Sign in with
Your question

CPU Upgrade Problem

Last response: in CPUs
September 7, 2001 3:43:38 PM

My system: Gateway Performance 500, Intel mobo, Phoenix BIOS, 384MB RAM. Trying to upgrade the stock PIII 500MHz Slot 1, SECC2 processor to a PIII 800. With the new processor the machine boots up, posts, and is recognized in the BIOS. But, after about a minute or two, everything freezes up and I must shut down manually. When I replace it with the old 500, everything is fine again.
At first I thought it was overheating, but both processor and heatsink are cool to the touch. The BIOS has the latest upgrade available from Gateway's site. Any suggestions? I've never done this before, and I'm not the most computer savvy guy around. I thought, and was hoping, it would be as simple as pulling out the old CPU and pushing in the new.

More about : cpu upgrade problem

a c 159 à CPUs
September 7, 2001 11:28:34 PM

Your Gateway system probably has a 145 watt power supply. The pentium III 800 requires more power. Try changing to a 250 ps, which you can order cheap on the internet, or find for about $25 at your local computer store. Just loosen the 4 screws that hold it in back of the case, and unplug all the connectors inside. Takes about 15 minutes to change out. Good luck.
September 8, 2001 12:52:39 AM

You might have a problem if your chipset is BX and your processor is 800EB. you need straight 800E for best results. EB is 133Mhz FSB, regular E is 100Mhz FSB
Related resources
September 8, 2001 1:12:45 AM

o1die, I actually have a 200W PSU, so I'm assuming that is not the issue.
Fugger, it is an E processor, 100FSB.
The Gateway papers on this mobo state the following:

"The 4000608 motherboard does not support processors 2507072 and 2507074 or any other Coppermine processors.

This motherboard supports one Pentium II/III processor. The processor's Voltage Identification (VID) pins automatically program the voltage regulator on the motherboard to the required processor voltage. The motherboard currently supports processors that are compliant with the VRM 8.2 DC-DC Converter Design Guidelines document. This is the specification that defines DC-to-DC converters to meet the power requirements of the Intel Pentium II processor and future microprocessors.

Note: This motherboard supports Pentium II processors with a 100 or 66MHz front side bus (FSB).

Processors with a 100MHz FSB should only be used with 100MHz RAM.
Processors with a 66MHz FSB can be used with 100 or 66MHz RAM.
Processor Upgrades The motherboard can be upgraded with Pentium II processors that run at higher speeds by using the configure mode in CMOS.

System Jumper
The system configuration jumper block (J7B1) requires a single jumper to set the configuration mode for the Setup program. This allows for all motherboard configuration to be done in Setup, including processor speed and bus frequency. Do not move this jumper with the system power on.

System Configuration Jumper Settings

Normal Mode
This mode is for normal computer booting and operations. Connect pins 1 and 2 with a jumper to enable the mode. The BIOS uses the current bus/processor frequency ratio, configuration information, and passwords to boot the computer. Access to the Setup program can be restricted using a supervisor or user password. In normal mode, the BIOS attempts an automatic recovery if the configuration information in flash memory is corrupted.

Configure Mode
This mode is for configuring the processor speed and clearing passwords. Connect pins 2 and 3 with a jumper to enable the mode. In this mode, Setup automatically executes after the POST runs, and no password is required. Setup provides the maintenance menu with options for setting the processor speed and clearing passwords . All other Setup screens are also available. Configure mode uses the default BIOS settings for booting, not the current user or supervisor settings. The default settings include the lowest bus/processor frequency ratio the processor supports. When the computer is rebooted, Setup uses the original user and supervisor settings with the exception of the options that were changed. For the configuration changes to take effect after exiting the Setup program, power down the computer, set the configuration jumper to normal mode and boot the computer. In configure mode, the BIOS attempts an automatic recovery if the configuration information in flash memory is corrupted.

Recovery Mode
This mode is for recovering BIOS data. Remove the jumper (no pins connected) from the configuration jumper block to enable this mode. After the computer is powered on, the BIOS attempts to upgrade or recover the BIOS data from a diskette in the floppy drive. If the recovery fails with a diskette in the boot drive, a beep code indicates that the recovery failed. If a diskette is not in the boot drive, the BIOS attempts to run the POST, does not boot the operating system and displays a message that the jumper is not properly installed. For the configuration changes to take effect after a successful recovery, power down the computer, set the configuration jumper to normal mode and boot the computer."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the PIII 800Mhz, 100FSB, Slot 1, SECC2 processor a Coppermine core? If so, how can the mobo be compatable with up to a PIII 800, but then state it is NOT compatable with any Coppermine CPU?
September 8, 2001 1:33:36 AM

I just have a quick question:
I am running P III 600/133 .18 micron on my computer with 185 watt pwr supply.
I'm about to upgrade to pIII 1 gig tomm.

will the 1 gig work with this pwr supp. unit?
September 8, 2001 11:23:52 AM

Wusy, it's actually a Gateway, with an Intel mobo and a Phoenix BIOS. I have the latest BIOS update right off the Gateway site. So, are you saying that with this mobo, I simply will not be able to run the PIII 800 because it's a Coppermine? Gateway's documentation on this mobo says, first, it will accept CPU's up to PIII 800. Next, it says this mobo is NOT compatable with Coppermine processors.
Isn't the PIII 800 a Coppermine processor? Seems to be a contradiction there????
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2001 3:00:06 PM

Yep,
That's Gateway for ya...
I had a p2 333MHz on a phoenix bios and when I tried to upgrade, was told that I could not and that 333 was the highest speed that I could run on a 66MHz mobo... : (
Have built my own since then.
Generally I would have to say that all brand name pc's will have some upgrade issues to deal with.

Down at pants n at wit Donnie Iris
September 8, 2001 3:12:47 PM

not for long

if in doubt blame microsoft...
September 8, 2001 3:19:38 PM

Yeah, unfortunately for me, that's Gateway. Does ANYONE know of a workaround to make this chip work with this mobo?
I'm thinking if it will run for 15 minutes or so before freezing, there must be a way??!! Or, is that the desperate thoughts of an insane man............
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2001 11:36:00 PM

Wussy, everything you said is completely wrong. The BX supports the Coppermine as long as BIOS supports it's microcode. So many BX motherboards DO support Coppermines 9including several Gateway models). Now Gateway and Dell often both used the SAME INTEL MOTHERBOARD for their systems, except that Dell had theirs modified for their custom power supply and front panel header. Reliability is not an issue with the STANDARD version Gateway uses.

Back to you Tom...
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2001 11:50:59 PM

I would try to use Intel's standard BIOS for it. Intel BIOS tends to be more up-to-date than Gateway's. You can usually look up the motherboard by it's BIOS on Intel's website at <A HREF="http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/bios.htm" target="_new">http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/bios.htm&...;/A>. In the old days, the end of the code for the Intel motherboard would be something like BS0, CS1, BR0, etc, while Gateway's would be BS0T, CS1T, BR0T, etc. The T being an OEM identifier for Gateway. But in recent years Intel has been specifying OEM-Only boards, this might be one of those. In that case, the latest BIOS for it from Gateway can be found <A HREF="http://www.gateway.com/support/product/drivers/bios/4w4..." target="_new">HERE</A>.

Back to you Tom...
!