[HELP]Missing operating system

staat

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Ok, so in the process of overclocking, I rebooted my computer and then got the "Missing operating system" error. I reset the CMOS and that didn't work, in the process of trying to boot from my Windows 7 disk/Linux distro's so I can see if one of my drives crashed BUT nothing seems to want to boot, so I am at a loss. Also, it seems in the BIOS, some of my SATA devices aren't being recognized. That may be because I reset the CMOS but I'm not positive. I can only see one of my SSD's in the BIOS and one of my optical drives.

Specs:
i5 2500k
MSI Z77-GD55
XFX DD 6870
12GB of G.Skill Ripjaws red/blue (2 x 4GB) & (2 x 2GB)
Corsair Force 3 60GB boot drive (Raid 5 with OCZA3 60GB)
OCZ Agility 3 60GB boot drive (RAID 5 with CF3 60GB)
WD 1TB Caviar Black storage
Corsair TX850M
Corsair H70

What did I done do and how do I done fix it

staat

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I can now find the rest of my SATA devices and I can now boot into a distro/Windows 7 repair disk. However, when I go into System Recovery, there is no Windows installation. If I go to install it again, it only shows 1 of 2 SSD's I have in my machine.

Open the system up and take out the CMOS battery (looks like a watch battery) and let the computer sit for about 15-30 seconds. When this time is up, put it back in and close up the case. Go into BIOS and see if your drives are detected again. Make double sure that each of the drive channels are set like they should be.

If they still don't respond after double-verifying all this, you may have fried the board itself in OCing it. It should be noted that you really need to take caution when overclocking if you aren't familiar with it because of the possibility of cooking components.

staat

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I did reset the CMOS and it wasn't successful. Nothing has changed with my drive channels since this happened.

I am familiar in OCing, I did a full fresh install a couple weeks ago and was just setting it back to speed the same way I have since I owned the chip which was nearly a year ago.

Could it be possible that one of the partitions failed or one of my drives crashed?

It may have freaked out during the course of the tweaking you just did. It makes me think this because a reset of the CMOS didn't help which typically indicates that the ROM chips on the board are gone.

staat

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I'm going to try completely wiping my disks and then trying again because I feel like my RAID settings may have gotten screwed up in the process somehow.

When I can see one of my drives, it shows there is no information on it.

Happy Lemming

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Maybe your SSD is not responding. This happened to me. I found a wake-up process on the manufacturer's site that went like this:

Disconnect data cable.
Power up drive for 20 minutes.
Power down.
Disconnect power cable for 30 seconds, then reconnect.
Repeat the last three steps ONCE.
Reconnect the data cable and boot.

This worked, but I do not know if the process is specific to Crucial or more widespread. Regardless, before concluding that your motherboard is fried, try another disc, a spare hard drive or something.