Celerons still good for low cost computing?

G

I'm considering getting additional system soon. A dual athlon would be nice, but for 3D intensive (3d graphics rendering, heavy on the FPU), could a Celeron II be a good bang for the buck?

Messiah EYAWHOOSHUA is the key to your salvation.

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
The Celeron isn't good for anything except word processing, and even then it bombs in benchmarks. If you want a low-cost but good performaning computer, go with a Duron. They are cheaper than the Celeron and perform on levels similar to the P3 in many benchmarks. You can also get a fully integrated Duron motherboard (SiS 735) for less than a fully integrated Celeron motherboard (i815).

The moral is: a Duron system will give you much more bang for less than a Celeron System.

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
True, but since he was reffering to Celeron, I figured I would refer to Duron. The Athlon would work better and at not much of a price increase.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
celeron is quite good for most of the apps barring heaviest duty games and graphics - it works but quite not too well.

of course, do not use any onboard display hardware or crappy VIA boards. Asus CUBX or CUSL2-C is the best one, and it can overclock the CPU quite well too.

and get at least a Celeron 800 that has 100 MHz FSB, that would help tremendously.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Duron or Athlon is teh way to go- why not just get an Athlon? Considering you can get yourself an Athlon 1.1 Ghz at 81$ on pricewatch, and a Duron 1Ghz at 79$.

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Plus, why get a 200MHz bus Athlon when you can get the same processor with 266MHz bus support (which means nothing if you're overclocking)!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor