AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!! this is what I live for!

<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/index.html" target="_new">the truth!</A>

this is what I've been saying since day one!

a shout out to my boy Van Smith! peace!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

FatBurger

Illustrious
Right, and since I routinely take off my heatsink for no reason, this article matters a lot. Wait...no it doesn't.

And what does Van Smith have to do with this?

<font color=green>They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!</font color=green>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dude, don't try and sidestep the issues, the article is about whether or not a cpu can withstand when an emergency arises, clearly the AMD cpu is quite gay.

Van Smith is the guy who exaggerated the P4 throttling and as you can see, it responds beautifully.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Granted we would all like to see AMD processors handle thermal issues better. But that doesn't constitue them being gay. Again how often does the heatsink fan come off? This situation is very unlikely.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't provoke him/her into posting links....

<font color=red>It is the weakest link. They are not ready yet many have tried and failed with it.</font color=red>

reversi

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2001
my qwetion is what is gayer?
Having a cpu that won't urvive w/o a heatink... or
taking a heatsink off a processor.
Who does that?
I know, even if i did have a P4, i wouldnt go home and take off the heatsink... cuz its just stupid!!!

Never Trust Intel to do AMD's job!

G

You should know Tom better than that. He ran out of breath trying to convince AMD how important thermal protection is. Now if this doesn't shock AMD enough to do something about it, nothing will and they will pay the concequences. Athlons are better processors. Intel is still best at thermal protection though.

Please, no flames. I own a P3/733 myself. Once I accidentally removed the fan connector from the motherboard. At times I wished I had an Athlon, but that afternoon I was very happy to own a P3! :)

G

Would an AMD die? I mean taking off the heatsink is just a little on the lunatic fringe there.... Given the circumstances i think the only real possibility of this happening is in an earthquake...

What i wan't to know is if the MP will survive a fan-death? Given a nice sized heatsink, would the MP live long enough to shut itself off?

Anyone tried it?

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
You are correct in saying that there is room for improvements with both products. Both Intel and AMD have been in a rush to gain market share, and now is the time for both to work toward continuous process improvements.

THERE IS NO PERFECT CPU, but I am sure glad for the competitive spirit of both companies to advance technology to the next level.

Living in a country that exercises free enterprise is a great privilege. So, I thank Tom Pabst for keeping, us the consumers well informed and the major high tech manufacturers on their toes.

One last thing, if anyone takes off there CPU cooler to operate their system they deserve harsh criticism, and if anyone's CPU cooler just happens to fall off whether its an Athlon or a P4, by the time they figure it out both system will suffer damage.

<b><font color=red>THIS IS A WARNING TO ALL.</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>DON'T RUN DOWNTOWN STARK NAKED, KEEP THOSE COOLERS ON!!!</b></font color=blue>

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"AMD needs to do more work. Both Athlon-processors, the new one as well as the old one, died within fractions of a second"

I wish I could use that pic of burts processors as my signature =)

And that is why many of the major OEM's do not use AMD processors (Including SGI). AMD is disposable like toilet paper after you just wiped.

G

Duh, AMD and Intel both need to do more work on their CPU's. Thats technology for you, always moving and improving. Now whats a hinderance and is backwards is Intel locking out chips that have been proven to go higher. Just to save their lieing a$$es.

<font color=purple>Three ways to do things, your way, my way and the wrong way!</font color=purple>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm sorry I just found this so funny, I'm sorry the truth has hurt you bigtime.

sorry for posting a valid link and newsworthy material.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
It didn't hurt me at all, seeing as how only an idiot would remove the heatsink while the system is running.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
I was merely commenting on alot of previous posts
that accused Tom of be biased towards AMD because
his benchmarks had shown AMD processor beating
their Intel equivalents.

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm sorry I just found this so funny, I'm sorry the truth has hurt you bigtime.
Unlike you, some of us have other things to do than trolling in this board.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
And what happens when your clips finally give up the ghost after supporting a 450 gram copper heatsink with a 7000 RPM fan ever so gently vibrating them. I think Tom has the right idea in putting pressure on AMD to offer thermal protection. Yes, you will not remove the heatsink-eventually, it will fall off! With a lightweight heatsink it could take a while...years. But a nice heavy heasink can do it in...well, occasionally they break the ears off as soon as you mount them!

Back to you Tom...

G

I took a lugg off with a light HS way too easily, so I bought a HS with a clip that holds on all six luggs which IMO should be on every HSF.(5 luggs on mine now)

<font color=purple>Three ways to do things, your way, my way and the wrong way!</font color=purple>

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
We all want thermal protection on our Athlons. And we all know about the thermal wattage and the consequences.
However, as long as the HSF stays on it's not a problem. And my 500g HSF hasn't come of yet….1 year and counting.

In fact, I'll bet the 140 bucks my Athlon cost the it NEVER comes off….it uses a plate to ALL 5 lugs on the M/B.
I'd bet I could drop it from 4 feet and it wouldn't come off. The MoBo would have to break off the stand offs before
The HSF would break loose.

Does AMD need to work on it? Sure. But the reality is i'm really not worried about the HSF or the heat.

"Get the facts first. You can distort them later." - Mark Twain

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Good point, but how often do hsf fall off? If you don't overclock then the hsf that comes retail will suffice and it's not heavy, if you overclock you can always go with the watercooled option. I for one, would love for AMD to solve their heat issues. I'm just saying that the heatsink will rarley come off. And if it does come off while the system is on then more than likely it's going to short out your motherboard or another component. I think AMD should changer their design but the problem isn't currently that big. They are taking a step in correcting that with the palamino. As long as the hs stays on its fine. Also the palaminos don't have the heat problems that thunderbirds do so you don't need large heatsinks. And if it does happen to fall off after a couple of years then you probably were looking for an excuse to upgrade anyways.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey jc14all,
I totally agree with you! What is next?........Let's see which CPU can survive the most coffee being dumped on it, while running? Coz this could really happen? People who cheer and post useleess stuff about either company, do not realize it is that same other company that is making their company push the technology envelope. I think both AMD & Intel know enough about thermodynamics and are working on better solutions to heat and running cooler. Right now both companies are trying to stay ahead in a shrinking PC market and "Speed" sells. This heat issuse is not new, and I know both companies will have better solutions in the future.
Peace Out.......tile

Keep Hope Alive!

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Imagine using a water cooled setup. Pump failure, water leak,.. almost same thing as removing heatsink. If a standard air cooled HS fell or broke off the CPU socket, it would probably land on top of your AGP card or at the bottom of the case. It is likely to happen when you transport your PC around.

<font color=red>It is the weakest link. They are not ready yet many have tried and failed with it.</font color=red>

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
That's why you always check your system over after transporting it. And if you were using the palamino it wouldn't matter if the pump failed. It would shut the system down because the water block is still on their to dissapate heat. A water leak is going to fry your system so I don't see how that is the same as removing the heatsink.

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
agreed, he got on intel's back about the p3 1.13 and now he's on amd about the thermal issues. both companies have issues to work on. let's all avoid feeding meltdowns fire shal we?

"no vesige of a begining, no prospect of an end, when we all disenigrate, it'll all happpen again."