Broken Computer

G

My antique-like p2 233 has been giving me problems recently. It is shutting down (not reseting) automaticly after it has been on for roughly 45 minutes+. I'm suspecting the problem to be overheating, but i do not whether it is the powersupply or the cpu. I remeber at one point i removed the cpu from the mb, so it is possible that i did not attach it properly, can anybody please help diagnose my problem (i don't want to go out and buy to powersupply to find out it's my cpu!)

Abitols

Distinguished
May 26, 2001
It seems like a motherboard or a PSU problem, not a CPU one.
Anyway, reattach your CPU.
Run your computer out of the case, it may be a short-circuit somewhere.
Finally, try another PSU, it doesn't have to be a new one.

G

Alright, i'm gonna go with my gut instinct and purchase a new power supply, one thing to note is, after the computer shuts itself self off after about 45 minutes of being on, it will not turn on immidietly after, i have to wait a while before the power will work again, which also leads me to believe something is overheating, i touch the power supply after this and it seems to be unusually hot, it really seems like all clues point to the power supply overheating as being my problem.

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Errr, if it was the CPU over heating it wouldn't take that long. PS is generally hot anyway, but it might be the problem. I would recomend that if you buy a new ps, be careful with the packaging, you wouldn't want to deface it and find you didn't need it but can't return it. Before you spend a lot on components - look at a barebones system online. They tend to be real cheap fixes also.

BTW, how is the computer shutting down? Instant off? After doing something on the computer or will it do it after 45 min of just sitting there running?

<font color=blue><i>On Company time... :cool: