Hibernate problem

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time to
respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark, but then
almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and restarts back to
desktop. I've ran numerous spyware, anti-virus,trojan horse,and BHO programs
and it hasn't any effect on the issue. Any suggestions?
31 answers Last reply
More about hibernate problem
  1. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
    news:41459460$0$10701$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
    > When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time to
    > respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark, but then
    > almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and restarts back to
    > desktop. I've ran numerous spyware, anti-virus,trojan horse,and BHO
    > programs and it hasn't any effect on the issue. Any suggestions?
    >

    Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever becomes
    corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the file being
    deleted.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Unknown wrote:
    > "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
    > news:41459460$0$10701$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
    >> When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time
    >> to respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark, but
    >> then almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and restarts
    >> back to desktop. I've ran numerous spyware, anti-virus,trojan
    >> horse,and BHO programs and it hasn't any effect on the issue. Any
    >> suggestions?
    >
    > Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever becomes
    > corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the file being
    > deleted.

    Why would it become corupted? It never happened to me yet.
    And there's an F8 option to skip restoring and start normal boot
  3. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    That sounds like an alarmist response to a feature that generally works
    well. I find the hibernation feature one of the handiest improvements
    to the OS over Win98. I've got my PC on much of the day and night, but
    now when I leave the office for a bit I put it into hibernation knowing
    it will resume in about 15 seconds when I return, instead of waiting for
    the normal boot up process which seems like an eternity, no matter what
    PC I'm on. YMMV

    David

    Unknown wrote:

    > "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
    > news:41459460$0$10701$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
    >
    >>When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time to
    >>respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark, but then
    >>almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and restarts back to
    >>desktop. I've ran numerous spyware, anti-virus,trojan horse,and BHO
    >>programs and it hasn't any effect on the issue. Any suggestions?
    >>
    >
    >
    > Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever becomes
    > corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the file being
    > deleted.
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    David wrote:

    > That sounds like an alarmist response to a feature that generally works
    > well. I find the hibernation feature one of the handiest improvements
    > to the OS over Win98. I've got my PC on much of the day and night, but
    > now when I leave the office for a bit I put it into hibernation knowing
    > it will resume in about 15 seconds when I return, instead of waiting for
    > the normal boot up process which seems like an eternity, no matter what
    > PC I'm on. YMMV
    >
    > David
    >
    > Unknown wrote:
    >
    >> "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
    >> news:41459460$0$10701$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
    >>
    >>>When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time to
    >>>respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark, but then
    >>>almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and restarts back to
    >>>desktop. I've ran numerous spyware, anti-virus,trojan horse,and BHO
    >>>programs and it hasn't any effect on the issue. Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>
    >>
    >> Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever becomes
    >> corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the file being
    >> deleted.
    >>
    >>
    If the hibernation file becomes corrupted the os should prompt to boot
    normally.
    I use suspend more often though as my little laptop can stay suspended for a
    couple days before it would run the battery too low. I've never had it off
    for any longer than that so hibernation isn't really useful for me.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > I've been following this thread with interest because I honestly don't
    > understand why someone would hibernate a computer. If you had a
    > number of windows open and arranged in a certain manner I can see
    > that you might want to preserve that arrangement when you started
    > working again. Otherwise, why not go to standby, which gets you back
    > to the desktop even faster than hibernation?
    >
    To answer both (Tom & Ted) - as i wrote in other thread: because standby
    doesn't work right. I have Logitech Internet navigator keyboard and if i go
    into standby and wake up, sometimes special keys on the keyboard doesn't
    work anymore, and same happens with extra keys on my Logitech Trackball -
    only basic two keys work. And, if i remember correct, when go into standby,
    fans keep running, and also motherboard is under full power supply, which i
    snot good to leave over night. While hibernation shuts off PC completely.
    ANd here's the difference between two. Standby shuts down only CPU, VGA card
    and i think that's about it. All other stuff remains on, and that's why
    after wake up all remains intact (well, not all in my case) - because RAM
    and other stuff is always on power.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    It seems then, that your reason for choosing hibernation over standby is
    that your Logitech hardware does not come out of standby correctly. Logitech
    is your problem, not standby. Logitech should be able to make their hardware
    work with standby.

    In my system (Dim 4500) the fans turn off in standby, but I can't say if
    this is true for all computers.

    In standby (S3) the system has only enough power to respond to a 'wake up
    call' - truely a small amount which will not damage your system or run up
    your power bill.
    --
    Ted Zieglar


    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    news:Ro%1d.2846$F6.647110@news.siol.net...
    > Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > > I've been following this thread with interest because I honestly don't
    > > understand why someone would hibernate a computer. If you had a
    > > number of windows open and arranged in a certain manner I can see
    > > that you might want to preserve that arrangement when you started
    > > working again. Otherwise, why not go to standby, which gets you back
    > > to the desktop even faster than hibernation?
    > >
    > To answer both (Tom & Ted) - as i wrote in other thread: because standby
    > doesn't work right. I have Logitech Internet navigator keyboard and if i
    go
    > into standby and wake up, sometimes special keys on the keyboard doesn't
    > work anymore, and same happens with extra keys on my Logitech Trackball -
    > only basic two keys work. And, if i remember correct, when go into
    standby,
    > fans keep running, and also motherboard is under full power supply, which
    i
    > snot good to leave over night. While hibernation shuts off PC completely.
    > ANd here's the difference between two. Standby shuts down only CPU, VGA
    card
    > and i think that's about it. All other stuff remains on, and that's why
    > after wake up all remains intact (well, not all in my case) - because RAM
    > and other stuff is always on power.
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > It seems then, that your reason for choosing hibernation over standby
    > is that your Logitech hardware does not come out of standby
    > correctly. Logitech is your problem, not standby. Logitech should be
    > able to make their hardware work with standby.


    It's a common problem with /ANY/ other vendor's stuff too. Reviving from
    Standby doesn't work reliably on a lot of PCs. I don't use it either even
    though it does work on my current machine... I prefer Hibernate.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    SleeperMan wrote:
    >
    > Unknown wrote:
    > > "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
    > > news:41459460$0$10701$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
    > >> When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time
    > >> to respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark, but
    > >> then almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and restarts
    > >> back to desktop. I've ran numerous spyware, anti-virus,trojan
    > >> horse,and BHO programs and it hasn't any effect on the issue. Any
    > >> suggestions?
    > >
    > > Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever becomes
    > > corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the file being
    > > deleted.
    >
    > Why would it become corupted? It never happened to me yet.
    > And there's an F8 option to skip restoring and start normal boot

    "Why would it become corupted?"

    You're kidding, right?

    Notan
  9. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in
    news:1095265768.Jn6qTra0WwS1aiM2bWfvOw@teranews:

    > I've been following this thread with interest because I honestly
    > don't understand why someone would hibernate a computer. If you
    > had a number of windows open and arranged in a certain manner I
    > can see that you might want to preserve that arrangement when
    > you started working again. Otherwise, why not go to standby,
    > which gets you back to the desktop even faster than hibernation?

    Standby mode consumes battery power, albeit much less than normal
    running, but that means the battery will eventually go flat.
    Hibernation mode consumes no battery power because the PC is fully
    powered down whilst in that state.

    >
    > I'm really careful about protecting my security and privacy, but
    > there's something about having open windows saved on my hard
    > disk that gives me the creeps. Maybe I'm just being ridiculous?

    Correct.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    news:cEu1d.2750$F6.621887@news.siol.net...
    > Unknown wrote:
    >> "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
    >> news:41459460$0$10701$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
    >>> When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time
    >>> to respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark, but
    >>> then almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and restarts
    >>> back to desktop. I've ran numerous spyware, anti-virus,trojan
    >>> horse,and BHO programs and it hasn't any effect on the issue. Any
    >>> suggestions?
    >>
    >> Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever becomes
    >> corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the file being
    >> deleted.
    >
    > Why would it become corupted? It never happened to me yet.

    Yep and you havent died yet either so why would that ever happen to you?

    > And there's an F8 option to skip restoring and start normal boot
    >

    Doesn't help with a hiberfile corruption.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1095265768.Jn6qTra0WwS1aiM2bWfvOw@teranews...
    > I've been following this thread with interest because I honestly don't
    > understand why someone would hibernate a computer. If you had a number of
    > windows open and arranged in a certain manner I can see that you might
    > want
    > to preserve that arrangement when you started working again. Otherwise,
    > why
    > not go to standby, which gets you back to the desktop even faster than
    > hibernation?
    >

    As to the windows coming back when you reboot normally, that option is
    available to turn on in XP but the way in which they come back over the
    screen wouldnt be the same.

    > I'm really careful about protecting my security and privacy, but there's
    > something about having open windows saved on my hard disk that gives me
    > the
    > creeps. Maybe I'm just being ridiculous?

    Each to their own. I sometimes like to leave a particular window open in
    order to remind me to do something the next day when I turn the computer on
    and up it pops.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "David" <David@invalid.com> wrote in message
    news:G9KdnZd-FeSBPNrcRVn-tg@comcast.com...
    > That sounds like an alarmist response to a feature that generally works

    Sure - and having an AV program is an alarmist response to an OS that
    generally works well. You have an AV program just in case. You shouldnt use
    hibernation for the same reason. Hiberfil probs happen more often than you
    would think.

    > well. I find the hibernation feature one of the handiest improvements to
    > the OS over Win98. I've got my PC on much of the day and night, but

    I would like to know how much you pay for electricity. I pay 12 cents per
    kilowatt hour. 3 of my computers are 300 watt PSUs so I am paying almost 12
    cents an hour to run them. Doesnt sound much right? Work it out over a
    month. I ended up setting my computers to turn off at midnight, on at 6:30
    when I get up and off again at 9AM by which time I am at work. I often do
    forget to turn them off is why.

    > now when I leave the office for a bit I put it into hibernation knowing it
    > will resume in about 15 seconds when I return, instead of waiting for the
    > normal boot up process which seems like an eternity, no matter what PC I'm
    > on. YMMV

    15 seconds is OK for you and about 25 to 30 seconds isnt? XPSP2 on a 512meg
    DDR 1.7ghz and that is approximately all it takes to boot here. If yours is
    taking longer from a cold start, you probably should be looking at why.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    It's not just the time factor; it's also the fact that applications
    resume right where they were when the pc goes into hib. mode. very
    convenient. If you don't find that useful, so be it. Let's not try to
    convince each other to change our ways. I respect that you prefer a
    cold start; I prefer to use the hib. feature.

    David

    Unknown wrote:
    > "David" <David@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > news:G9KdnZd-FeSBPNrcRVn-tg@comcast.com...
    >
    >>That sounds like an alarmist response to a feature that generally works
    >
    >
    > Sure - and having an AV program is an alarmist response to an OS that
    > generally works well. You have an AV program just in case. You shouldnt use
    > hibernation for the same reason. Hiberfil probs happen more often than you
    > would think.
    >
    >
    >>well. I find the hibernation feature one of the handiest improvements to
    >>the OS over Win98. I've got my PC on much of the day and night, but
    >
    >
    > I would like to know how much you pay for electricity. I pay 12 cents per
    > kilowatt hour. 3 of my computers are 300 watt PSUs so I am paying almost 12
    > cents an hour to run them. Doesnt sound much right? Work it out over a
    > month. I ended up setting my computers to turn off at midnight, on at 6:30
    > when I get up and off again at 9AM by which time I am at work. I often do
    > forget to turn them off is why.
    >
    >
    >>now when I leave the office for a bit I put it into hibernation knowing it
    >>will resume in about 15 seconds when I return, instead of waiting for the
    >>normal boot up process which seems like an eternity, no matter what PC I'm
    >>on. YMMV
    >
    >
    > 15 seconds is OK for you and about 25 to 30 seconds isnt? XPSP2 on a 512meg
    > DDR 1.7ghz and that is approximately all it takes to boot here. If yours is
    > taking longer from a cold start, you probably should be looking at why.
    >
    >
    >
  14. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Unknown wrote:
    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    > news:cEu1d.2750$F6.621887@news.siol.net...
    >> Unknown wrote:
    >>> "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
    >>> news:41459460$0$10701$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
    >>>> When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time
    >>>> to respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark,
    >>>> but then almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and
    >>>> restarts back to desktop. I've ran numerous spyware,
    >>>> anti-virus,trojan horse,and BHO programs and it hasn't any effect
    >>>> on the issue. Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever
    >>> becomes corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the
    >>> file being deleted.
    >>
    >> Why would it become corupted? It never happened to me yet.
    >
    > Yep and you havent died yet either so why would that ever happen to
    > you?
    >> And there's an F8 option to skip restoring and start normal boot
    >>
    >
    > Doesn't help with a hiberfile corruption.

    Ops...what then?
  15. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    news:Bbh2d.2892$F6.663971@news.siol.net...
    > Unknown wrote:
    >> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >> news:cEu1d.2750$F6.621887@news.siol.net...
    >>> Unknown wrote:
    >>>> "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
    >>>> news:41459460$0$10701$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
    >>>>> When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long time
    >>>>> to respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes dark,
    >>>>> but then almost immediately goes into "resuming windows" and
    >>>>> restarts back to desktop. I've ran numerous spyware,
    >>>>> anti-virus,trojan horse,and BHO programs and it hasn't any effect
    >>>>> on the issue. Any suggestions?
    >>>>
    >>>> Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever
    >>>> becomes corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the
    >>>> file being deleted.
    >>>
    >>> Why would it become corupted? It never happened to me yet.
    >>
    >> Yep and you havent died yet either so why would that ever happen to
    >> you?
    >>> And there's an F8 option to skip restoring and start normal boot
    >>>
    >>
    >> Doesn't help with a hiberfile corruption.
    >
    > Ops...what then?
    >

    As I said - you have to boot off the XP CD and then go to the first restore
    prompt and from there delete the hiberfile.

    After that you can reboot normally with possible loss of data.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "David" <David@invalid.com> wrote in message
    news:WqadnVPl_oD7JdTcRVn-oA@comcast.com...
    > It's not just the time factor; it's also the fact that applications resume
    > right where they were when the pc goes into hib. mode. very convenient.

    Right up until the moment that you go to make the computer come back to life
    and find the hiberfile is corrupted. At that point it is very INconvenient
    AND you can lose data.

    > If you don't find that useful, so be it. Let's not try to convince each
    > other to change our ways. I respect that you prefer a cold start; I
    > prefer to use the hib. feature.
    >

    I wont try to make you change your ways. Didn't do it before, wont do it
    now. However, recommending using hibernation is just bad practice.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Unknown wrote:

    > "David" <David@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > news:WqadnVPl_oD7JdTcRVn-oA@comcast.com...
    >
    >>It's not just the time factor; it's also the fact that applications resume
    >>right where they were when the pc goes into hib. mode. very convenient.
    >
    >
    > Right up until the moment that you go to make the computer come back to life
    > and find the hiberfile is corrupted. At that point it is very INconvenient
    > AND you can lose data.
    >
    >
    >>If you don't find that useful, so be it. Let's not try to convince each
    >>other to change our ways. I respect that you prefer a cold start; I
    >>prefer to use the hib. feature.
    >>
    >
    >
    > I wont try to make you change your ways. Didn't do it before, wont do it
    > now. However, recommending using hibernation is just bad practice.
    >
    >

    I disagree. If hibernation works as it's supposed to, there's no reason
    whatsoever not to use it in favor of a shutdown/startup sequence.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Your concerns are duly noted. If my pc blows up some day, I'll remember
    your warnings. :)

    David

    Unknown wrote:
    snip
    >
    >
    >>If you don't find that useful, so be it. Let's not try to convince each
    >>other to change our ways. I respect that you prefer a cold start; I
    >>prefer to use the hib. feature.
    >>
    >
    >
    > I wont try to make you change your ways. Didn't do it before, wont do it
    > now. However, recommending using hibernation is just bad practice.
    >
    >
  19. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Unknown wrote:
    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    > news:Bbh2d.2892$F6.663971@news.siol.net...
    >> Unknown wrote:
    >>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >>> news:cEu1d.2750$F6.621887@news.siol.net...
    >>>> Unknown wrote:
    >>>>> "lib" <libaala@alamedanot.net> wrote in message
    >>>>> news:41459460$0$10701$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
    >>>>>> When I put my computer into the hibernate mode it takes a long
    >>>>>> time to respond, it then goes thru the process, the screen goes
    >>>>>> dark, but then almost immediately goes into "resuming windows"
    >>>>>> and restarts back to desktop. I've ran numerous spyware,
    >>>>>> anti-virus,trojan horse,and BHO programs and it hasn't any effect
    >>>>>> on the issue. Any suggestions?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Suggestion - never use hibernate. If the file it creates ever
    >>>>> becomes corrupted, it will stop your computer booting without the
    >>>>> file being deleted.
    >>>>
    >>>> Why would it become corupted? It never happened to me yet.
    >>>
    >>> Yep and you havent died yet either so why would that ever happen to
    >>> you?
    >>>> And there's an F8 option to skip restoring and start normal boot
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Doesn't help with a hiberfile corruption.
    >>
    >> Ops...what then?
    >>
    >
    > As I said - you have to boot off the XP CD and then go to the first
    > restore prompt and from there delete the hiberfile.
    >
    > After that you can reboot normally with possible loss of data.

    Aha...thanks for the tip. You never know...
  20. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "DanielEKFA" <sorry.no.em@il.i.get.vira.and.spam> wrote in message
    news:414a0924$0$196$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk...
    > Unknown wrote:
    >
    >> "David" <David@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >> news:WqadnVPl_oD7JdTcRVn-oA@comcast.com...
    >>
    >>>It's not just the time factor; it's also the fact that applications
    >>>resume right where they were when the pc goes into hib. mode. very
    >>>convenient.
    >>
    >>
    >> Right up until the moment that you go to make the computer come back to
    >> life and find the hiberfile is corrupted. At that point it is very
    >> INconvenient AND you can lose data.
    >>
    >>
    >>>If you don't find that useful, so be it. Let's not try to convince each
    >>>other to change our ways. I respect that you prefer a cold start; I
    >>>prefer to use the hib. feature.
    >>>
    >>
    >>
    >> I wont try to make you change your ways. Didn't do it before, wont do it
    >> now. However, recommending using hibernation is just bad practice.
    >>
    >>
    >
    > I disagree. If hibernation works as it's supposed to, there's no reason

    Yep - and there's the cake taker! "If hibernation works as it's supposed
    to....". You appear to miss the whole crux - when it doesnt, you cant boot
    the machine normally, you cant get to a restore prompt normally, you cant
    get anywhere normally and you can lose data.

    > whatsoever not to use it in favor of a shutdown/startup sequence.

    If Windows worked as it is supposed to, we wouldn't need a firewall, too.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "If Windows worked as it is supposed to, we wouldn't need a firewall, too."

    Shows how much you know. A firewall is protection against threats coming
    from a network, not Windows.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Unknown" <thisandthat@hereandthere.oz> wrote in message
    news:2Yx2d.40$Cs.3823@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
    >
    > "DanielEKFA" <sorry.no.em@il.i.get.vira.and.spam> wrote in message
    > news:414a0924$0$196$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk...
    >> Unknown wrote:
    >>
    >>> "David" <David@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >>> news:WqadnVPl_oD7JdTcRVn-oA@comcast.com...
    >>>
    >>>>It's not just the time factor; it's also the fact that applications
    >>>>resume right where they were when the pc goes into hib. mode. very
    >>>>convenient.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Right up until the moment that you go to make the computer come back to
    >>> life and find the hiberfile is corrupted. At that point it is very
    >>> INconvenient AND you can lose data.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>If you don't find that useful, so be it. Let's not try to convince each
    >>>>other to change our ways. I respect that you prefer a cold start; I
    >>>>prefer to use the hib. feature.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I wont try to make you change your ways. Didn't do it before, wont do it
    >>> now. However, recommending using hibernation is just bad practice.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>
    >> I disagree. If hibernation works as it's supposed to, there's no reason
    >
    > Yep - and there's the cake taker! "If hibernation works as it's supposed
    > to....". You appear to miss the whole crux - when it doesnt, you cant boot
    > the machine normally, you cant get to a restore prompt normally, you cant
    > get anywhere normally and you can lose data.
    >
    >> whatsoever not to use it in favor of a shutdown/startup sequence.
    >
    > If Windows worked as it is supposed to, we wouldn't need a firewall, too.
    >
    >
  22. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Yeah, that one made me laugh too.
    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1095429932.87PP70sUVLFB0PJooeAjjA@teranews...
    > "If Windows worked as it is supposed to, we wouldn't need a firewall,
    > too."
    >
    > Shows how much you know. A firewall is protection against threats coming
    > from a network, not Windows.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "Unknown" <thisandthat@hereandthere.oz> wrote in message
    > news:2Yx2d.40$Cs.3823@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
    >>
    >> "DanielEKFA" <sorry.no.em@il.i.get.vira.and.spam> wrote in message
    >> news:414a0924$0$196$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk...
    >>> Unknown wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "David" <David@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >>>> news:WqadnVPl_oD7JdTcRVn-oA@comcast.com...
    >>>>
    >>>>>It's not just the time factor; it's also the fact that applications
    >>>>>resume right where they were when the pc goes into hib. mode. very
    >>>>>convenient.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Right up until the moment that you go to make the computer come back to
    >>>> life and find the hiberfile is corrupted. At that point it is very
    >>>> INconvenient AND you can lose data.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>If you don't find that useful, so be it. Let's not try to convince
    >>>>>each other to change our ways. I respect that you prefer a cold start;
    >>>>>I prefer to use the hib. feature.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> I wont try to make you change your ways. Didn't do it before, wont do
    >>>> it now. However, recommending using hibernation is just bad practice.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> I disagree. If hibernation works as it's supposed to, there's no reason
    >>
    >> Yep - and there's the cake taker! "If hibernation works as it's supposed
    >> to....". You appear to miss the whole crux - when it doesnt, you cant
    >> boot the machine normally, you cant get to a restore prompt normally, you
    >> cant get anywhere normally and you can lose data.
    >>
    >>> whatsoever not to use it in favor of a shutdown/startup sequence.
    >>
    >> If Windows worked as it is supposed to, we wouldn't need a firewall, too.
    >>
    >>
    >
  23. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Hibernation doesn't cause it to blow up. Jihad does!


    "David" <David@invalid.com> wrote in message
    news:wKqdnalCXZbctNfcRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
    > Your concerns are duly noted. If my pc blows up some day, I'll remember
    > your warnings. :)
    >
    > David
    >
    > Unknown wrote:
    > snip
    >>
    >>
    >>>If you don't find that useful, so be it. Let's not try to convince each
    >>>other to change our ways. I respect that you prefer a cold start; I
    >>>prefer to use the hib. feature.
    >>>
    >>
    >>
    >> I wont try to make you change your ways. Didn't do it before, wont do it
    >> now. However, recommending using hibernation is just bad practice.
    >>
  24. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Anyone that would hibernate without saving the work in their applications
    first is just naive.

    Save your work.
    Hibernate.

    If it won't resume, who cares?

    Tom
    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1095444127.rgqrOL3L7EtY2u+iiyUSig@teranews...
    > No need to get all upset. Like Hank said, any file on a hard disk can get
    > corrupted. It happens rarely, thankfully, but it does happen. And most of
    > the time it's not anyone's fault - it just happens. Computers are like
    > that. Fortunately, most of the time this can be easily fixed (reinstall
    > the application, extract a fresh copy, etc.)
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
  25. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Ctrl-s is my friend. I use it often.

    David

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > Anyone that would hibernate without saving the work in their applications
    > first is just naive.
    >
    > Save your work.
    > Hibernate.
    >
    > If it won't resume, who cares?
    >
    > Tom
    > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:1095444127.rgqrOL3L7EtY2u+iiyUSig@teranews...
    >
    >>No need to get all upset. Like Hank said, any file on a hard disk can get
    >>corrupted. It happens rarely, thankfully, but it does happen. And most of
    >>the time it's not anyone's fault - it just happens. Computers are like
    >>that. Fortunately, most of the time this can be easily fixed (reinstall
    >>the application, extract a fresh copy, etc.)
    >>
    >>Ted Zieglar
    >>
    >
    >
    >
  26. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > Anyone that would hibernate without saving the work in their
    > applications first is just naive.
    >
    > Save your work.
    > Hibernate.
    >
    > If it won't resume, who cares?
    >

    I totally agree with this part. In any case, i hibernate because of speed,
    not because i need to save anything for tomorrow... i usually close all apps
    and then hibernate. I just hate to wait ages for booting, but i also hate
    the idea of my RAM being under power overnight because of standby. I bet
    most of the folks who hibernate have same reasons.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > It took me several years before I could make a PC useful, but that's a
    > different story...

    You got that right...
  28. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > SleeperMan: Give it a rest. Hibernate, and move on.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    You're right...
  29. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    >>
    >> Sure...just tell me why hiber file has more chance of being corrupted
    >> than any other file on the HDD??? Please!!!
    >
    > Used Hibernate for 3 years.
    > Twice it wouldn't restore, both times it booted up 'Normal'
    >
    > Don't worry about it.

    OK
  30. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    news:JJ6dnes1H7UQr9bcRVn-rg@comcast.com...
    > Anyone that would hibernate without saving the work in their applications
    > first is just naive.
    >
    > Save your work.
    > Hibernate.
    >
    > If it won't resume, who cares?
    >

    You when the whole computer wont boot.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Dick Silk wrote:
    > go back to sleep, sleeper man.
    >
    From i see, you are sleeping...it took you 3 days to reply...
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Hibernate Computers