shuojinz

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
I'm looking to purchase a new monitor and it will be used for gaming and web browsing. I was wondering whether to go with an 19" 1400x900 widescreen or a 1280x1024 fullscreen OR an 20" 1600x900 also I was thinking should I go with LED blacklight or just old CCFL.Also I'm willing to spend $100-$200. I also want to make sure that I won't lag much while playing games.

My Rig:
CPU:Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 cache
MOBO: Foxconn G41MXE
Memory: 8gb DDR3 G.Skill 1333
Graphic card: Geforce GT 240 (super overclocked edition) 512MB GDDR5

I've looked at some monitors on newegg and a handful caught my eye

19" ASUS 1440x900 Widescreen
19"ViewSonic 1440x900 Widescreen LED
19"Hanns·G 1280x1024 Fullscreen

20"LG 1600x900 Widescreen LED
20"Hanns.G 1600x900 Widescreen
20"ASUS 1600x900 Widescreen
20"Samsung 1600x900 Widescreen

Solution
I would go for the 20" LG or Samsung.

The LG has LED backlight but that doesn't mean anything. LED doesn't provide better color despite what the false advertising says. White LED actually has a lower color spectrum. It also doesn't give better brightness, in fact LEDs are dimmer. LEDs don't provide that much power savings either, LEDs actually consume more power than CCFLs but can direct light better and combined with overall less brightness, it has a little bit of power savings.

LED isn't bad really but I just wanted to bring it down a notch or two from the hyped up lies marketers have been feeding the public.

Overall the 20" LG has free shipping and $10 cheaper. Otherwise the Samsung has a little bit better color because it uses...

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I would go for the 20" LG or Samsung.

The LG has LED backlight but that doesn't mean anything. LED doesn't provide better color despite what the false advertising says. White LED actually has a lower color spectrum. It also doesn't give better brightness, in fact LEDs are dimmer. LEDs don't provide that much power savings either, LEDs actually consume more power than CCFLs but can direct light better and combined with overall less brightness, it has a little bit of power savings.

LED isn't bad really but I just wanted to bring it down a notch or two from the hyped up lies marketers have been feeding the public.

Overall the 20" LG has free shipping and $10 cheaper. Otherwise the Samsung has a little bit better color because it uses CCFLs but so little I personally don't think it is worth any money.

Apart from your choices are you interested in the Dell U2211H or U2311H. Its a bit out of your budget, by $50. It doesn't feature different backlighting but it features a different LCD switching panel. While all the monitors you chose were TN, the Dell uses eIPS. The difference in the funamental color displaying part of the screen actually gives it better colors rather than different backlights.

I don't shop in the US but I hear people can find it for much cheaper than list price. It might be too expensive for your budget so this is just a suggestion.

Solution

shuojinz

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010

Thank you the LG caught my eye since I first glimpse upon it and I had just order it on Newegg