No Sound

gmoliatu

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I recently installed windows 7 full version. I had Vista which was giving me all types of problems on my laptop including, but not limited to loss of sound. The sound shows it's working but it's not. I tried everything whenI had vista to no avail. Any ideas?

boju

Titan
Ambassador

gmoliatu

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Thanks again! I did what you said to no avail. On the playback devices it shows Conexant H.D> Smasrt Audio HD2 (Default Device).
SPDIF Interface HD2 (Ready). I only have the front harman kardon speakers on my laptop and do not use headphones. If you have any ideas please e-mail me Thanks!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
ok sounds like by reading around there may have been an update from Microsoft that has caused conflicts with the Conexant H.D Smart Audio HD2 device and the driver is not initializing on startup.

Go to device manager and uninstall Conexant H.D Smart Audio HD2.
- Control Panel\System and Security\System\Device Manager

Reboot and let Windows install it's own sound driver. It will be called "High Definition Audio Device"

Hope this helps.

gmoliatu

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

Thanks again for all your help. I did everything you said and nothing worked.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
ok lets recap, i'll run through a list and if you can please, answer each one in the same format. Whats your Laptop by the way?

1. What kind of cable are you using for the speakers? is it left/right rca to 3.5mm audio jack like shown below?
stereo20rca20mji1.jpg

2. Are the speakers using the right ports on the laptop? Have you tried connecting the speakers to the headphone jack?

3. Did uninstalling the Conexant H.D Smart Audio HD2 give you High Definition Audio Device or Realtek High Definition Audio in audio playback devices?

4. What is set to default audio source?

5. Which green bars are moving to correspond sound playback?

6. Volume key on the laptop keyboard all the way up?

7. If the audio cable in question 1 is being used make sure you've configured your playback device to analogue by choosing the playback device called 'Speakers' and set default.

8. If question 7 goes ahead, right click 'Speakers' and go to Properties. Under DTS tab - if this is enabled, disable it. Under Advanced tab - set quality to 16Bit, 48000hz (DVD quality)

Numbers 7 and 8 are under the assumption you might be using an analogue cable similar to the picture in #1. If your speakers are using an optical cable shown below, then we'll get to that if you are.

th

+1

You seem to have covered all the basis I was going to ask so I will simply wait idly by :na:

:bounce:

gmoliatu

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

My computer is a Toshiba Satelite p105-s6177.

1-2- I never had rca cables on my computer for speakers. I only used the built i harman kardon speakers installed on the computer, which worked fine. I never had headphones.
connected.
3-When I uninstalled conexant Smart Audio HD2 I got an unknown audio device. I upgraded it and the conexant Smart Audio HD2 Returned.
4-The conexant Smart Audio HD2 speakers. The spdif interface conexan HD Smart Audio HD 2 says ready.
5- Both
6-Yes
7-N/A
8-Wha is the DTS tab?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
DTS is just another digital format in a menu when clicking into properties of the playback device you're using. It is probably not enabled but was worth a check anyway because digital and extremely high quality sound settings may mute some sound playback.

Did you restart the computer after uninstalling the smart audio driver? Windows 7 should have installed its own generic driver.

You said upgraded, did you download a newer version from Toshiba's website and install?

im guessing the Smart audio hd2 speakers set to default has a speaker icon picture next in playback devices and is the right playback source.

It is looking like a driver conflict with windows 7 and not faulty hardware since the speakers were working in Vista. Headphones would help you see if there's at least some sound coming from the laptop somewhere.

You mentioned installing full windows 7 (not upgrade from vista?) did you manage to install the other drivers for the laptop like the chipset drivers etc.

If you haven't installed the necessary drivers for your laptop to operate properly under windows 7 then i recommend going here and let Toshiba automatically install for you by installing their Toshiba driver download tool.

http://www.official-drivers.com/installer/?seed=toshiba&gclid=CInJo_qBoLUCFQcipQod1DcA7A

The operating system is not passing sound onto the built in speakers so something is either not installed or not installed properly. See if Toshiba driver download/updater can fix it for you and update Windows as well using auto updates.

gmoliatu

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Sorry if I gave you that impression! I never said the speakers were working with Vista. They stopped working al of a sudden about a year ago. I goggled everal times trying to find a solution. After all the frustration I thought if I installed Windows7 my soundwoud return. As we now know it didn't. Thanks!

No I didn't restart after uninstalling. Will try.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
ok cool try restarting, let or see if windows 7 will install its own driver.

Its either something to do with Microsoft Vista/Win7 updates not agreeing with Toshiba's sound driver or the speakers them selves have gone bad.

Will need to get in contact with Toshiba, they may know the problem. Before you do, buy some cheap headphones, even borrow something to try, if there is sound coming from the headphone jack it will narrow down probabilities.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
going through the manual for your laptop, have you been using FN key + esc key. The esc key should have a speaker picture printed on it. Locate the key with FN printed on it, hold it down and press esc.

This is used to toggle mute on/off for the speakers. It might work with the generic driver if Windows does install one, if not reinstall the original driver.

gmoliatu

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

I just deletd the conexant HD smart audio HD2 again and it installed high definition device. Now what?

Double click the speaker icon in the lower right hand of the desktop, this will bring up the mixer, or single click to bring up the volume control. Laptops: see below, third paragraph.
Check the setting of the mixer or volume control.
But in case the volume is missing, corrupted, or the audio is otherwise non-functional:
you check whichever audio was installed:
click start, click control panel, click add remove programs, look at the list...
which audio software is shown on the list? delete it, restart the computer.

now visit the motherboard manufacturer or computer manufacturer's website
look up your computer drivers by model number
download the latest audio drivers, save on the desktop...
turn the antivirus off,
if you have multiple security programs installed, turn them all off
(your driver may not install if security systems are turned on)
now load your new audio driver, restart, turn the antivirus back on.

Laptops: Your volume controls may be built into the keyboard. (varies according to make and model number)
OR: your volume control may be a knob, located near the headphone jack.
Download the entire manual for your computer model from the manufacturer's website.
The manual will show you where all the keyboard audio or wireless ethernet controls are located.
But besides the manufacturer keyboard controls, you will still have software controls, as above. (first paragraph)
So if "either one of these volume controls is turned to "zero" you will have no sound. If the Mixer is turned to zero, or muted, you will have no sound.
Hmmm, better check that.