Sign in with
Your question

Motorolla announces 70GHz Processor

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2001 5:52:56 AM

It seems that with the help of a new substance or compound that Motorolla and IQE discovered, allowing for a cheap optical bus I believe, which in theory should have no bottlenecks. Here's the link http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/story.jsp?s...
Sorry if someone already posted this.
September 8, 2001 6:59:52 AM

aounds good. but we'll probably be waiting a while!!!!

Although it has a lot of good ideas, beer doesn't know anything about computers!!!
September 8, 2001 12:18:38 PM

Well the only future technology i'm waiting for is -MRAM-.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
Related resources
September 8, 2001 10:59:07 PM

Rcf you arent waiting for si gar? It will let transistors turn off and on 40 times faster, motorola is gonna clean up with that tech.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2001 11:56:55 PM

My TI-83 says it will probably take 33.5 months to become comercially viable and 56.3 to find it's way into a consumer good.

Back to you Tom...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2001 12:49:35 AM

That's ok, I don't mind the wait, Rome wasn't built in a day. Besides I'll be strapped for cash when I start working on overhauling my PC with a new mobo (consequently with new RAM) and a Athlon 1.4GHz to go with it. I can only imagine how much that Motorolla CPU will cost when it is released to the public.
September 9, 2001 1:00:40 AM

Actually I think the point of their breakthrough is that it doesn't cost much to produce these chips.
IBM have already made 210 GHz chips, but they didn't use this new technology, and are REALLY expensive to make.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
September 9, 2001 5:44:53 AM

ok so they have a theoretically fast chip, how does that translate to x86 code? or will we all be using motorola pc's
the new apple?
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2001 6:23:53 AM

Hey, if Apples ran at 210GHz I would be using one! No kidding, even Windows emulation software would run faster than on a REAL Windows machine at only 1/100 the speed!

Back to you Tom...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2001 6:31:24 AM

ummm...these chips were announced generally for network and telecom applications....

they probably aren't very good for your everyday computing needs....

for the near future what i would keep an eye on is as said...molecular ram and the integrated pipelined cmos chip from IBM (which could have a 4ghz chip out by Q2 next year)
September 9, 2001 6:35:53 AM

I believe Motorola will be licensing out the technology, so the chips will still be made by Intel, AMD, etc, but they will be paying Motorola for the use of the technology.
We probably wont see desktop computers build in this way for some time anyway, so don't hold your breath.

a b à CPUs
September 9, 2001 7:05:12 AM

Looking forward to quantum computing with x86 emulation to run Windows 98SE (Hah!)!

Back to you Tom...
September 9, 2001 7:28:20 AM

How about a quantum computer with x86 emulation running Linux with a Windows emulator. ;) 

a b à CPUs
September 9, 2001 8:57:02 AM

OMG, I think Linux will probably be NATIVE to quantum computing?

Back to you Tom...
September 9, 2001 1:34:48 PM

The gallium arsenide chips were very expensive to make due to the frgility of the substrate(ie poor yields with high input costs), therefore they were only used for small io chips where you NEEDED that transistor speed, motorola has found a way to make a ga/a substrate ONTOP of a silicon substrate., which means the chip will be much more rugged, better yielding and maintain all of the speed advantages of the ga/a.
This is applicable to ANY semiconductor, the line lengths and timing would have to be changed, so a new design would be needed ofcourse, but this technology will give a HUGE benifit to future processors, and amd and intel would be stupid not to license it asap. Like soi, this technology would not require new tools(at least I dont think so, maybe some ga/a etch tools, but nothing super fancy! This devlopment is a good thing, a very good thing.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
!