Hibernate problem

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time to
respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark, but then
almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and restarts back to
desktop. I've ran numerous spyware, anti-virus,trojan horse,and BHO programs
and it hasn't any effect on the issue. Any suggestions?

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

"lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
> When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time to
> respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark, but then
> almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and restarts back to
> desktop. I've ran numerous spyware, anti-virus,trojan horse,and BHO
> programs and it hasn't any effect on the issue. Any suggestions?

Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever becomes
corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the file being
deleted.

Unknown wrote:
> "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
>> When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time
>> to respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark, but
>> then almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and restarts
>> back to desktop. I've ran numerous spyware, anti-virus,trojan
>> horse,and BHO programs and it hasn't any effect on the issue. Any
>> suggestions?
>
> Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever becomes
> corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the file being
> deleted.

Why would it become corupted? It never happened to me yet.
And there's an F8 option to skip restoring and start normal boot

David

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

That sounds like an alarmist response to a feature that generally works
well. I find the hibernation feature one of the handiest improvements
to the OS over Win98. I've got my PC on much of the day and night, but
now when I leave the office for a bit I put it into hibernation knowing
it will resume in about 15 seconds when I return, instead of waiting for
the normal boot up process which seems like an eternity, no matter what
PC I'm on. YMMV

David

Unknown wrote:

> "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
>
>>When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time to
>>respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark, but then
>>almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and restarts back to
>>desktop. I've ran numerous spyware, anti-virus,trojan horse,and BHO
>>programs and it hasn't any effect on the issue. Any suggestions?
>>

> Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever becomes
> corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the file being
> deleted.

Eugene

David wrote:

> That sounds like an alarmist response to a feature that generally works
> well. I find the hibernation feature one of the handiest improvements
> to the OS over Win98. I've got my PC on much of the day and night, but
> now when I leave the office for a bit I put it into hibernation knowing
> it will resume in about 15 seconds when I return, instead of waiting for
> the normal boot up process which seems like an eternity, no matter what
> PC I'm on. YMMV
>
> David
>
> Unknown wrote:
>
>> "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time to
>>>respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark, but then
>>>almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and restarts back to
>>>desktop. I've ran numerous spyware, anti-virus,trojan horse,and BHO
>>>programs and it hasn't any effect on the issue. Any suggestions?
>>>

>> Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever becomes
>> corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the file being
>> deleted.

If the hibernation file becomes corrupted the os should prompt to boot
normally.
I use suspend more often though as my little laptop can stay suspended for a
couple days before it would run the battery too low. I've never had it off
for any longer than that so hibernation isn't really useful for me.

Ted Zieglar wrote:
> I've been following this thread with interest because I honestly don't
> understand why someone would hibernate a computer. If you had a
> number of windows open and arranged in a certain manner I can see
> that you might want to preserve that arrangement when you started
> working again. Otherwise, why not go to standby, which gets you back
> to the desktop even faster than hibernation?

To answer both (Tom & Ted) - as i wrote in other thread: because standby
doesn't work right. I have Logitech Internet navigator keyboard and if i go
into standby and wake up, sometimes special keys on the keyboard doesn't
work anymore, and same happens with extra keys on my Logitech Trackball -
only basic two keys work. And, if i remember correct, when go into standby,
fans keep running, and also motherboard is under full power supply, which i
snot good to leave over night. While hibernation shuts off PC completely.
ANd here's the difference between two. Standby shuts down only CPU, VGA card
and i think that's about it. All other stuff remains on, and that's why
after wake up all remains intact (well, not all in my case) - because RAM
and other stuff is always on power.

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It seems then, that your reason for choosing hibernation over standby is
that your Logitech hardware does not come out of standby correctly. Logitech
is your problem, not standby. Logitech should be able to make their hardware
work with standby.

In my system (Dim 4500) the fans turn off in standby, but I can't say if
this is true for all computers.

In standby (S3) the system has only enough power to respond to a 'wake up
call' - truely a small amount which will not damage your system or run up
your power bill.
--
Ted Zieglar

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> Ted Zieglar wrote:
> > I've been following this thread with interest because I honestly don't
> > understand why someone would hibernate a computer. If you had a
> > number of windows open and arranged in a certain manner I can see
> > that you might want to preserve that arrangement when you started
> > working again. Otherwise, why not go to standby, which gets you back
> > to the desktop even faster than hibernation?
> >
> To answer both (Tom & Ted) - as i wrote in other thread: because standby
> doesn't work right. I have Logitech Internet navigator keyboard and if i
go
> into standby and wake up, sometimes special keys on the keyboard doesn't
> work anymore, and same happens with extra keys on my Logitech Trackball -
> only basic two keys work. And, if i remember correct, when go into
standby,
> fans keep running, and also motherboard is under full power supply, which
> snot good to leave over night. While hibernation shuts off PC completely.
> ANd here's the difference between two. Standby shuts down only CPU, VGA
card
> and i think that's about it. All other stuff remains on, and that's why
> after wake up all remains intact (well, not all in my case) - because RAM
> and other stuff is always on power.

Relic

Ted Zieglar wrote:
> It seems then, that your reason for choosing hibernation over standby
> is that your Logitech hardware does not come out of standby
> correctly. Logitech is your problem, not standby. Logitech should be
> able to make their hardware work with standby.

It's a common problem with /ANY/ other vendor's stuff too. Reviving from
Standby doesn't work reliably on a lot of PCs. I don't use it either even
though it does work on my current machine... I prefer Hibernate.

SleeperMan wrote:

> Unknown wrote:
> > "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
> >> When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time
> >> to respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark, but
> >> then almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and restarts
> >> back to desktop. I've ran numerous spyware, anti-virus,trojan
> >> horse,and BHO programs and it hasn't any effect on the issue. Any
> >> suggestions?
> >
> > Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever becomes
> > corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the file being
> > deleted.
>
> Why would it become corupted? It never happened to me yet.
> And there's an F8 option to skip restoring and start normal boot

"Why would it become corupted?"

You're kidding, right?

Notan

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in

> I've been following this thread with interest because I honestly
> don't understand why someone would hibernate a computer. If you
> had a number of windows open and arranged in a certain manner I
> can see that you might want to preserve that arrangement when
> you started working again. Otherwise, why not go to standby,
> which gets you back to the desktop even faster than hibernation?

Standby mode consumes battery power, albeit much less than normal
running, but that means the battery will eventually go flat.
Hibernation mode consumes no battery power because the PC is fully
powered down whilst in that state.

> I'm really careful about protecting my security and privacy, but
> there's something about having open windows saved on my hard
> disk that gives me the creeps. Maybe I'm just being ridiculous?

Correct.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

> Unknown wrote:
>> "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
>>> When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time
>>> to respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark, but
>>> then almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and restarts
>>> back to desktop. I've ran numerous spyware, anti-virus,trojan
>>> horse,and BHO programs and it hasn't any effect on the issue. Any
>>> suggestions?
>>
>> Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever becomes
>> corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the file being
>> deleted.
>
> Why would it become corupted? It never happened to me yet.

Yep and you havent died yet either so why would that ever happen to you?

> And there's an F8 option to skip restoring and start normal boot

Doesn't help with a hiberfile corruption.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> I've been following this thread with interest because I honestly don't
> understand why someone would hibernate a computer. If you had a number of
> windows open and arranged in a certain manner I can see that you might
> want
> to preserve that arrangement when you started working again. Otherwise,
> why
> not go to standby, which gets you back to the desktop even faster than
> hibernation?

As to the windows coming back when you reboot normally, that option is
available to turn on in XP but the way in which they come back over the
screen wouldnt be the same.

> I'm really careful about protecting my security and privacy, but there's
> something about having open windows saved on my hard disk that gives me
> the
> creeps. Maybe I'm just being ridiculous?

Each to their own. I sometimes like to leave a particular window open in
order to remind me to do something the next day when I turn the computer on
and up it pops.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

"David" <David@invalid.com> wrote in message
> That sounds like an alarmist response to a feature that generally works

Sure - and having an AV program is an alarmist response to an OS that
generally works well. You have an AV program just in case. You shouldnt use
hibernation for the same reason. Hiberfil probs happen more often than you
would think.

> well. I find the hibernation feature one of the handiest improvements to
> the OS over Win98. I've got my PC on much of the day and night, but

I would like to know how much you pay for electricity. I pay 12 cents per
kilowatt hour. 3 of my computers are 300 watt PSUs so I am paying almost 12
cents an hour to run them. Doesnt sound much right? Work it out over a
month. I ended up setting my computers to turn off at midnight, on at 6:30
when I get up and off again at 9AM by which time I am at work. I often do
forget to turn them off is why.

> now when I leave the office for a bit I put it into hibernation knowing it
> will resume in about 15 seconds when I return, instead of waiting for the
> normal boot up process which seems like an eternity, no matter what PC I'm
> on. YMMV

15 seconds is OK for you and about 25 to 30 seconds isnt? XPSP2 on a 512meg
DDR 1.7ghz and that is approximately all it takes to boot here. If yours is
taking longer from a cold start, you probably should be looking at why.

David

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It's not just the time factor; it's also the fact that applications
resume right where they were when the pc goes into hib. mode. very
convenient. If you don't find that useful, so be it. Let's not try to
convince each other to change our ways. I respect that you prefer a
cold start; I prefer to use the hib. feature.

David

Unknown wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Unknown wrote:
>>> "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever
>>> becomes corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the
>>> file being deleted.
>>
>> Why would it become corupted? It never happened to me yet.
>
> Yep and you havent died yet either so why would that ever happen to
> you?
>> And there's an F8 option to skip restoring and start normal boot
>>

> Doesn't help with a hiberfile corruption.

Ops...what then?

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

> Unknown wrote:
>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

>>> Why would it become corupted? It never happened to me yet.
>>
>> Yep and you havent died yet either so why would that ever happen to
>> you?
>>> And there's an F8 option to skip restoring and start normal boot
>>>

>> Doesn't help with a hiberfile corruption.
>
> Ops...what then?

As I said - you have to boot off the XP CD and then go to the first restore
prompt and from there delete the hiberfile.

After that you can reboot normally with possible loss of data.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

> It's not just the time factor; it's also the fact that applications resume
> right where they were when the pc goes into hib. mode. very convenient.

Right up until the moment that you go to make the computer come back to life
and find the hiberfile is corrupted. At that point it is very INconvenient
AND you can lose data.

> If you don't find that useful, so be it. Let's not try to convince each
> other to change our ways. I respect that you prefer a cold start; I
> prefer to use the hib. feature.

I wont try to make you change your ways. Didn't do it before, wont do it
now. However, recommending using hibernation is just bad practice.

Unknown wrote:

> "David" <David@invalid.com> wrote in message
>
>>It's not just the time factor; it's also the fact that applications resume
>>right where they were when the pc goes into hib. mode. very convenient.
>

> Right up until the moment that you go to make the computer come back to life
> and find the hiberfile is corrupted. At that point it is very INconvenient
> AND you can lose data.
>

>>If you don't find that useful, so be it. Let's not try to convince each
>>other to change our ways. I respect that you prefer a cold start; I
>>prefer to use the hib. feature.
>>

> I wont try to make you change your ways. Didn't do it before, wont do it
> now. However, recommending using hibernation is just bad practice.

I disagree. If hibernation works as it's supposed to, there's no reason
whatsoever not to use it in favor of a shutdown/startup sequence.

David

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Your concerns are duly noted. If my pc blows up some day, I'll remember
your warnings. :)

David

snip

Unknown wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Unknown wrote:
>>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

>>> Yep and you havent died yet either so why would that ever happen to
>>> you?
>>>>

>>> Doesn't help with a hiberfile corruption.
>>
>> Ops...what then?
>>

> As I said - you have to boot off the XP CD and then go to the first
> restore prompt and from there delete the hiberfile.
>
> After that you can reboot normally with possible loss of data.

Aha...thanks for the tip. You never know...

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

"DanielEKFA" <sorry.no.em@il.i.get.vira.and.spam> wrote in message
> Unknown wrote:
>
>> "David" <David@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>It's not just the time factor; it's also the fact that applications
>>>resume right where they were when the pc goes into hib. mode. very
>>>convenient.
>>

>> Right up until the moment that you go to make the computer come back to
>> life and find the hiberfile is corrupted. At that point it is very
>> INconvenient AND you can lose data.
>>

>>>If you don't find that useful, so be it. Let's not try to convince each
>>>other to change our ways. I respect that you prefer a cold start; I
>>>prefer to use the hib. feature.
>>>

>> I wont try to make you change your ways. Didn't do it before, wont do it
>> now. However, recommending using hibernation is just bad practice.
>>

> I disagree. If hibernation works as it's supposed to, there's no reason

Yep - and there's the cake taker! "If hibernation works as it's supposed
to....". You appear to miss the whole crux - when it doesnt, you cant boot
the machine normally, you cant get to a restore prompt normally, you cant
get anywhere normally and you can lose data.

> whatsoever not to use it in favor of a shutdown/startup sequence.

If Windows worked as it is supposed to, we wouldn't need a firewall, too.

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"If Windows worked as it is supposed to, we wouldn't need a firewall, too."

Shows how much you know. A firewall is protection against threats coming
from a network, not Windows.

Ted Zieglar

"Unknown" <thisandthat@hereandthere.oz> wrote in message

> "DanielEKFA" <sorry.no.em@il.i.get.vira.and.spam> wrote in message
>> Unknown wrote:
>>
>>> "David" <David@invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> Right up until the moment that you go to make the computer come back to
>>> life and find the hiberfile is corrupted. At that point it is very
>>> INconvenient AND you can lose data.

>>> I wont try to make you change your ways. Didn't do it before, wont do it
>>> now. However, recommending using hibernation is just bad practice.
>>>

>> I disagree. If hibernation works as it's supposed to, there's no reason
>
> Yep - and there's the cake taker! "If hibernation works as it's supposed
> to....". You appear to miss the whole crux - when it doesnt, you cant boot
> the machine normally, you cant get to a restore prompt normally, you cant
> get anywhere normally and you can lose data.
>
>> whatsoever not to use it in favor of a shutdown/startup sequence.
>
> If Windows worked as it is supposed to, we wouldn't need a firewall, too.

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yeah, that one made me laugh too.
> "If Windows worked as it is supposed to, we wouldn't need a firewall,
> too."
>
> Shows how much you know. A firewall is protection against threats coming
> from a network, not Windows.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Unknown" <thisandthat@hereandthere.oz> wrote in message
>>
>> "DanielEKFA" <sorry.no.em@il.i.get.vira.and.spam> wrote in message

>>> I disagree. If hibernation works as it's supposed to, there's no reason
>>
>> Yep - and there's the cake taker! "If hibernation works as it's supposed
>> to....". You appear to miss the whole crux - when it doesnt, you cant
>> boot the machine normally, you cant get to a restore prompt normally, you
>> cant get anywhere normally and you can lose data.
>>
>>> whatsoever not to use it in favor of a shutdown/startup sequence.
>>
>> If Windows worked as it is supposed to, we wouldn't need a firewall, too.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hibernation doesn't cause it to blow up. Jihad does!

> Your concerns are duly noted. If my pc blows up some day, I'll remember
> your warnings. :)
>
> David
>
> Unknown wrote:
> snip
>>

>>>If you don't find that useful, so be it. Let's not try to convince each
>>>other to change our ways. I respect that you prefer a cold start; I
>>>prefer to use the hib. feature.
>>>

>> I wont try to make you change your ways. Didn't do it before, wont do it
>> now. However, recommending using hibernation is just bad practice.

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Anyone that would hibernate without saving the work in their applications
first is just naive.

Save your work.
Hibernate.

If it won't resume, who cares?

Tom
> No need to get all upset. Like Hank said, any file on a hard disk can get
> corrupted. It happens rarely, thankfully, but it does happen. And most of
> the time it's not anyone's fault - it just happens. Computers are like
> that. Fortunately, most of the time this can be easily fixed (reinstall
> the application, extract a fresh copy, etc.)
>
> Ted Zieglar

TRENDING THREADS