Does this dell information seem strange?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My friend went and got herself a computer instead of letting me build her one and when I looked at its specs, and inside the case I was a bit disturbed. The processor was a 1.1 GHz pentium 3 with a 100 MHz front side bus.
I thought the P3 went only to 1 GHz with a 100 MHz front side bus, and that the new tualatins were a 133 MHz FSB.

Then when I looked inside the geforce 2 MX video card HAD NO HEAT SINK. I could read "Geforce 2 MX" on the GPU plain as day.

She told me that her little brother couldn't play some game called "Lego Island" because the graphics didn't show up correctly, could this be caused by the GPU over heating? and also should she be alarmed with a 1.1 GHz with 100 FSB cpu? there might be time to send the system back so I'd like any information you can give me.
The entire computer is basically as follows.
1.1 GHz pentium 3
128 megs of ram
20 gig hard drive
Simple Sound Blaster card, not even live series
Some modem
geforce 2 mx
48x CD rom drive
17 inch monitor
and a "free" printer
it all costed just a tad under $1000.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Actually, it may be a celeron at 1.1, as it appears on their website. The MX doesn't really need a heatsink, so I think that's ok. The graphics may look wierd b/c of some driver issue- which driver she using?

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Im not sure Dell will take it back now that you opened it up.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Dell has gone downhill lately. If it's not this, it's them shipping all of their GeForce2 cards with sdram, or rdram600 instead of 800. They really are cutting corners. Thier performance is obviously pathetic next to a custom built PC.

Return the machine if you can and help your friend out. At this point she should trust you to build a better machine. Save her some money. Build her a decent machine for $750 and make her day.

<font color=red>Ever wonder what it would be like to be eaten alive by a Great White shark?</font color=red>

G

>The MX doesn't really need a heatsink, so I think that's ok.

hmm. I have a creative geforce MX (DDR crap version) without hsf. I recently put a thermal sensor from my digidoc on the chip.. and holy crap, under load it went over 70°C !!! Not sure how high a gf chip can/should go, but I quickly put an old 486 fan on it (just the fan, no heatsink), and it now only gets to 50°. Thats with a mildy overclocked core (190 instead of stock 175 Mhz)

Im not sure the weird graphics would have anything to do with it, but it sure wouldnt hurt putting a blue orb on it.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip

FatBurger

Illustrious
MX's don't need a heatsink, but they all have one (all the OEM and retail versions do, at least). I'd get something for it, it should help.

As for the CPU, it could very well be the first Tualatin Celery?

<font color=green>They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!</font color=green>

cutepunk

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Not many people have noticed it, but there's actually a cu-mine core Pentium3 1.1Ghz with 100MHz FSB. I believe it was made possible with a new stepping of the core. (I think the new one was D0 stepping)

I didn't know that Dell actually had a system built around it though..

G

Just a point of interest, a supplier that we have has been selling Celeron 1.2GHz processors for about a week now, something to note about these ones is the quoted description puts it with 256K of cache, and 128K of cache for the 1.1GHz, and 1GHz processors, surely THG can get a hold of a few to try out?

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Heres something that you should really check out, the 1.1 gig p3 scores lower then a 1gig p3 on all tests preformed by Intel.
<A HREF="http://developer.intel.com/procs/perf/PentiumIII_815E/index.htm" target="_new">http://developer.intel.com/procs/perf/PentiumIII_815E/index.htm</A>

Blitz Packer Brew, lifes better when you're blitzed!! :lol:

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hmm well I'll go to her house today and run WCPUID and sandra to see how much cache the ah heck has, and I'll probably put a blorb on there. I did install the new nvidia drivers for her little brothers games, but I havn't tested it out yet. I went into the bios and there really was jack crap there. I couldn't change CAS timings or anything at all.
I would convince my friend to send it back, but she wants dell because she can always call and ask for help, but I might not always be around.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Tell her that with a dell she will need 24.7 tech support but with you it'll be ok and she probably won't need any.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hehe that is very true, especially if I build a computer similar to mine. I'm almost at a 7 DAY uptime right now with simply windows 98se. 1400 MHz @ 1575 MHz air cooled.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
But on the flip side she will probably have a bunch of idiot errors and will blaim you. But if she had a dell she wouldn't want to feel like a dummy so she wouldn't call them. It's cruel the way they treat us.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well WCPUID shows 256k of L2 cache. That would make it a pentium 3.
I just throught it was very strange seeing a 1.1 GHz Pentium 3 that has a 100 Mhz front side bus.