Sign in with
Your question

Shutdown Shortcut (Win2k)

Last response: in CPUs
September 14, 2001 2:49:46 AM

Does anyone know the command I can put in a shortcut I want to create that would shutdown Windows 2000, but not reboot? I want to have MBM 5 point to this in case of overheating, so it alarms for 20 seconds then shuts down. A link or the command itself would be most helpful!

:) 
September 14, 2001 3:46:34 AM

what's wrong with Shutdown Now!?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
September 14, 2001 4:30:31 PM

try using this utility, it works with all versions of windows and if configured properly can shutt off a machine in less than three seconds. the name of is "shutdown" and it can be downloaded <A HREF="http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/shutdown/de..." target="_new">here</A>

is this reality... i thought it would more realistic.
Related resources
September 14, 2001 5:08:45 PM

My guess is he owns a AMD and its overheating, and could explode at any moment. so he is looking for software that will shut down his machine when those last five degrees are up. Well good thing your taking measures to protect you rig. All the lemmings take notes, this is could be you.
September 14, 2001 5:28:19 PM

Fugger please take advice from Raystonn and try not to be your normal self for at least a week.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
September 14, 2001 5:32:36 PM

Yahiko, please try to post on topic if your even capable. That is the lamest signature by far.
September 14, 2001 5:48:22 PM

Oh and you are posting on the subject. I was mearly trying to get you to stop trolling, i know you never will but it doesn't hurt to try. And your sig is better?

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
September 14, 2001 8:51:24 PM

Fugger, you are correct on one count.

Let me correct you on the others...

I prefer to have some extra heat, pay $400 less, and get superior power. Secondly, I am gone most of the day, and need a way to have my system shut down when it gets to hot (our air conditioning goes off during the day, and reaches up to 85oF inside. Outside no help; Louisiana in the summer)
I have not run my system straight for a full day yet, and taking precautions against any ill effects that may happen.

And Fugger, I guess I am glad that you're happy paying $400 dollars (U.S.) more and getting less or equal preformance to mine. Including cooling.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2001 6:52:18 AM

STFU

<font color=blue>Lizards</font color=blue> hide under rocks,<font color=red>Trolls</font color=red> hide under bridges & jump out to ruin posts
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2001 7:11:59 AM

Can try this one buts its a normal shutdown, you can create this command line in a new shortcut>: <font color=blue>C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE user.exe,exitwindows</font color=blue>
I use this in winME so I don't really know if it would work in win2000.

Interesting how to get MBM5 to shut it down?

<font color=blue>Lizards</font color=blue> hide under rocks,<font color=red>Trolls</font color=red> hide under bridges & jump out to ruin posts<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 09/15/01 05:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 15, 2001 7:51:49 AM

When I last tried that under WinNT 4, all it did was log the user out. I suspect it would probably do the same thing in Win2K, but I don't feel like rebooting to find out. :tongue:

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2001 9:22:38 AM

I cannot remember where I have seen a web page on this exact subject, but you can modify that line to do different things.
Sorry to ask a question in this post, but I am having trouble with shutdown now in MBM5, so I have used that command line and works alright except its taking just over 30 seconds to shutdown like it normally does, what can I do to speed this up?

<font color=blue>Lizards</font color=blue> hide under rocks,<font color=red>Trolls</font color=red> hide under bridges & jump out to ruin posts
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2001 9:51:11 AM

how do you configure it properly though? is it something we have to figure out? or is it pretty easy?

deez
September 22, 2001 1:34:48 PM

the directions are either on the rjl website or in a readme file included with the download. but it is pretty to configure, you just extract it to a directory on your HDD then direct MBM to that directory and under the switch option in the MBM settings put in the switch that youy would like to use.

i think i'm using "FORCE" ( I'm at work so not sure) which will do an unconditional shutdown. as long as you don't have many programs running in the background it'll shut your system off in a few seconds.

one other thing about background programs, if you would like to remove some of the programs from starting up you can do that from "MSCONFIG" in windows 98 and ME. but if you have windows 95 or 2000 it's a bit mmore difficult, you will have to maually remove the items from the registry.
*****USE AT YOUR OWN RISK*****

you can do that by opening the registry editor, click start, run type in regedit, go to the path
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run"
and delete the keys in th eright for the programs that you don't want starting up. if you using win2k it's the exact same thing, the only minor difference is there will probably be more files starting up under, "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run" and just do the same thing here. in windows 95 there is no way to fix any problems you may have w/o re-instaling windows. but, in win 2k if you invoke lastknown good configuration at start-up it will usually fix problems with the registry.

i think thats everything.

<A HREF="http://www.textfiles.com/100/actung.hum" target="_new">Relaxen und watch das blinkenlights...</A>
!