Shadow demons

Shadow demons appear in the BoVD, which is 3.0. Certain of its
abilities appear to be in conflict with its Incorporeal type. So, I'm
hunting opinions of how to resolve these conflicts.

The issue: Shadow demons have the Incorporeal subtype. Incorporeal
creatures have no Str score (the shadow demon has no Str score). Their
attacks are generally of the incorporeal touch kind. Incorporeal
creatures cannot grapple.

However, a shadow demon's attacks are melee touch. Also, a shadow demon
has the Improved Grab, Pounce, and Rake special attacks. These cause a
problem with its Incorporeal subtype.

My thoughts are as follows:

1. Drop its incorporeal subtype. Its attacks become claw attacks, it
gains a Str score, and can grapple, pounce, and rake. It loses
Deflection AC mod, but could gain a natural armour mod to replace it.
In essence, the shadow demon becomes a creature of solidified darkness.

....Or...

2. Retain its incorporeal subtype. Its attacks become incorporeal touch
attacks. It loses Improved Grab and Rake. However, it could retain
Pounce in that it could feasibly do so to gain 4 incorporeal touch
attacks in the first round. It loses Move Silently as a skill
(incorporeal creatures can choose to move silently or not).

Thoughts? Anyone know of an official resolution?

--
Ian R Malcomson
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box"

Ian R Malcomson wrote:

> Shadow demons appear in the BoVD, which is 3.0. Certain of its
> abilities appear to be in conflict with its Incorporeal type. So, I'm
> hunting opinions of how to resolve these conflicts.
>
> The issue: Shadow demons have the Incorporeal subtype. Incorporeal
> creatures have no Str score (the shadow demon has no Str score). Their
> attacks are generally of the incorporeal touch kind. Incorporeal
> creatures cannot grapple.
>
> However, a shadow demon's attacks are melee touch. Also, a shadow demon
> has the Improved Grab, Pounce, and Rake special attacks. These cause a
> problem with its Incorporeal subtype.
>
> My thoughts are as follows:
>
> 1. Drop its incorporeal subtype. Its attacks become claw attacks, it
> gains a Str score, and can grapple, pounce, and rake. It loses
> Deflection AC mod, but could gain a natural armour mod to replace it. In
> essence, the shadow demon becomes a creature of solidified darkness.
>
> ...Or...
>
> 2. Retain its incorporeal subtype. Its attacks become incorporeal touch
> attacks. It loses Improved Grab and Rake. However, it could retain
> Pounce in that it could feasibly do so to gain 4 incorporeal touch
> attacks in the first round. It loses Move Silently as a skill
> (incorporeal creatures can choose to move silently or not).
>
> Thoughts? Anyone know of an official resolution?

Just ask Vengor what he thinks. He worked with one of those things for
a while as I recall.

- Ron ^*^

Ian R Malcomson <ian@domicus.demon.co.uk> writes

>Shadow demons appear in the BoVD, which is 3.0. Certain of its
>abilities appear to be in conflict with its Incorporeal type. So, I'm
>hunting opinions of how to resolve these conflicts.

Forget it... I skipped a section of reading that negates this conflict
entirely, although not why they have Move Silently as a skill. Ah well.