Sign in with
Your question

Windows 32 bit, 4 ram and vid editing

Last response: in Windows 7
January 31, 2013 9:11:49 PM

ok im not very sure how to word this but here goes....

i have a toshiba satellite laptop l455d-s5976 with windows 7 home premium its only using 2.87 gb of 4 gb that i installed. it originally came with 2 gb. it uses a AMD sempron SI 42 2.10 ghz processor

i like to edit video and i thought getting more ram would help speed it up but i see that its not even using 3 gb of the 4...

is there anyway to make it use more like 3 or so? because i read that i would have to get a 64 bit OS to use all the 4 gb.

is there a way around this?
a b $ Windows 7
January 31, 2013 9:14:58 PM

Hi :) 

Look in the bios... and see how much its allocating for video ram,...then lower the amount...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 31, 2013 9:19:16 PM

Nope - you need to upgrade to windows 7 x64.

If you have the key though, I think you might be able to use it to install and activate the new version.
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2013 10:57:38 PM

DarkSable said:
Nope - you need to upgrade to windows 7 x64.

If you have the key though, I think you might be able to use it to install and activate the new version.

yeah it came from walmart and did not come with any disks it looks like id have to pay for it EWWWWWW
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 31, 2013 11:05:55 PM

Hello... your laptop video is sharing/using the installed memory.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 31, 2013 11:17:51 PM

crazy shadow said:
ok im not very sure how to word this but here goes....

i have a toshiba satellite laptop l455d-s5976 with windows 7 home premium its only using 2.87 gb of 4 gb that i installed. it originally came with 2 gb. it uses a AMD sempron SI 42 2.10 ghz processor

i like to edit video and i thought getting more ram would help speed it up but i see that its not even using 3 gb of the 4...

is there anyway to make it use more like 3 or so? because i read that i would have to get a 64 bit OS to use all the 4 gb.

is there a way around this?

You can also use GPU-Z, or HWInfo, to see where the majority of the system memory is being allocated. The only downside is your processor is also not built for doing alot of video editing but you should be able to do some.

If you can afford it, I would definitely go for Win7 x64 due to being able to use all 4Gb of the memory installed and not being limited.
m
l
January 31, 2013 11:25:17 PM

ok thanks guys so its the processor, i go on crucial.com alot, so an upgraded processor would help?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2013 12:33:00 AM

crazy shadow said:
ok thanks guys so its the processor, i go on crucial.com alot, so an upgraded processor would help?

You would have to determine:
a) that the new CPU is an improvement
b) that the new CPU is fully compatible
c) the cooling is sufficient (don't get a CPU that uses more power)
d) the price is worth it.

*I'm not sure I recommend upgrading your CPU and Windows. It's about $100 for Windows and probably that much at least for the CPU though I haven't checked.

Your almost half-way to a new laptop. If you could SELL your laptop and add that money to the cost of upgrading then the problem is worse.

**You can get a pretty good laptop with an intel 3000M series CPU and 6GB of RAM for as little as $400.
m
l
!