Sign in with
Your question

PIII 667 133 FSB, Best MOBO?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2001 2:33:08 AM

Hi, As my subject says...I have a Pentium III 667 MHz 133 FSB Slot one(can use slotket adapter) processor and I need to buy a great motherboard to match it. I currently have an Abit BX6 2.0 and am happy with it but the chipset is not compatible with the 667. I would really like to hear any and all opinions on the subject. Thanks, Tim

More about : piii 667 133 fsb mobo

September 6, 2001 2:46:43 AM

If it's a flipchip then Asus TUSL2. If it's a slot then a Asus P3V4X

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2001 3:19:22 AM

Your chipset should work fine at 667 You have to set the bus speed manually to 133. The BX has a 1/4 PCI divider that works to keep your PCI speed stack when you clock the chipset up to 133, but the lowest AGP divider is 2/3, which gives you 89MHz AGP instead of 66MHz (actual bus speeds in clock cycles, not to be confused with 2x and 4x factors which are unrelated to clock cycles). Most newer cards can accept the 89MHz AGP bus. And it would cost about the same to upgrade your video card as it would to buy another motherboard. Considering the quality of the motherboard you have, I would keep that, and upgrade the video card only if necessary. The entire GeForce2 series and the entire Radeon series can both handle 89MHz bus quite easily.

Back to you Tom...
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2001 8:20:16 PM

I see, so the reason the system will run on 129 MHz FSB and not 133 is likely the video card? I can't even get the system to try at 133. I have the ASUS AGP-V3400TNT video card. It uses the NVIDIA RIVA TNT 128 bit accelerator. The manual does say bus mastering DMA 2X 66MHz AGP V1.0 Interface. What vid card would be best for the casual 3d gamer? I prefer video capture and tv out if possible.
Thanks!
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2001 10:04:54 PM

TNT cards had difficulty with overclocked AGP ports. You could be having a number of difficulties, from AGP being overclocked to the use of poor quality or underated memory. Also make sure you have the latest BIOS. And a reasonably good power supply.

Oh, one other thing, BE SURE that when you set the bus speed over around 120MHz you set the PCI multiplier at 1/4!

At 133MHz, 1/4 bus speed would provide a 33MHz PCI bus, which is STANDARD.

At 133MHz, 1/3 bus speed provides a 44MHz PCI bus, a sure recipie for FAILURE! If you didn't know you had to change it, this was probably why it didn't work! The corect setting would be:

Ext. Clock (PCI) : 133 (1/4)

Of course the AGP should be set at

AGPCLK/CPUCLK : (2/3)

And 2/3 of 133 is 89MHz, your lowest setting, which also makes the video card a suspect, as old as it is.

Back to you Tom...
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2001 10:09:00 PM

Oh, and I take it you already have "speed hold error" turned off!

Back to you Tom...
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2001 10:15:03 PM

BTW, the best deal I see on a TV-Out video card is the Radeon LE TVO at Newegg.com for only $74. It has both Composite and S-Video connectors that can be sued simultaneously with the monitor (for three output devices). And you can reenable Hyper Z by adding a few simple registry keys.

Back to you Tom...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2001 12:18:36 AM

Thanks for all the valuable info! It is a big help! I have a hobbyist understanding of all this...enough to decipher what you said. I am going to try updating all the driver/program stuff for the ASUS vid card and also check out the tweak utility. If I can't get 100%+ from the PIII I am going to get a new MOBO AND Vid card and turn my other stuff into another computer for the kitchen.
Thanks again,
Tim
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2001 3:18:38 AM

Well, you won't find a much better performing motherboard than the one you have, so I'd try a new video card, make sure your using PC133, use the newest BIOS, etc, first. If you already have PC133 memory and still get memory errors, your Cas Latency may be set too high.

Back to you Tom...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2001 1:34:43 PM

TTT, any other opinions/options??
!