Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hard Drive Interface Question

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 10:49:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have a question for some of the more "knowledgable" of the group:
are EIDE hard drives and IDE Ultra ATA100 hard drives the same ?
What I am getting at is I can get a good deal on an IDE Ultra ATA100
hard drive and was wondering if I could use it in my system. Thanks!

Mike
Dimension 8200
2.53 Ghz P4
512 Megs RD-RAM
Windows XP Home SP1
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 10:49:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yep.

Will work fine. The ATA133 drivers are faster, but the difference is small
and I'm not convinced you'd ever see the difference.

Better be an incredible deal though. Anything over about 60 cents a
gigabyte is too high.

Tom
"Mike Smith" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
news:3jqbk017runv99cj70s924elh2bp9u1ido@4ax.com...
>I have a question for some of the more "knowledgable" of the group:
> are EIDE hard drives and IDE Ultra ATA100 hard drives the same ?
> What I am getting at is I can get a good deal on an IDE Ultra ATA100
> hard drive and was wondering if I could use it in my system. Thanks!
>
> Mike
> Dimension 8200
> 2.53 Ghz P4
> 512 Megs RD-RAM
> Windows XP Home SP1
>
>
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 11:33:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:11:16 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Yep.
>
>Will work fine. The ATA133 drivers are faster, but the difference is small
>and I'm not convinced you'd ever see the difference.
>
>Better be an incredible deal though. Anything over about 60 cents a
>gigabyte is too high.
>
>Tom

Thanks for the prompt reply Tom. My buddy has a 200 Gig drive, the
one I was talking about, that he will sell to me for $115 which I
though was a good deal. It's never been used and I am in need of
something extra besides my current 80 Gig hard drive.

Mike
Related resources
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 11:33:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

If you trust your buddy, go for it. However, you can find brand name 200GB
hard disks at retail for the same or less, if you can deal with rebates. At
least with a retail disk you have the manufacturer's warranty if something
goes wrong.

A tip: If you do get a bigger hard disk, you should consider making it your
primary hard disk. Depending on what type of hard disk your 80GB is, the new
disk may be significantly faster. Also, there is a theoretical performance
advantage to be gained from using a larger hard disk, since more of your
operating system will be stored on the outermost tracks, which spin the
fastest. I can't say whether this translates into faster performance that
you can actually notice.

Another advantage of a second hard disk: You can store your page file on the
second disk and gain some performance advantage.

"How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482&Product=winxp

And, of course, you can use a second hard disk to backup your system. Enjoy.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Mike Smith" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
news:iatbk097lk66vtlu3v21bajib8a98uop02@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:11:16 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Yep.
> >
> >Will work fine. The ATA133 drivers are faster, but the difference is
small
> >and I'm not convinced you'd ever see the difference.
> >
> >Better be an incredible deal though. Anything over about 60 cents a
> >gigabyte is too high.
> >
> >Tom
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply Tom. My buddy has a 200 Gig drive, the
> one I was talking about, that he will sell to me for $115 which I
> though was a good deal. It's never been used and I am in need of
> something extra besides my current 80 Gig hard drive.
>
> Mike
>
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 11:33:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Also don't forget your 8200 won't support over 127GB. So, that's all you'll
see unless you add a PCI card that supports a bigger drive.

Tom
"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:1095104935.a7wVzdj30GU4yWoIh6paXA@teranews...
> If you trust your buddy, go for it. However, you can find brand name 200GB
> hard disks at retail for the same or less, if you can deal with rebates.
> At
> least with a retail disk you have the manufacturer's warranty if something
> goes wrong.
>
> A tip: If you do get a bigger hard disk, you should consider making it
> your
> primary hard disk. Depending on what type of hard disk your 80GB is, the
> new
> disk may be significantly faster. Also, there is a theoretical performance
> advantage to be gained from using a larger hard disk, since more of your
> operating system will be stored on the outermost tracks, which spin the
> fastest. I can't say whether this translates into faster performance that
> you can actually notice.
>
> Another advantage of a second hard disk: You can store your page file on
> the
> second disk and gain some performance advantage.
>
> "How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows
> XP"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482&Product=winxp
>
> And, of course, you can use a second hard disk to backup your system.
> Enjoy.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Mike Smith" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
> news:iatbk097lk66vtlu3v21bajib8a98uop02@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:11:16 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Yep.
>> >
>> >Will work fine. The ATA133 drivers are faster, but the difference is
> small
>> >and I'm not convinced you'd ever see the difference.
>> >
>> >Better be an incredible deal though. Anything over about 60 cents a
>> >gigabyte is too high.
>> >
>> >Tom
>>
>> Thanks for the prompt reply Tom. My buddy has a 200 Gig drive, the
>> one I was talking about, that he will sell to me for $115 which I
>> though was a good deal. It's never been used and I am in need of
>> something extra besides my current 80 Gig hard drive.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 2:59:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:50:45 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
wrote:

>Another advantage of a second hard disk: You can store your page file on the
>second disk and gain some performance advantage.
>
>"How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP"
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482&Product=winxp
>
>And, of course, you can use a second hard disk to backup your system. Enjoy.

Ted, that's an informative link. Thanks!

Mike
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 2:59:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Mike Smith" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
news:sj9ck0572o3s7eao2nf2fg912obdr21e8q@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:50:45 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Another advantage of a second hard disk: You can store your page file on
>>the
>>second disk and gain some performance advantage.
>>
>>"How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows
>>XP"
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482&Product=winxp
>>
>>And, of course, you can use a second hard disk to backup your system.
>>Enjoy.
>
> Ted, that's an informative link. Thanks!
>
> Mike
>

Promise controller cards:

http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submi...


Stew
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 3:00:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:18:34 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Also don't forget your 8200 won't support over 127GB. So, that's all you'll
>see unless you add a PCI card that supports a bigger drive.

Nice heads up Tom! I told my buddy this and wanted him to lower his
price :-p He told me that if I have Win XP with SP1 installed it
should see the entire hard drive minus about 15 Gigs. Seeing how he
knows just a tab bit more about these things than me, and I don't know
a whole bunch, is that correct ? I googled this and have found
conflicting reports. Since my computer is a bit older it would not
surprise me that I could not get it to recognize a real large hard
drive. Thanks for all the information.

Mike
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 3:00:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Mike Smith" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
news:nc9ck0lggqhrnun0f69c954op32797a3f1@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:18:34 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Also don't forget your 8200 won't support over 127GB. So, that's all
>>you'll
>>see unless you add a PCI card that supports a bigger drive.
>
> Nice heads up Tom! I told my buddy this and wanted him to lower his
> price :-p He told me that if I have Win XP with SP1 installed it
> should see the entire hard drive minus about 15 Gigs. Seeing how he
> knows just a tab bit more about these things than me, and I don't know
> a whole bunch, is that correct ? I googled this and have found
> conflicting reports. Since my computer is a bit older it would not
> surprise me that I could not get it to recognize a real large hard
> drive. Thanks for all the information.
>
> Mike
>

I've heard this, but think it is an urban myth. Can't see how XP could
overcome the limitations of the controller electronics, but what do I know!

Tom
!