Hello, I am looking for mainly a desktop replacement laptop. I am going to be attending university next september, and the IOI at the end of July.
I would like it be able to play games such as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim when it comes out, (11/11/11 iirc), on medium to high settings. I would also like to play the likes of TES4 on high settings with the high resolution textures.
My current laptop is a Dell Inspirion 1525
1. What is your budget?
I would like to keep it below €1000, but I could stretch it to €1250. (and maybe €1500 if it was a really epic laptop, that futureproofed for 3+ years)
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
My current laptop uses a 15.6" widescreen, so nothing smaller than 15"
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Nothing worse than current Dell, which is maxed at 1280*800
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Doesnt have to be too portable, so desktop replacement.
5. How much battery life do you need?
I would mainly be going from power socket to power socket, so I don't envision needing too much.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, the likes of TES5, and Witcher2, with Medium to High settings.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Perhaps watching movies, I don't do much of this atm.
Programming, I do code a good bit, and as its a computer science course, anything on which that will encompass (basic 3d graphics, etc)
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Currently I have 100GB HDD, with two recovery dell partitions, so I have about 85-90GB workable space. I could easily fill this, so anything 350GB+
(ideally about 500GB+, so i can move a lot of my current games and stuff accross)
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
From Ireland, so newegg is out of the question. The two main sites I've been browsing lately (offer free shipping to me too), are http://komplett.ie and http://dabs.ie
Try to make it European based, unless free shipping.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Probably 2 years +
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
No need for Bluray, so DVD writer, but again, can get external peripheral for that.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Ive used a dell for the last while, nearly everywhere, and am fairly comfortable with them, but I understand that Asus, and other makes, are much better for what I want. I've been looking at Asus a lot lately especially like the Asus N53SV-SZ404V which apart from GT540M gfx card, seems quite a good laptop
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Thats about it. Would prefer Black or Blue colour wise, but unless pink or yellow, I wouldnt mind.
Also, I've never had any nice Leds on any desktop before, so I wouldnt mind something like that (thinking of Alienwares look)
I'm surprised you haven't gotten many responses yet. I was hoping people would have stepped in with their $0.02 by now. I was really hoping to get some advice for myself.
Currently I check http://www.techbargains.com/laptopcomputernotebookrevie... daily. I'm more looking to get the best possible deal than to stay at a particular price point. I just missed probably the best deal I've seen in quite some time.
It was an HP Pavillion dv7tque i7-2630M w/6GB RAM, 17.3" monitor, 1600x900 res., Radeon HD6770 w/1GB graphics, 640GB, 7200rpm hard drive, and even a blu-ray player with Lightscribe capability all shipped for under $1000US.
But, in general, I've been noticing that the deals straight from the manufacturers have been much better than the deals from resellers like newegg, and especially retail outlets.
I know asus has a pretty good line of G53's which should be 15.6" laptops.
Basically I would go for a second gen intel processor (the i5/i7 with 2k model series) dual/quad is up to you.
at least 4gb of ram
and something in the neighborhood of nVidia GTX 460M
HDD you already got a preference for.
Those should last at least 2-4 years.
Sorry I can't get you links to any deals, don't have time to browse those websites you linked. Basically go to manufacturer website, see what models are available, then go to the resellers you prefer and check if there's any good deals available.