Having a heat sink may not offer protection...

G

I just fired two AMD T-Bird 1.2Ghz chips (the night before Toms article). I had Thermatake Crome Orb heat sinks on them but, due to a non-conductive shim, the heat sink wasn't making enough contact with the CPU. Before the system could even post, the CPU was smoking.

To say the least I'm pissed off. Enough so that I just ordered a a P4-1.7Ghz to replace the dead systems.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
That was an idiot error. You cost yourself a lot of money going with the p4 instead of taking time to make sure everything was hooked up right. When you switched to the p4 you had to buy a new mb, ram and processor. You must have a lot of money to play around with. Don't take out your lack of intelligence on AMD.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Indeed, although I wish AMD had better thermal protections, you should know how to install a cpu before playing around =(

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

G

The thing is that I had already bought a new CPU, Motherboard and memory to go with the AMD. Now I shall just return them all. Whats more, the system was setup right according to the design of the heat sink. Perhaps I should also be pissed off at Thermatake, however the CPU should not have fried before I could even get into the post screen.

I've had heat sinks fail and fall off before, the plastic tabs they connect to have been known to break off. What would have been the result had this happened while I was away at work?

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Exactly. Don't come in here blaming AMD when its your fault for not doing research...Chrome Orb? non-Conductive Shim? What the heck were you thinking? And rather than take the time to do more research you just waste your money.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
What I want to know is how where you dumb enough to let it happen twice?

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Hrmm... sounds suspiciously like a distributor of FUD trying to capitalize on an article of AMD's well known only weakness.

But just in case you're telling the truth:

Tsk Tsk Tsk.... what kind of shim did you use? There are certain places that offer shims that are uniformly machined that are suitable for Athlon processors. If you decided to save a couple bucks and buy a non certified shim, then don't cry about destroying your processors. Does AMD even certify shims for use with their CPU's? I really don't think they do....

Anyway, good luck with your P4. With your current expertise in applying heatsinks, I suspect you'll be able to run your P4 in such a way that it is continuously throttled at half speed, but at least it won't fry like your mishandled Athlons.

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

G

The Crome Orbs have copper cores. You are suposed to use a non-conductive shim with them. What in your opinion did I do wrong? I ask becuse I aparently dont know how to install a CPU so it wont burst into smoke once the system is turned on after building computers for 10 years.

G

Two systems being built at the same time with the same configuration.

G

It was a certified shim, intended to be used with the coper core Crome Orb heat sinks. It was installed as per the design, however the shim (as is to be expected) does restrict contact with the CPU a bit.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Let me get this straight, you are trying to tell us that you professionally build computers and burnt two processors?? Why would you even want to use a shim? So are you going to waste more money on buying two p4 systems and get sub par performance or are you going to get two more athlons and some better heatsinks and get rid of those stupid shims?

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
That was your error. Don't blame it on the processor. And if you've been building systems for 10 years, why did you even bother using a shim in the first place? You should have known it's flaws.

Frying two? Sounds a little careless to me. "Hmm, let's do the same thing to my other chip, even after the first fried." Great plan....

FatBurger

Illustrious
Non-conductive shims because of the copper core on a Chrome Orb? What BS.
Firstly, the <A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/du0462.htm" target="_new">Chrome Orb</A> doesn't have a copper center.
Secondly, the shim should touch the copper center (if it had one).
Third, shims are carefully designed to avoid contact with anything in the CPU that conducts electricity on the surface, meaning a non-conductive shim isn't needed, no matter what.

<font color=green>They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!</font color=green>

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I think this whole thread is bs. I mean first he tells us that he fried two tbirds(like anyone is dumb enough to do it the second time) and bought one p4 instead, but then later he tells us that he had two athlon systems, but didn't mention anything about two p4 systems. I think someone is just being a complete dumbass and just got called.

G

Yes I agree!
Well for a start Kujako, when I got my Chrome orb it never even came with a shim, no recomendation for one at all in fact thermaltake even say on some of the other HSF spec's not to use one. 10 years of building systems should have taught you not to use shims when you do not have to.

We have been set up for trolling here!

<font color=purple>Three ways to do things, your way, my way and the right way!</font color=purple>

G

It was a certified shim, intended to be used with the coper core Crome Orb heat sinks. It was installed as per the design, however the shim <font color=blue>(as is to be expected) does restrict contact with the CPU a bit</font color=blue>.
<font color=blue>Seems you already knew, if you didnt thats your answer, that isn't anyones fault but your own</font color=blue>

Certified shim from who?

You knew to come here and complain but you didnt come to ask, your only posts ever made are all in this thread.

<font color=purple>Three ways to do things, your way, my way and the right way!</font color=purple>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yet another person IMPROPERLY INSTALLING HIS HEATSINK AND BLAMING IT ON AMD. Hope you enjoy your p4.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
possibly you missed the fact that ORBs have a shoulder on them that will always make contact with a shim and that shims should never be used with an ORB, which is unfortunate since ORBs are the most famous for crushing cpu cores.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

I have used the chrome orb , mini copper orb, dragon orb3 7k fan.(ringing noises in my ears)
Only one of those three are good and thats the Dragorb3, in hindsight I could have tried a SK6 or something not as noisy, may even order the Dragorb 4500rpm fan option for a trial.. Mini copper is ok for up to 1200mhz max IMO, that chrome piece of rubbish isnt worth scrap metal money.
Not one of those would be suitable for a shim, the base just by looking at it just cries out don't shim me!

G

Small matter of availability in my area, but Im happy with what I got until I go Vapochil, which oddly enough is available here.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You are suposed to use a non-conductive shim with them. ... I ask becuse I aparently dont know how to install a CPU so it wont burst into smoke once the system is turned on after building computers for 10 years.
Are you for <b><font color=red>REAL</b></font color=red>??? I've built several AMD comps, never used any shim (even for my first one with Orb but changed to GlobalWin later), and never had problem!

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.