Lean and effective security...

glasswave

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I generally do not like virus checkers. They seem to be resource hogs and slow down operations. I also get irritated by false positives (Avast) & continuous updating. I have ran my laptop w/o any protection for 2 years w/o incident. An occasional spybot portable scan only seems to find a couple of tracking cookies.

On my new build, LGA2011 system (6 core CPU, 32gb, 256gb HD), I am considering this approach. Using a light firewall to monitor all internet access (Windows 7 Firewall Control or Comodo) and then putting my browsers/ftp ect in a sandox.

It seems this way I should be protected as long as I don't get seduced by a Trojan.

I'll ghost my system to an external drive and reformat and restore if I find any trouble.

You know that is a ton of effort for something that can be easily prevented.

Free options:
Avast Anti-Virus: HERE
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware: HERE

These two seem to be the best free option with very little footprint. You can use the Windows Firewall coupled with it or Comodo either one.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
You know that is a ton of effort for something that can be easily prevented.

Free options:
Avast Anti-Virus: HERE
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware: HERE

These two seem to be the best free option with very little footprint. You can use the Windows Firewall coupled with it or Comodo either one.

Perfect response.

Also, most False Positives are from "cracks" from torrented games. :D