Sign in with
Your question

What is rac task windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 14, 2010 1:20:37 PM

Hello, Every morning, after computer has been idle for some time, it will not work for 5-20 minutes. I found that a program called "RAC Task" was running just before the computer started up again. Can this program be disabled or rescheduled to a better time?

More about : rac task windows

a b $ Windows 7
May 14, 2010 6:02:55 PM

It's not a Windows 7 program.

Are you running some type of Remote Access program?
In Task Manager highlight RAC TASK, right mouse click and choose "Go To Process".
You'll find the name of the program that is running and you can right click, choose Open File Location. Hopefully, you'll recognize the program folder.

Can this program be disabled or rescheduled to a better time? Run the program and look for options.
m
l
September 29, 2010 8:52:57 PM

WR2, you are wrong. Why do post an answer, if you don't have a clue?

RACTask is part of Windows 7. It is the Microsoft Reliability Analysis task to process system reliability data.

I have the same problem. Windows 7 freezes for 5 -30 minutes when I come back to it after it has idled. I can move the mouse, but nothing on screen responds. This happens about once a week on a clean install of Windows 7. Sometimes the mouse will freeze after I move it around for a minute. So far, if I let it sit long enough, it has always un-frozen. There are no errors or warnings in event log. Task Manager shows no CPU usage increases. All my mouse clicks are buffered so when it finally unfreezes, I have a flurry of activity on the screen.

RACTask runs when your computer is booted up and every hour thereafter. I just happened to notice it had "completed successfully" around the time my computer un-froze. I don't know if it's related. (I think it might be my ATI graphics card or my Seagate hard drive firmware... just guessing though and wish I could find a solution).
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2012 1:05:23 PM

well be sure because i leased a computer from rent-a-center and there a lot of files with RAC rent a center.
so i am looking also because i believe it is tracking my location and actions.
patrick kmadjescleve@hotmail.com
m
l
April 27, 2012 4:28:33 AM

Rac task was causing my pc to restart after an hour of use because of conflicts with my graphics drivers (ATI) so i disabled it in the task scheduler.
maybe this will solve your freezing problems...
hope i helped^_^
m
l
July 13, 2012 3:05:43 AM

You can disable RAC by open scheduler in control panel and then go to Microsoft- Windows - RAC - RacTask and then right click and choose disable.
m
l
January 23, 2013 9:41:32 PM

Run a hard drive diagnostics program after you inspect every inspectable part of the inside of your computer.
m
l
January 23, 2013 9:42:30 PM

kmadjesclee said:
well be sure because i leased a computer from rent-a-center and there a lot of files with RAC rent a center.
so i am looking also because i believe it is tracking my location and actions.
patrick kmadjescleve@hotmail.com

Put a new hard drive in it. Well, don't. But it would solve the problem...
m
l
February 3, 2013 9:56:31 AM

As was said, this is the Microsoft Reliability Analysis Component task. It is installed by default. A clean install of course will not fix any issues with it. :-)

You can Disable it in Scheduled Tasks under RAC in the Windows directory. Click RAC in the directory list on right. Right-click the task in the right pane and chose 'Disable'. Reboot and you should not have to deal with it again.

Here is a link to a little article on it:
http://www.msigeek.com/5544/how-to-enable-data-collecti...

This likely gathers Windows Software/Hardware Reliability data and sends it to Microsoft for analysis. They use info from Thousands of users to spot potential issues. One-offs are not even noticed. Microsoft is certainly NOT tracking you!
Unfortunately, in this case, the tool to help improve reliability is the cause of the issue. It was using 50% CPU in my case.
m
l
!