How does cable internet pop3 mail work with Treos

March 15, 2005 3:48:45 PM

Hello

I'm thinking of getting a Treos 600 from Bell Mobility in Toronto. My pop3 account is with Rogers hi-speed internet. I
connect through my cable modem through to my pop3 mailbox.

When I have a Treos, how does it connect to Roger's server. Does Bell Canada connect me to the internet and give me an
SMTP outbound path for my mail, and connect me to my Rogers pop3 server? Do I just use my normal pop3 and smtp server
names and passwords?

Thanks

Harry
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:48:48 PM

"Harry" <harry-fine@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I'm thinking of getting a Treos 600 from Bell Mobility in Toronto. My
pop3 account is with Rogers hi-speed internet. I
> connect through my cable modem through to my pop3 mailbox.
>
> When I have a Treos, how does it connect to Roger's server. Does Bell
Canada connect me to the internet and give me an
> SMTP outbound path for my mail, and connect me to my Rogers pop3 server?
Do I just use my normal pop3 and smtp server
> names and passwords?
>
> Thanks
>
> Harry

I'm in the UK, but my experience is that I simply log into my
cable-provider's pop3 account to access my mail. Use your account name and
password.

For sending, I used to use the SMTP server provided by my cell-phone network
provider -- but because I travel a lot and my laptop was always connecting
via different hotel broadband connections, I decided to get a single SMTP
server that I could use anywhere with any Internet connection -- I paid the
Fastmail people a one-time fee of $15 USD and never regretted it!
www.fastmail.fm (just a customer, but a happy one). Fastmail will provide
you with an account name and password for their SMTP server.

So currently it's Fastmail I'm using with my SnapperMail client.
!