Sign in with
Your question

t-bird 266 with or without ddr

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2001 9:26:58 PM

how much performance do I loose if I use a t-bird without ddr?

More about : bird 266 ddr

September 6, 2001 9:37:07 PM

Depends on which chipsets you want to compare. The newest VIA DDR chipset is the KT266A and it gives up to a 25% boost in performance over the best SDR chipset. However, if you want to go with the original KT266 or the AMD761, you probably won't notice a huge performance difference. Either way, I would go with DDR since the price difference is negligable and the performance increase is there. (Unless you go with ALI Magik1, but we don't have to go there :wink: )
September 6, 2001 10:27:40 PM

Quote:
Either way, I would go with DDR since the price difference is negligable and the performance increase is there.

Agreed, except that the price is exactly the same from Crucial. From other sites, the difference is negligable, like the man said.

Quote:
Unless you go with ALI Magik1, but we don't have to go there

Why not? I have a friend who loves his A7A266, and plenty of people around here like that chipset.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>
Related resources
September 6, 2001 10:43:28 PM

I know that there are several people that like that chipset. I am just giving a little bit of personal opinion based on reviews I have read which show it fairly consistantly being the slowest performer and partially based on past experiences with various ALI chipsets.
September 7, 2001 3:09:57 PM

Performance-wise, I agree. The Ali Magik 1 doesn't do too well.

But remember, you can't judge a book based on the movie they made about it.
Wait, bad analogy.
Umm...you can't judge a stream by the spring that made it?
No, wait a minute here.
Ok, you can't judge a man because of his older brothers, how's that?

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>
September 7, 2001 3:58:11 PM

bad

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red> and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!
!