What's a good temp range?

G

I have 1.2Gig 266 FSB T-bird that runs on average about 50 degrees Celcius. When I load up anything like Quake 3, or Tribes2 it will get up to 65 and sometimes higher. I have a Thermal Right SK-6 with the Delta fan that comes with it and I can't seem to get my temps as low as everyone else. Is 65 too high? Or should I try and figure out what the deal is with my cooling set up?

G

Yes thats a bit too high for a good HS like that, below 50C on a hot run is better.
Try re-seating the HSF and use Artic silverII thermal compound instead of that thermal pad if it has one. Also add in some case fans to move that hot air away. This is of course (I am assuming) your not overclocked at all?
Just for interest sake what is the Vcore reading?

<font color=purple>Three ways to do things, your way, my way and the right way!</font color=purple>

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
I am running hot at 55C with a 1400, and the crappy retail fan. Anything upto 60C should be ok, but 65 is getting a bit extreme. It will prolly run ok at that temp, but with your setup it should not get that hot......

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

G

I'm using the arctic silver II, and i trashed the thermal pad. (Damn thing kept sticking to my fingers) I'll get the core voltage as soon as i get home. My hypothesis is the crappy cardboard shim that came with the heatsink isn't up to snuff. But before I rip that fan off again I'll add a couple more case fans. I've taken off that damn heat sink five times and each time was just as hard as the first.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheFritoB on 09/17/01 06:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Get rid of that shim! You didnt mention that before.
More than probably thats not allowing a good contact with the CPU core, thats the danger with shims.

<font color=purple>Three ways to do things, your way, my way and the right way!</font color=purple><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 09/18/01 09:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Booyaa! Alrighty, consider it gone. I'll post the results after the event.

If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

TotalEclipse

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2001
I'm having a similar problem (I posted something before but was told not to worry - I'm not so sure, though...)

I'm running an Athlon 1.4 with an Alpha 6035 on it. THG ran at 40 degrees with this fan at 3700 rpm and a 1GHz Athlon. I'm hitting 62-63 under light load in Windows with the case on and the fan supposedly around 4700 RPM. I'm running a Gigabyte GA-7DXR in a Landmark 298 series case (comes with a low front mounted case fan which doesn't pump out much air...) I'm also running the stock 250W power supply pending an Antec 350W with a 92mm fan on the underside arriving within the next couple of days (hopefully).

I'm using artic silver, and just painstakingly reapplied it following the recommended instructions / reseated my fan (which dropped the temp by ~2 degrees, i.e. not much.) As a result I've temporarily taken the case off and have a desk fan blowing air in (down to 53degrees as I write this with Word and ICQ running - still a little high but acceptable as I don't plan on O/Cing.

What I want to know is how can I drop as much as possible (at the very least I don't want to top 60 - ever!) I'm currently planning to improve on the front case fan and maybe put an extra exhaust on the back. Will the power supply have a big effect? If it helps, my current core voltage is 1.775V.

Thanks in advance for your responses...

*As the username implies, I'm generally in the dark*

G

That was it! I ditched the shim and it dropped the base temp to about 34 degrees straight up in windows. Big thanks guys! I'm gonna bet that after i get another case fan or two it'll be running a bit smoother.

Btw: My core voltage was bouncing between 1.71 and 1.89

If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat.