Connection problems with MN-500

I've had my MN-500 for 2 years now and it has been
working fine for me until a few days ago.

I have 3 computers at home that's connected wireless to
my MN-500 but I've noticed that connection to the MN-500
is on and off. The deterioration has gotten worse over
the few days where all of my computers can get connected
for about 15 to 30 minutes before all of them get
disconnected for a few hours. I've tried everything
that's been suggested in the manual as well as
Microsoft's website but the problem persists.

Here's what I'm working with:
- I've been using the most up-to-date firmware for my MN-
500 before the problem occurred.
- All computers (wire or wireless) are stationary and
hasn't been moved around the house.
- My MN-500 has stayed in the same location for these two
years and it hasn't moved at all.
- I have 2 wireless computers running WinXP SP2 and one
running Win98SE. Wire computer also runs WinXP SP2.
- The wire computer works with no problem.
- None of the computers (wire or wireless) had any
updates of any kind before my connection problems.

So why all of a sudden the connection problem? Any help
is much appreciated!!

Chris
2 answers Last reply
More about connection problems

    Well it is most likely either problems caused by a new source if that is
    possible or failing hardware.

    The connection from the WAN blocked is very normal if you are running
    1.09.* or higher for the firmware version. When I was running 1.09.* I
    would see only about 3 hours of that & almost nothing else. THis really
    annoyed me because it made the log useless to me. You might try
    contacting Microsoft & insist on them giving you the 1.08.003 firmware
    Unless you have a copy sitting around. I have seen times where
    downgrading the firmware will solve problems like this.

    The following link has more information about reading the log.

    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_concept_log_file.mspx

    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Yes, I do have 2.4GHz cordless phones at home but I've
    > had them for almost a year and they didn't gave me grief
    > before. The base station for my cordless phones hasn't
    > moved around at all. Neither did my base station. I
    > have my Sony Vaio sitting an inch away from the MN-500
    > and it's still not picking up on my network. Every once
    > in a while, I can pick up signals from my neighbor's
    > networks but never my own.
    >
    > I haven't checked the logs while the base station was
    > functioning but I notice a lot of "Connection attempt to
    > base station from WAN blocked". Is this normal?
    >
    > I also realize that my wired connection gets kicked off
    > the network every once in while but reconnects just as
    > quickly.
    >
    > Is it time to replace my base station?
    >
    > Thanks.

    assistance.

    time.

    I cleared this problem up by getting rid of my 2.4 Ghz
    cordless telephone. If you do not have one, a nearby
    neighbor could. Also try switching channels on you
    wireless network, try 6 or 11 I have heard. In any event I
    have heard some channels work better with household
    interferance.
    If you have DSL another option is to have the phone
    company in to check things out.

Routers Wireless Connection Computers Microsoft Networking