Athlon slot A

Rassler

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2001
i was wondering if there is such a thing as a thunderbird chip in the athlong slot A type of cpu.... and if so how can u tell if u have a thunderbird or a classic?

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey R,
Yes there is a T-bird Slot A cpu. For more info check out the AMD website(www.amd.com). Good luck finding a Slot A T-bird mobo........make sure to check if the mobo/bios can support the T-bird........most cannot!
Peace Out.........tile

I'm not 1/2 as smart as I think I am and less than 1% smart as I tell people I am.

Rassler

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2001
thanx for the reply but i was also wodering if you know how to tell on the the outside of the the cpu if its a tbird or not?
tbird = 256kb?
classic = 512kb?
is this correct? because i got that off the amd site but it doesn't sound right

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey R,
Sorry about directing you check out AMD.com. They totally redid the site, making it harder to find anything! I couldn't find the code for the T-bird Slot A's vs. the Classic's. I do know this: the T-birds have a on-chip 256 kb L2 cache running at full processor speed vs. Classic's which have a on-die 512 kb L2 cache running at 1/3 processor speed. So yes you are correct "tbird=256kb classic=512kb" . The T-bird is faster because of the L2 cache running at full processor speed, not the size(which is only half of the Classic's). If you have Sis Soft Sandra or 3D Marks 2000 check out the size of the L2 cache. Good Luck.
Peace Out............tile

I'm not 1/2 as smart as I think I am and less than 1% smart as I tell people I am.

Rassler

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2001
thanx for the info i went to the new amd site and a tech guy gave me the part numbers that told me i do have a classic athlon
thanx for your time

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey R,
Cool, I glad something worked out today. All this terrorism is bringing me down. All my problems,questions and answers don't mean JACK, when the world around you is going insane! How many more people are going to die because we can't play nice? How many people are going to die just to prove a point? Why can't we just all get along and try harder to understand each other? Where does it stop?
Flaming can be funny, but death,deathtreats and terrorism are never funny. Even though I have never meet you, Rassler, I hope that you and everyone on THG forums stay alive and keep a cool head and not attack(or be attacked by) another person based on the color of their skin or accent of their voice. Good Luck
Peace Out...........tile