whats the IP for AOL users?

Chooco

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
i run a Counter-Strike server, it's a multiplayer game where there are sometimes cheaters.
other admins ban by the user's ID (unique to the CD key) but i ban by IP.

my problem is that some users are on dialup which makes ip banning useless, the biggest dialup ISP i know of is AOL so how can i tell if somebody is on AOL?
usualy just the first 3 digits can tell you.

Windows has started.
Would you like to play another game?

Chooco

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
so 1 guy can have 243.xxx.xxx.xxx and another guy have 187.xxx.xxx.xxx?

damn it!

Windows has started.

Chooco

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
do you know at least some of the first 3 number combos for AOL? is 64. one of them?

Windows has started.

Only one problem with banning using that method... usually leads to more than one person being banned and that tends to piss people off... especially if they haven't commited a bannable offence. Dynamic IPs are really difficult to nail down, so you end up having to ban a whole range of addresses to ban just one guy. I suppose if every AOL user that connects to your server is cheating, then that would be acceptable, but I wouldn't think so.

As for them being the largest, yes that is true... but that doesn't mean that these cheaters are using AOL. Usually anyone that's serious about gaming online will avoid them like the plague. Some of them may even be on broadband connections (dynamic IPs are available from some ISPs.. and I wouldn't think AOL would be one of them)... a dynamic IP doesn't necessarily mean they're dialing up with AOL. What it boils down to is that in order to ban one specific person, you will have to ban a whole range of IPs... hope you don't get any hate mail over it.. heh.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Chooco

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
i usualy ban by ip but if i can tell it's AOL i will use WON ID that's why im asking.

btw all the Myg0t guys (people who just destroy servers by crashing them, lagging them, and cheating hard core on them) ALL use AOL. dialup guys also lag the server but that i don't care too much about..

Windows has started.