• Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • Desktops
  • Games
  • Icons
Last response: in Windows 7
February 1, 2013 2:10:50 AM

Hello,
I have windows 7 and I have my desktop nice and neat with my icons in fences. I turned my computer on earlier and my entire games fence was gone along with icons. When I went to send the games back to my desktop they are labeled with a 2 like the orginal is still there but it's not. Does anyone know what happened or how I fix this?

More about : fences desktop disappeared icons

February 1, 2013 2:46:17 AM

I would guess some sort of update scrambled them. But you can fix the two by double clicking on the text and just taking it out.

Not sure on the problem but at least you can edit and fix the name :/  sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Could it have been someone else on the computer? I know my AMD GPU updates always mess with the arrangement of my icons but never have they been deleted.
m
l
February 1, 2013 2:51:23 PM

Hi, thanks for answering. No, not possible that anyone else was on my computer. I live alone. I don't have my updates set to automatic, I check them first. A lot of that crap doesn't pertain to me. I tried removing all my fences to see what would happen....nothing. It's not a big problem, I just wondered if anyone might know where they went because obviously my system thinks they are still there since when I resend them they have the 2 on them.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2013 2:59:08 PM

Did all of your shortcut icons disappear?
Don't know if this is it or not.... BUT. Windows 7 has a system maintenance scanner that for w/e reason if you have more then 4 shortcuts on your desktop it takes those as "broken links" and will end up deleting them. (check your recycle bin, also since your gettin a (2) check C:/Users/profile name/ desktop. Are your icons still there?)

There is a registry fix, or you can just disable the maintenance scanner check out this link for more info.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978980

Another quick way to verify is checking your event logs and see if this scanner has ran recently. It's usually on a set time.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2013 2:59:13 PM

Could be that they are on your desktop, but outside of the viewing area at your current screen resolution. This happens sometimes with icons. If you change your screen resolution to a higher resolution, you should see more desktop space, and maybe the fence will show up. You can move it where it belongs(next to the other fences), and then change the resolution back to where it is now.
m
l
a c 666 $ Windows 7
February 2, 2013 2:27:56 AM

Annajo said:
Hello,
I have windows 7 and I have my desktop nice and neat with my icons in fences. I turned my computer on earlier and my entire games fence was gone along with icons. When I went to send the games back to my desktop they are labeled with a 2 like the orginal is still there but it's not. Does anyone know what happened or how I fix this?

Right-click on your desktop and sort the icons. When you say "fences" are you talking about "folders" or "directories"? A fence is something you keep around your yard or sell stolen stuff to, nothing on your desktop should be called a fence.
m
l
March 20, 2013 1:20:37 PM

This possible answer is a little late, but hopefully you'll see it.

If you go to the Fences configuration menu (in the start menu or control panel) you'll find a set of options for "Desktop Pages." Click on it and untick the "Enable" box. If you accidentally dragged yourself onto a different virtual desktop page, all of your fences should appear again on your main desktop.

I installed Fences on my bosses computer because she keeps lots and lots of files on her desktop, but she was accidentally activating the Desktop Pages feature of Fences by clicking and dragging on empty areas of the desktop. She would then move her icons around and, eventually, everything was on many different desktop pages. After disabling this feature, all of her fences were back on her main desktop and she couldn't "drag" the screen to it's different virtual desktops.

Hope this helps.
m
l
a c 255 $ Windows 7
March 21, 2013 9:26:37 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Annajo said:
Hello,

Right-click on your desktop and sort the icons. When you say "fences" are you talking about "folders" or "directories"? A fence is something you keep around your yard or sell stolen stuff to, nothing on your desktop should be called a fence.

I think he means the desktop management software - Fences. Very cool program.

http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/
m
l
a c 666 $ Windows 7
May 4, 2013 9:02:05 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
hang-the-9 said:
Annajo said:
Hello,

I think he means the desktop management software - Fences. Very cool program.

http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

Ah, a side effect of starting a post in the middle of the issue without explaining things fully. Never heard of that program before, but I also avoid stardock stuff as their skins cause some major issues with almost every system I tried it on. Such as removing every icon from Control Panel.
m
l
July 11, 2013 5:42:42 AM

building_man said:

If you go to the Fences configuration menu (in the start menu or control panel) you'll find a set of options for "Desktop Pages." Click on it and untick the "Enable" box. If you accidentally dragged yourself onto a different virtual desktop page, all of your fences should appear again on your main desktop.

I installed Fences on my bosses computer because she keeps lots and lots of files on her desktop, but she was accidentally activating the Desktop Pages feature of Fences by clicking and dragging on empty areas of the desktop. She would then move her icons around and, eventually, everything was on many different desktop pages. After disabling this feature, all of her fences were back on her main desktop and she couldn't "drag" the screen to it's different virtual desktops.

Hope this helps.

This helped me. I didn't realize there was a 'Pages' feature. I was gettting frustrated with this. As the user pointed out earlier, the files were getting renamed with a (2). This is because while Fences hides the shortcuts/files, they can still be found in the Windows Desktop folder.
m
l
October 9, 2013 6:37:10 AM

building_man said:

Hope this helps.

WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!! THANKS building_man
m
l