To shim or not to shim

G

I'm putting together a new T-Bird 1.4 system and decided to go with the Thermalright SK-6 and the 30cfm delta. I also ordered a tube of the Artic II thermal compound. Being that the SK-6 is an all copper solution I should not need the shim or will I see a benifit from using it?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
It makes no real difference either way, make sure you put it on right and be careful you shouldnt need one.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Due to AMD's suck ass manufacturing process and inability to produce cores consistantly at the same heigth every time. so the shim you have might not fit properly.

If its too high then HSF will not touch the core (hi keychain), its its too low then wtf good is it? GL and try not to crack your core like soooo many others have done.

Shims should be made from a tough rubber that doesnt melt at low temp so that it has some give to adjust down to core level and still provide some protection to the core from too much pressure and remain level.

G

i would go shim. Its very good lowers the Athlon PCB board temp to you now.

THG Rocks !

Era

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2001
I had a question for you,a really good one.I am sure you would've loved to answer to it.But I won't ask you becauce I've read one too many of your posts(or many enough).

How does one make a fugger go away?

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
4 sure, NO SHIM, IMHO.

It's not that hard to install a HSF, but if you're that worried, ask someone who knows how to do it 4 ya.

The shim may actually interfere with proper contact. In which case you've fried your CPU in about 4 sec.

If you think about the tight tolerance needed ti insure
the shim is the exact height of the die...the shim would
be an expensive piece of finely machined material.

"Get the facts first. You can distort them later." - Mark Twain
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bud on 09/07/01 05:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Installing the hsf is not the issue. This will be the tenth machine I,ve put together but the last one I built was an amd k6-2/500 (what I'm using now) and i've been doing alot of research on the newer cpu's hsf's mobo etc etc and things have defenitally changed. The only reason I was asking was of some of the comments I've read about the fragile nature of the amd. The thermalright (rec today) has a pretty meaty looking clip. I dont know why other companies have not gone the route of swiftech and there clips. I saw an example of how not to install a heatsink at coolerguys websight under one of there "how to" links.
Anyways I appreciate the help. Thanks

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
To make FUGGER go away, one merely has to catch him in a lie, then he will madly spend cash and fry components to match his origional claims, distorting them ofcourse. I got rid of him for 3 weeks this way lol.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
NO shim. You've got to get the heatsink centered directly over the CPU core, with even pressure all around. Otherwise, you could chip the sides of the core ... and destroy the processor. A shim that causes uneven pressure will do more harm than good.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Care to explain how you did that?

You don't have to post it here if you don't want to but you could send me a private message if that's alright.

Check out my rig:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737</A>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
See the thread My3dmark2001 score, its on the main page now, read it carefully, to see how I got FUGGER.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
To summarise the whole thread, FUGGER claimed he got a score of 7500 on a 1.8ghz p4 and a stock gf3, this is impossiblke, I called him a liar, he then proceded to overclock his gf3 to match his claims, never quite reacing them, and burning out his videocard in the process. He dissapeared for a few weeks and now has posted a score of 7300, the interesting thing is now he has a 2.2ghz p4 instead of the 1.8, so it appears he bought a new cpu to back up his bs claim.

In total, he lied origionally, and this was proven. Even his ammended claims are obviously false, you really should read the whole thread, its hilarious, especially when he announces he fried his gf3, THEN, he links us to a "comparable setup" to prove his claim is possible, I emailed this person and linked him to the thread, and fuggers OWN defence emailed me back saying FUGGER was full of [-peep-]. LOL

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~