Launcher

Tags:
March 15, 2005 10:20:20 AM

I'm looking at getting an add-in launcher for my M500. I read through
the many threads here comparing what's out there. I'm leaning toward
either Zlauncher or Megalaunch, but am open to other suggestions. These
are just the 2 I've found that have everyhing I'm looking for. I'll
probably download both and try them out before I buy.
I'd like some opinions on each of them, pros and cons, particularly
concerning the techie side of each. I'm listing what I want in a
launcher so I can get ideas on which one might best meet my needs.

Want my memory card apps to appear with the rest of the similar apps on
the same tabs (I have 2 memory cards, one with a bunch of games on it,
the other just Backupman).

I want drag and drop to move and delete files.

File management - I'd like to be able to tell what app a given file is
associated with so I know if I can delete it or not.

Battery status on standard screen. Don't want it to take up a lot of
screen space, but big enough to see without squinting or getting out a
magnifying glass (my eyes aren't what they used to be)

Since my M500 has a b&w screen, skins and screen savers and such are a
waste of time.

I run XMaster and a couple of hacks, so I want it compatible with that
and ButtonSwitch+ (great for getting to the apps I use most often)

I like some customization, but I don't like a very cluttered screen, so
I want either a simple screen or one I can customize to contain just
what I want. Some of the launchers I've tried (LaunchEm and
LauncherIII) had too many icons with too much fooling around to make
things happen. I definitely don't need 6 or 8 icons for utilities when
all I use regularly is move and delete, maybe one more.

So I'm asking for advice from you techno-nerds who know this stuff
inside and out. The main thing I want to avoid is hang-ups and OS
problems! If I wanted that, I'd get a WinCE device!

Please don't bother telling me that I really don't need a launcher and
the the original Palm one is great. I've used it for years, it works, I
want something more.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

More about : launcher

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:15:22 AM

In article <1110900020.181478.102650@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
davegb@safebrowse.com says...
> I'm looking at getting an add-in launcher for my M500. ...
> Thanks in advance for your feedback.

<http://www.pdalive.com/launchers.php&gt;
Reviews.PDA Live! - Launchers
--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

You might want to check out LauncherX www.launcherx.com I have used it
and previous versions for years...

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:15:22 GMT, Jim Anderson
<fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:

>In article <1110900020.181478.102650@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>davegb@safebrowse.com says...
>> I'm looking at getting an add-in launcher for my M500. ...
>> Thanks in advance for your feedback.
>>

><http://www.pdalive.com/launchers.php&gt;
>Reviews.PDA Live! - Launchers

Chet Marino
Westminster, CO
Related resources
March 16, 2005 9:23:24 PM

Chet Marino wrote:
> You might want to check out LauncherX www.launcherx.com I have used it
> and previous versions for years...

I use Launcher X and like it. Is it still supported (I couldn't get to
the web page to see)? It does have a major bug that hasn't bit me in a
while. I think it has to do with making a lot of changes to the
program fillip its "preferences" storage or something like that.

It sure would be great if it is being actively supported.

Russell
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 6:24:11 AM

On 15 Mar 2005 07:20:20 -0800, "davegb" <davegb@safebrowse.com> spewed forth
these words of wisdom:

>I'm looking at getting an add-in launcher for my M500. I read through
>the many threads here comparing what's out there. I'm leaning toward
>either Zlauncher or Megalaunch, but am open to other suggestions.

I used to use Zlauncher, but MegaLauncher is so much more polished.

Galley
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 10:20:49 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I've read many reviews and searched this NG
for all kinds of information. I have narrowed it down, and am going to
download and try 2: Megalauncher and Zlauncher. They seem to have most
of the features I want. My main concern with both of these is that the
screens appear very cluttered. I'm hoping they have enough
customization options to remove most of the clutter.
I guess I don't understand why so many launchers have so many tools on
the screen. I prefer to show more apps and just be able to Tap and Hold
to delete, copy, get info, etc. If I can Tap and Hold to do those
things, and drag and drop to change categories, then I don't need most
of the tools. Just the time, date and a battery indicator. Of course,
my old M500 has a b&w screen, so it looks more cluttered, at least to
my eye, then a color screen with the same stuff on it.
As for quick access, I have dozens of apps on my M500, most of which I
use occasionally. The 13 I use frequently I have fast access to through
ButtonSwitch+, so all I have to do is press the standard buttons a few
times to get to my apps. Each button can do up to 4 apps, and I still
have 7 more "spaces" before I use up the 20 possibilities (including
the silkscreen calculator button, which can also give access to 4
apps).
Again, thanks for the help!
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 12:36:27 PM

I've been using iSpin with the MacOSX theme for the last few months, didn't
really like ZLauncher.

iSpin is freeware:-
http://www.taptarget.com/products/

--
Gerry aka (The MOTH)
SG1 Edinburgh

'Time is short. Life is cruel. Its up to us to change, this town called
malice'
"Galley" <Galley@Spam-Jammer.galleytech.com> wrote in message
> On 15 Mar 2005 07:20:20 -0800, "davegb" <davegb@safebrowse.com> spewed
forth
> these words of wisdom:
>
> >I'm looking at getting an add-in launcher for my M500. I read through
> >the many threads here comparing what's out there. I'm leaning toward
> >either Zlauncher or Megalaunch, but am open to other suggestions.
>
> I used to use Zlauncher, but MegaLauncher is so much more polished.
>
> --
> "I'm not a cool person in real life, but I play one on the Internet"
> Galley
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 2:29:45 PM

Russell <rwkeating-remove@comcast.net> aszonygya:
:I use Launcher X and like it. Is it still supported (I couldn't get to

:It sure would be great if it is being actively supported.

I don't know the answer, never used it, but its developer, Bozidar Benc died
almost a year ago [3/24/2004]. Bozidar was a good friend of mine, he
introduced me to Palm programming, and he was one of the best ever Palm
programmers. He had vision. /PaulN
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 7:11:10 PM

Russell <rwkeating-remove@comcast.net> wrote in news:srudnSbkF5eYU6XfRVn-
3g@comcast.com:

> I use Launcher X and like it. Is it still supported (I couldn't get to
> the web page to see)?

Yes. There have been no major new versions, but it is supported.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 7:41:16 PM

nevai@math.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) wrote in
news:D 1bpn9$e4v$1@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu:

> I don't know the answer, never used it, but its developer, Bozidar
> Benc died almost a year ago [3/24/2004]. Bozidar was a good friend of
> mine, he introduced me to Palm programming, and he was one of the best
> ever Palm programmers. He had vision. /PaulN

His death saddened many people. The company is still supporting the
product, though. There have been no new version releases, but I haven't
seen the need for one. It works, and works well.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 10:52:05 AM

Decided to try Megalauncher first, so I downloaded it last night and
installed it on my M500. Wouldn't run, requires a color screen! So much
for Megalauncher.
Downloaded ZLauncher and installed it. So far, I'm very happy. It
allows me to totally customize the interface and get rid of all the
stuff I don't want or need. Why have a gazillion tools wasting screen
space when you can tap and hold and get them on a menu that's only
there when I need it?
I did get a little frustrated at one point. Somehow, while clicking and
trying everything in sight, I made it so nothing showed up on the upper
bar. It kept telling me that there were buttons/icons there, but I
couldn't see them! Took me a while to figure it out, but I had set the
background and foreground to the same shade and made the icons
dissappear.
It's way more than I need. I hardly ever even access the launcher,
except when I play games or want to use one of the less used programs
on my Palm. But it has what I need, so unless I run into some sort of
problems during the month free trial, I'll probably buy it.
Thanks for the help from everyone here.
Dave
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 6:55:29 PM

Stan Gosnell <murkuhn@gmail.com> aszonygya:
:His death saddened many people. The company is still supporting the
:p roduct, though. There have been no new version releases, but I haven't
:seen the need for one. It works, and works well.

Do you mean that there have been bug fixes? That's good news. /PaulN
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 6:55:30 PM

On 18 Mar 2005 15:55:29 GMT, Paul Nevai wrote:

> Stan Gosnell <murkuhn@gmail.com> aszonygya:
>:His death saddened many people. The company is still supporting the
> :p roduct, though. There have been no new version releases, but I haven't
>:seen the need for one. It works, and works well.
>
> Do you mean that there have been bug fixes? That's good news. /PaulN

Except that version 1.1 added an annoying bug where LauncherX
occasionally forgets the categories for applications on the SD card.

--
Derek

"For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in
terms of the-not-worth-knowing." -- H. L. Mencken
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 3:46:46 AM

Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote in news:4i6asj7lcg0i.dlg@gwinn.us:

> Except that version 1.1 added an annoying bug where LauncherX
> occasionally forgets the categories for applications on the SD card.

I haven't seen that. Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never had any problems at
all with LauncherX.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 3:46:47 AM

Mine has worked fine for years, never a problem.

On 19 Mar 2005 00:46:46 GMT, Stan Gosnell <murkuhn@gmail.com> wrote:

>Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote in news:4i6asj7lcg0i.dlg@gwinn.us:
>
>> Except that version 1.1 added an annoying bug where LauncherX
>> occasionally forgets the categories for applications on the SD card.
>
>I haven't seen that. Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never had any problems at
>all with LauncherX.

Chet Marino
Westminster, CO
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 3:46:48 AM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:47:59 -0700, Chet Marino wrote:

> Mine has worked fine for years, never a problem.

Mine worked fine until I upgraded to 1.1. Something in 1.1 doesn't
like something else on my Palm. So perhaps it's unfair to lay all the
blame on LauncherX.

--
Derek

Your role may be thankless, but if you're willing to give it your all,
you just might bring success to those who outlast you.
!