Sign in with
Your question

I have $500. Help!

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2001 2:48:38 AM

I need a new CPU + Mobo + Sound Card + Ram.

I am trying to take out those components from my current P2 300 128 RAM piece of .... and put in the above. I assume the PU is sufficent, since it's powering 3 drives, 2 HDs, a GeFroce2 Pro, 2 modems.

I only have about $500 to spend, excludng shipping charges and such.... You're prolly wondering what my main focus is...

Well, I want mainly two things: super-fast games & DVD play, with superior sound (I know jack about sound cards, but I would like some of those 3D-sound features and such..., whatever they are). I want a cpu/mobo that can make use of the GeForce2 Pro 64MB card that is being bottlenecked by my current PC.

I was looking at AMDs, since Pentiums tend to be more expensive... and ram at least 256, tho 512 would be prefered. Please help me choose the right components?

Thanks in advance!

More about : 500

September 8, 2001 2:58:12 AM

You certaintly don;t need 512 RAM for what you want to do. 256 is good enough.

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.
September 8, 2001 3:08:50 AM

Some may disagree with this, but they're free to post whatever they want. First off, Athlons SUCK power. Literally. Check how big your PSU is...If i's less than 350 Watts, get rid of it.

Assuming you have a sufficient power supply:

Athlon 1.4 GHz (266 FSB) $120
HSF $40
Soyo K7V Dragon Mobo $160
Hercules Game Theater XP $120 (OEM)
2xCrucial 256MB DDR RAM $40

That pretty much covers everything, and comes to $500.

Now you may be asking, why not a Soundblaster Live!. Well, Not only do Hercules look cooler (Always a plus with the sweet-a$$ Soyo dragon) but they don't have that heavy EAX positional sound that Soundblaster has. There have also been some problems with VIA Southbridges and Soundblaser Lives!. That system is pretty kickin', but it will turn your video card into a bottle neck. Possible upgrades include getting "only" 256MB and getting a DVD Decoder card, instead. A second option would be to give the money to me, i'll find good a use for it ;) 

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
Related resources
September 8, 2001 3:11:08 AM

Crucial 512mb DDR $72
Case + 400watt PS $70
Athlon 1.4ghz $110
Decent HSF $20-40
Philips Acoustics Edge $60
ECS K7S5A (SiS735)* $65
==$417

If you don't need to buy/make your computer right now, you could wait until Asus releases their A7S266 motherboard that uses the SiS 735 chipset (I don't know when that will be exactly) or some other top-tier motherboard maker.
Be warned, there is a guy named "BunnyEars" or something like that, who will discourage you from buying the Philips sound card. Don't let his misfortune discouage you from buying this great sound card. There is something wrong with the WDM drivers and Windows2000 for the SEISMIC Edge, but NOT the ACOUSTICS EDGE (don't get the two mixed up!!!)
BTW-you won't need to buy a seperate, dedicated DVD Decoder card if your using a 500mhz+ CPU.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
September 8, 2001 3:17:43 AM

3 points, Stick_E_Mouse. First off, any case with a 400W PSU is sh*t. The PSU probably isn't athlon approved or something. Don't gve the guy a crappy PSU and case. Second of all, why do you like the SiS735...I thought it was more "value" than "high-end"? Thirdly, I think it would be worth it to get the GameTheater XP rather than the Acoustic Edge (I read that in a review somewhere...).

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
September 8, 2001 3:29:27 AM

>>"Any case with a 400 watt PS is sh|t."
Can you justify that? So does a 300watt PS that is AMD approved automatically make it better?? If the guy wants to go high-end, he could spend the extra $83 and buy an "AMD Approved" 500watt PS if it will make him happy.

>>" Second of all, why do you like the SiS735...I thought it was more "value" than "high-end"?"
Go do a little more research. You'll see it is MORE than just "value"--it's the FASTEST CURRENT athlon chip (not including Via's KT266A), and it also far more stable than Via's current KT266 Chip w/the 686b southbridge.

>> "think it would be worth it to get the GameTheater XP rather than the Acoustic Edge "
In my opinion, the Acoustics Edge is slightly better than the GT XP when comparing sound qualiy to sound quality. But the GT XP certainly kills anything else in terms of extra features. I think we can let the guy decide which one is more important to him.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
September 8, 2001 3:49:01 AM

First point...I meant at that price. $70 is a little to cheap for my tastes for a 400W PSU AND a case. It's worth getting a good quality case and PSU, or just sticking with the ones the guy already has.

September 10, 2001 2:25:54 PM

I think a 300w will work fine. As long as it is from a good company such as enermax or such. He's not going to have a lot of power hungry drives so he should be ok with that. The only problem is it doesn't leave much room for upgrading. But you have to realize that he is on a budget so he can't always go with what is best.

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red> and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!
!