tom/ </A>

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
i wouldnt be so excited about the amd's 64 bit chip, for either desktop or mobile. for example look at THG's tests on it. They are very well performing, but its not what everybody expected it to be. I mean, the 3.2ghz p4 is just a little behind it, and im sure it will lower its price by a lot since the new p4 extremes and amd's 64chips are coming out. Also, there isnt much software to fully take advantage of your 64bit chip and im not sure whats happening with the OS. There is not 64bit windows yet and linux supports 64bit intel processors only, plus if you use linux, then you might not be able to do as many things as windows. not to mention that the 64bit lappy will cost you a lot. and as you guys said before, it will be months before the 64bit chips are fully integrated with companies and hardware compatibilities. but thats just me

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek:

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Well I don't know what you expected - but I certainly expected a 3.2GHz CPU to outperform a 2GHz CPU. Its amazing that AMD do what they do, I mean they aren't exactly a thriving company, and we would all be very, very lost without them. I'm quite impressed with the Athon 64, Athlon FX and Opteron's performance. Just a pity about the FX having to use registered DDR 400. Hmm, hopefully that will be fixed when/if AMD release their 939 pin version of the processor.

RaPTuRe

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
you should be aware that the ghz here cant be directly compared. And i had expected a bit more than that slight advantage over the normal 3.2ghz p4 which is mostly provided by the hyper transport technology. not to mention that a 64bit vs a 32bit processor isnt something you call "an nice and fair comparison". But im talkin about the normal p4 here, which has been out for quite a bit. Undoubtedly, the amd chip delivers high performance, but lets admit it, we expected some more. At least i did, I didnt feel very happy when i saw a Xeon named P4 beat a highly anticipated Athlon 64bit FX. I know, one has a 2 mb L3 cache, and another one has 64bit processing power, its comparing apples to pears, but just think how much work AMD has done just to be surpassed by a Xeon, which intel, with little effort, named it a P4 extreme. Now I am not an AMD hater, I believe AMD is doing a good job in getting out new technology and i know we would be lost by now if AMD didnt exist. But you cant blame a PC enthusiast to ask for more. after all, we are all after performance and price.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
<<<you should be aware that the ghz here cant be directly compared.>>>

Of course it can't, it couldn't be compared ever since the Pentium 4 was released. But still its running at 60% of the 'speed' of the P4, and still managing to keep up. That is a well designed CPU.

<<<At least i did, I didnt feel very happy when i saw a Xeon named P4 beat a highly anticipated Athlon 64bit FX>>>

Well I suppose the Xeon is meant to be used in servers etc, plus the 2MB L2 cache helps - think about it, it is just large enough to store an entire frame of a DVD movie.

<<<But you cant blame a PC enthusiast to ask for more. after all, we are all after performance and price.>>>

Yes, you are right, but that is always going to be the case, the consumer will always ask for more. Even so, you get a better/equal performing Athlon 64/FX for a lower price than the 3.2GHz Pentium 4 [/EE] it is trying to compete with.

It's always been a tight race, but I too wish that the Athlon 64 could've stomped the P4 once and for all. It would definitely help AMD if this happened - and in the end the consumer too.

RaPTuRe

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Even so, you get a better/equal performing Athlon 64/FX for a lower price than the 3.2GHz Pentium 4 [/EE] it is trying to compete with
im still not sure about the prices, im sure both of them will be expensive, but about performance, i wouldnt say one performs better than the other and when i said the P4EE performed better, what i really meant was in most tests, it performed better. really comes down to what you want the computer for. It looks to me that for an average hardcore gamer or home user or people who use it for most common tasks, then the P4EE will do better. I have to admit tho, i was impressed by AMD's chips performance on 3d stuff. I for one am very interested in 3d stuff and i work a lot with it, and if i had to choose a rig just for that, i would definately go for AMD.

but I too wish that the Athlon 64 could've stomped the P4 once and for all. It would definitely help AMD if this happened
thats what i was ultimately trying to say, people did expect a bit more about amd's chip.

Its a tough topic, it comes down to what one wants. If i had the money i would definately set up an AMD chip on a desktop and centrino on a laptop. The reason im getting a P4 3.2ghz laptop is cuz im not in a position where i can get a desktop yet, but i need computing power now. I live in the US, and soon to go to USC at CALI, but i am currently in spain doing some movie and 3d work, so im getting a lappy now and getting a desktop when i get to cali, and of course maybe when a 64bit from intel comes out.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
the speed increase was incredible considering the hardware was still in it's rough early state, the chipsets need serious work and the software too. Linux is a great operating system and you can do as much if not more in it than windows. The motivation in buying a notebook with a 64bit chip is in the speed jump after a few months of having it when 64bit software starts coming out. Most people would be stuck at the same level of speed with their notebooks forever. Plus I'm an enthusiast, I'd rather have the coolest thing than the fastest thing and an athlon64 is about as cool as it gets :D

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Linux is a great operating system and you can do as much if not more in it than windows
I agree that linux is a great operating system, and I wish one day it will beat microsoft to the living hell. But, as much as i wish that, i cant neglect the fact that windows is just plain easy to deal with, with tons of software and hardware easily compatible with it, not headaches, no hassle. Linux is great and its stable, fast, etc. but lets not forget the fact that it can be sometimes a pain to setup, install new hardware and getting stuff to work. It is good for average gaming, internet, word processing, etc. but if you wanna get down and dirty with hardcore dx8 or dx9 games, or you wanna use kickass 3d software like lightwave or 3dmax, or you wanna do some heavy duty movie compositing with combustion, although some programs are compatible with linux, there is no doubt in my mind windows is unfortunately the way to go. It is possible to use some of these programs in linux, either by native compatibility or programs like wine, but it doesnt always work. I disagree you can do more with linux than windows. In the aspect of customizing your OS, sure, you can do more with linux but honestly im gettin my killer rig to spend most of the time doing gaming and other important stuff than OS customization. Again, i dont hate linux, on the contrary, i wish one day linux could rise above windows and all software and hardware developers would work around it, and for now, i dual boot.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
The biggest problem with 64bit windows xp is it needs new drivers, the drivers for 32bit systems do not work. Which is one of the reasons these benchmarks can not be trusted yet. Once they all get their drivers in order and hammered out 64bit cpus should show a substantial speed increase

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
but the problem is that im not really sure what drivers they used for what. I believe they used proper drivers because if not, the hardware couldnt even run. Now, they might not have run optimized, bug-free, non-beta drivers, but im sure they used correct drivers for everything.

that also raises a question, will the 64bit windows be able to run 32 bit apps?

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
yes it runs all 32 bit and 64bit apps if you're running an amd chip. The version for the itanium and itanium2 has been out for a while and you can get it with a hp system