Sign in with
Your question

Computer Stuffed 2

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computer
Last response: in CPUs
September 9, 2001 11:50:05 PM

I have posted about this before and tried all of the suggestions but i still have no luck.

Here are the sysmptoms, my computer continually breaks-down and up untill today it was frequent at aabout every two weeks it breaks down. However today it stuffed up after just one day. Here are my computers Specs.
Athlon 1.4Ghz
Asus A7M266 Motherboard.
256 MB Hyundai PC-1600 DDR Ram.
Hercules Dynamite TNT2 Ultra Vid/Card.
On-Baord Sound.
Has network card but don't know which brand.

The errors which i recieved up untill today were as follows, one time when i tuned my computer on, it said that i had a error on line 1 of my config.sys, so I edited that and when it loaded windows all of my files were corrupt and lost. Twice when i get into windows any application it tries to load brings up a kernell32 error, even trying to load the little speaker at start-up does this. Another time, a game of counter-strike locked up i restarted my computer and it wouldn't load windows, when i booted in dos i only had 3 files on the hdd, and a dos scandisk said that i have 8GB of lost clusters.

The most recent error occurs straight after my windows background appears, it brings up a kernell32 error before it tries to open up any other programs and will not continue it does this in safe mode also.

Some people have said it is a virus in my boot-sector, so i have done virus scans with Norton and nothing is found, i did a low-level format and that did nothing so i am wiping out the chance of it being a virus i think. It must be something else.

Someone out there must know what is wrong with my computer.

Psyclone

<b>What was that!</b> :eek: 

More about : computer stuffed

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2001 11:53:15 PM

>Athlon 1.4Ghz
>Asus A7M266 Motherboard.
>256 MB Hyundai PC-1600 DDR Ram.

Are you running that ram at 100 or 133 Mhz ??

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip
September 9, 2001 11:57:09 PM

Hi,
I'm running it at 133, i know pc-1600 ram is 100 only, however when i bought it they said that it was pc-2100, when i rand them to find out about it because at startup it says pc-1600, they said that was normal.

Related resources
September 10, 2001 12:00:01 AM

DRAM-Frequency = PC-1600.

Whenever i reset my bios it detects it as PC-100, have i been screwed

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2001 12:01:02 AM

>because at startup it says pc-1600, they said that was normal

Its NOT. Well, if you run it at 133, its not normal you get PC1600 reading from your bios.. If its really PC1600, you should definatly NOT run it at 133.. try running your fsb and memory clock at 100 Mhz, and see if the problem remains.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip
September 10, 2001 12:28:26 AM

would this cause all of the problems which i have been having keeping in mind that it normally takes two weeks to stuff up the computer

September 10, 2001 12:32:14 AM

I just checked the sticker opn the RAM and even it reads: -
"Hyundai Korea 01"
"PC2100-U25330"
"HYMD1326458-H AA"
"256MB DDR 266MHz CL2.5"

Therefore if this RAM really is pC-1600/pc-100 would the place where i bought it from have changed the sticker or cold it be a mistake by hyundai

September 10, 2001 1:58:31 AM

What are the numbers on the individual RAM chips?

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.
September 10, 2001 2:42:28 AM

The individual numbers are like the one listed below.

"Hyundai 122A"
"HY5DU28822T-H"
"KOREA"

September 10, 2001 3:14:23 AM

when you zero filled your drive, did you run a diagnostic on it? its worth a try.
September 10, 2001 3:37:01 AM

I was hoping to identify the speed of your memory by finding the speed of the individual chips but I don't know how to decode the Hyundai part number. I'm pretty sure the "-H" in "HY5DU28822T-H" is the speed code but who knows what it means.

a b à CPUs
September 10, 2001 4:04:20 AM

Okay, let's see, H is the EIGHTH letter of the alphabet, which could correspond to 8ns=PC100 @ DDR = PC1600. Sound coincedental or correct?

Back to you Tom...
September 10, 2001 3:24:54 PM

phsstpok, I am offended by your signature. Please change it :) 

Crash I think you're grasping at straws, but I'd believe you over most other people around here...

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>
September 10, 2001 4:33:10 PM

Good theory crash, but what would they use to signify 7.5ns ram? G/H?

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
September 10, 2001 8:05:13 PM

Quote:
Okay, let's see, H is the EIGHTH letter of the alphabet, which could correspond to 8ns=PC100 @ DDR = PC1600. Sound coincedental or correct?

That's what I was thinking. However, I did a net search on the part number HY5..-H, whatever it was, and a bunch of PC2100 sales links popped up. I could not find any authoritative answers.

September 10, 2001 8:40:18 PM

Quote:
phsstpok, I am offended by your signature. Please change it :) 

Get over it! :cool:

September 10, 2001 9:04:58 PM

windows... evil... corrupts... hard drive... mmm

if in doubt blame microsoft...
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2001 7:04:18 AM

Well, that shoots that idea.

Back to you Tom...
September 11, 2001 7:23:32 AM

to me none of that sounds like a ram issue. i've had issues with master boot reccords (MBR) before that have produced simmilar problems. a corrupt mbr could screw with your file allocation tables and possibly give you the errors you're seeing. did you do a fresh install of your os, or did you install over another? particularly...did you install 98 over 95 and switch to fat32? you didn't list your hd but if it was boxed it might have some utility on the install disk for mbr recovery or something like that. i think western digital does, not sure about maxtor or others.

"no vesige of a begining, no prospect of an end, when we all disenigrate, it'll all happpen again."
September 11, 2001 10:45:50 PM

Sorry about taking so long to reply my computer crashed AGAIN!. I have a seagate HDD, it is a Barracuda ATA II 30GB HDD. I have downloaded the discwizard software from the Internet in order to low level format, but i dont know what 1/2 the other stuff is. Any help about using this program to test my HDD would be helpful. I have put windows XP on my computer to see if that will do anything but i doubt it. I took my ram back to place i bought it from and got a new stick (i dont know the proper word SIMM or something like that) but the errors stil continued.

September 11, 2001 10:49:26 PM

HDD model number is:

ST330630A;
lots of info at www.seagate.com if it helps any of you to help me.

September 11, 2001 10:51:25 PM

sorry, never personaly used the prog myself. my opinion is that it most certainly isn't the ram. i think the low level format will fix the problem with the mbr. of course, formating is a pain in the butt. just be sure to back everything up and read the onscreen instructions when you run the prog (read 'em twice, and keep those fingers away from the kb).

"no vesige of a begining, no prospect of an end, when we all disenigrate, it'll all happpen again."
September 11, 2001 11:12:22 PM

I think you must have mis-understood me. I have allready done the low-level format to see if that fixed it.

September 11, 2001 11:48:59 PM

you're right, i misunderstood. i'm sorry, that was the only thing i could think of. i'm sorry it didn't work.

!