1.4 266fsb cooked

G

i have seen a ton of postings about the so called shut down befor burn-up point..well i can say that this is not true i myself when trying a better heatsink toated while in boot up.(just after posting)i got no beeps no nothing removed the hsu and the smell was a dead ringer it gone.. also i know tho not the smart thing to do but a guy who tryed to post without a heatsink and it cracked the cpu

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the testimonial, sorry about your CPU.

I have been preaching this for some time now, but the lemmings on the board think otherwise.

RMA it or make a keychain, its up to you.

G

what i find fuuny is if they are so sure why not give it a try? i mean why not right you can't hert it IT WILL SHUT DOWN....i got a rma anyway but coming from a pIII i don't see why build and sell a chip that people r going to install that if you don't do a text book install it is going to die. I mean ruuning with no hcu is a dum idear but lets say the 10 ton's of presure that hold the clip to the socket brakes due to what ever reason the hcu will fall off in the middle of the night and you got a ball of fire in your pc!

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I made mine into a keychain! Good instructions @ BunkerMentality (Don't try to drill it!).

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Lots of other problems associated with poor HSF design.

People crack/crush the core during HSF installation and destroy the CPU before they even apply power.

People Install shims to prevent the HSF from crushing the core and fail to notice a gap between core and the HSF causing the CPU to cook itseslf in a few seconds.

People crack/crush the core upgrading the HSF because their temps were too high.

All AMD processors are in harms way when it comes to damaged caused by overheating. they claim that the mothboard will protect them yet people like yourself are destroying them on a daily basis.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
what i find fuuny is if they are so sure why not give it a try?
Actually, one of our locals did just that, so we're quite sure. Check it out <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">here</A>.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I said it would lockup/shutdown in windows, not on bootup, if your heatsink is on good enough to allow you to boot into windows, it will not fry before you can stop it(once the lockup occurs) if you are a moron and put the hsf on wrong, it will fry before bootup.

My advice, go over what YOU DID WRONG, and remember not to screw up next time.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Excuse me for saying this, but you have to be a freaking idiot to not know how to put on a HSF properly. I mean come on it's not that hard. And Fugger those cores don't crush as easily as you would like everyone to believe.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
You obviously don't know what you are doing when it comes to the internals of computers, so you should just blame your own ignorance and move on. If you don't know how to properly install an HSF, then you should have let someone who does, do it for you.

Don't blame the people on this forum who have tried it, had it worked, and posted it. It is your own fault that you can't do it right.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I'm sort of in agreement there--sounds like operator error. Perhaps deliver the blow in a velvet glove next time? :wink:

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
its like many things in life.

if you dont know how to do something DONT.
get a professional to do it, or at least teach you.

In memory of the 90+ Auzzies missing in the WTC disaster. An attack that has changed the world.