2x 256mb PC2100 DDR RAM
Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM HD
Visiontek GeForce 3
HP CDRW 9100 Series
Creative PC-DVD 12x
D-Link 10/100 NIC
Asus iPanel
Onboard Sound Enabled

Windows 2000 Professional (Service Pack 2 Installed)
DirectX 8.0
Nvidia 12.41 Drivers
Via 4-1 v4.32 (minus AGP driver)
AMD v5.22 Miniport for Windows 2000
Windows 2000 Registry patch for AGP port

Unreal Tournament
Half-Life
AOL Instant Messenger
DirectCD
Easy CD Creator

Here is the problem:

I recently bought and installed the game "Operation Flashpoint." Everything was running smoothly (I had been playing already for around 10 days). After booting up my computer and running it one morning I fould I got an error on bootup: "Cannot Create 3D Device." After my anger subsided I went to the Flashpoint forums and posted about this; I have yet to receive any response back. I did learn though that other people are having these same problems, and also learned that it seems to be a problem with Direct 3D. One member suggested that people check if they have any problems when running the D3D and AGP tests in DirectX Diagnostics. I ran these and both came up with errors that previously did not occur. This is my first problem. My second possibly arises from this. After having these errors, now whenever I enter a game and exit, my monitor seems to change refresh rates twice and then my system reboots. This has occured for me under Half-Life and Unreal Tournament, and is only when I start a game, go to the menu, and then try to resume it or exit from the menu. My system promptly reboots for no apparent reason. I am completely unsure of what is causing this.

To fix this, I first thought it was a problem with DirectX, but after re-installing I still have the same problems. Next I tried re-installing my video drivers; this did not help either.

DirectX Diagnostics are the only thing telling me I have a problem (that is, software analysis) and I am unsure of what to do. Problems are noticible in any programs I run that utilize D3D. In Half-Life in D3D, it turns into a 5 frames a second slideshow, while under OpenGL, 100+ FPS s possible. This is about the same for Unreal Tournament. Another interesting fact to note is that I had Mechwarrior 4 previously installed. Before it would automatically configure itself for maximum detail, but after these problems it would immediatly detect to lowest detail. I have since un-installed it.

If anyone has ANY ideas on how to remedy these problems, I would be most obliged. I am just hoping a full format/re-install of Windows 2000 is not needed.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
You could force the complete uninstalation of direct x, and then reinstall it.

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
That's a problem though, Windows often "uninstalls" a package without removing all its files, then leaves you completely on your own when it comes to removing the files it left behind! I love that...

Perhaps backup personal data, format C:, and reinstall?

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
I was thinking more of using specialized software to kill Direct x - there is at least one piece of software that does that.
Then, if it doesn't work, format and reinstall

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Before backup format and reinstall, try to "murder" direct X with a removing tool (DXBuster?). Also remove your graphic board drivers with a removing tool (NVClean). Then reinstall both Direct X and the video drivers.
Once I had a texture problem in one game that was solved only this way (granted that reformating ans reinstalling would probably have worked too).

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm, seems normal to me. I thought there was a problem somewhere in this post... my mistake.

This is normal behavior of a AMD based system. deal with it or get a Intel based system.

Like all the others, this guys saved a bundle and is enjoying his rig to the fullest.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Right, since DirectX is incompatable with AMD. Wait a minute, no it's not.

<font color=green>In memory of those who died, simply because they lived in America.
Rest in peace.</font color=green>

G

If it only does this while you have that game installed then i would say it is in the software seldom are these problems caused by windows.Also check for a virus best to do this with is called command.