Sign in with
Your question

How much power do I need for this configuration?

Last response: in CPUs
September 10, 2001 12:18:29 AM

Here is my new config:
T bird 1.4 with Global Win CAK38 cooler
Gigabyte 7DXR
256DDR PC2100 Corsair
Radeon VIVO SE 64MB
MX 300 (vortex 2)
12x DVD rom (BTC)
US robotics PCI modem
Crappy 6.4GB (to be upgraded next
I need recomendation for case (ie power supply voltages for 3.3v and 5v) and any recommendation or links for fan installation to improve air flow are also appreciated. Regards

More about : power configuration

September 10, 2001 12:41:57 AM

300watts would be sufficient for your system. If you plan on overclocking and/or adding second, larger hard drive, you might want to get a 350w or 400w.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
September 10, 2001 1:03:26 AM

300W...that's what I read at MaximuPC mag but when I posted a similar question in the Rage3d forum everybody told me that I should look for nothing less than 350W and then mentioned that I should be careful with the 3.3v and 5v ratings.
Related resources
September 10, 2001 1:16:02 AM

300W is plenty. I'm sure that you could even get away with 250W, but that may be pushing it a little, and won't be too reliable if you want to add another hd, burner, etc.
Go for a 400W if you're gonna add a 70W peltier or something, but for most people, 400W is overkill.

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.
September 10, 2001 1:36:58 AM

Ne How Ma Shaolin,
My take on your situation is: GO BIG! Get a well made 350+ watt power supply. You will never doubt it was enough, and it will normally run cooler. Don't skimp on a PS for a T-bird. Yes, you could "get away with" using a 250w PS, but why would you want to just throw money away on a 250w PS, when down the road you find you need more stable power with the new devices that you have added to your system? Don't take my word for it, I too am on the road to enlightenment, in a game that I know that I cannot win.
Peace Out.......tilepusher

I'm not 1/2 as smart as I think I am and less than 1% smart as I tell people I am.
September 10, 2001 5:18:21 AM

Quote:
<b>MX 300 (vortex 2)</b>

Don't use <font color=red><b>Diamond's</font color=red></b> driver for your MonsterSound MX300. There is compatility problem between it and VIA Southbridge.
Use its <A HREF="http://www.vortexofsound.com/drivers/drivers.htm" target="_new"><b>Aureal reference driver</A></b> instead.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
a c 159 à CPUs
September 10, 2001 10:18:02 AM

Whatever power supply you use, be sure the outer cover has openings on 2 or 3 sides for moving some of the hot air out of your system. More open slots means it will run cooler. A good power supply may actually lower your temps 3-5 degrees.
September 10, 2001 2:55:59 PM

I'd actually agree with Tile. Get a 365w Enermax, or something like that. Then you won't have to worry about getting another one in the near future.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2001 3:50:19 PM

What do you think of Leadman power supplies? is their 300 watts ATX2.03 a good investments?
September 10, 2001 11:28:28 PM

Ok I've decide to go with the 350W just to be ready for future upgrades...now I still need to know what to look for in the 3.3v and 5v raitings. Someone told me that it is very importnant to have enough power for the 3.3v and 5v so any specific quantities will be helpful.
Regards
!