Here are my specs:
850mhz Ahtlon Thunderbird
Epox
256mb Ram
40gb Maxtor
Sound Blaster Live
Winfast (leadtek) Geforce 2 mx

Here is my problem:
I went to lan yesterday, everything went fine. I came home, set up my computer and tried to start it up. I recieved an error similar to this "Your display settings are incapatable with your hardware".

I have delt with that error message before, not a big deal. I figure I could just re-install the drivers. So that's what I do, I re-install the drivers and reboot the system.

System boots up as normal, but after the windows start up screen, I get a black screen with a blinking typing cusor. And the system stalls there.

I boot up in safe mode, and check the device manager, turns out I have 5 copies of video cards intalled. As well as, my scanner is installed twice, and my monitor is intalled twice. Anyways I remove all duplicates, and reboot.

Then I get the "Device is incompatable" message again. I get into windows, and remove the video card thinking I could just re-install the drivers. But When I reboot windows atmatically installs drivers for me.... Then after it asks me too reboot and I do, I get the blank screen with the cursor. Anyone have any ideas?

More about : problems startup

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2001 2:30:19 AM

Try removing ALL the drivers in duplicated fields before rebooting. When windows reboots it will only be installed once.

sudden unexpected cessation of computer activity with a sudden unexpected increase in user activity=
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2001 2:59:03 AM

I tried that.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 9, 2001 4:29:06 AM

I had a similar problem on a friends computer....

instead of just blaintly going into device manager in safe mode...go to ADD/REMOVE HARDWARE...than go to UNINSTALL DEVICE......when it lists a clickable box that says "Show all hidden...." CHECK IT OFF, so its marked...and than go through each device listing.....and anythign that yoru having problems with (AKA Video Card) uninstall it...and everything associated with the video card....also remove EVERYTHIGN that appears as duplicates...keep in mind after uninstall each device you'll haev to keep going back into the ADD/REMOVE HARDWARE feature.....but it should work....give it a go... =)

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2001 6:02:57 AM

Maybe I'm stupid, but I can't find any add/remove hardware tab/icon. Care to point me in the right direction?

Thanks for the help!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BicThePen on 09/09/01 02:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 9, 2001 7:16:41 AM

probably a case of a loose agp card. just pull out the card and reseat it properly. happened to me once when I took it out to clean the blue orb and didn't plug it back it properly.

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink:
September 9, 2001 7:16:41 AM

probably a case of a loose agp card. just pull out the card and reseat it properly. happened to me once when I took it out to clean the blue orb and didn't plug it back it properly.

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2001 8:42:38 AM

START SETINGS CONTROL PANEL

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2001 8:43:18 AM

no offence but for someone who cant find the control panel, u sure u know how to install hardware?

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--
September 9, 2001 12:27:49 PM

LOL

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise
September 12, 2001 6:47:12 PM

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to build a AMD based system, but it does take a rocket scientist to install a HSF on one.

Well at least this guy saved a few bucks, even tho he cannot use his PC. he saved alot!
September 12, 2001 6:49:12 PM

Your an idiot fugger, just because you have problems painting by number don't take it out on the rest of us by trolling.

<b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> eat Trolls as a delicacy.
September 13, 2001 9:29:12 AM

often a black screen on boot after updating display drivers is caused by old agp drivers, go into safe, change your display to "standard vga pci" and remove ALL other display devices from dev manbager and also any other software relating to them, then remove your agp drivers, reboot, install latest agp drivers, reboot, install display drivers.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
!