Does Morgan die with HSF off?

G

Does anyone know? The AMD Morgan is a newer chip. I wonder if the same thing would happen when/if the HSF came off?

Really want to know.

Thanks,

Louis

G

Also, would mother board monitor save the board? Or even eliminate the possibility of a fire (as noted in article when talking about TB 1.4 smiking the board).

Thanks,

Louis

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Your chances of a fire are about as good as winning the 300 million dollar jackpot on the powerball. NO mbm5 wouldn't be able to react in enough time.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
morgan is the duron version of the palomino care - I have no reason to suspect it will fare any better than that poor AthlonMP RIP. Neither a motherboard bios nor software solution is likely to react fast enough to save the cpu - and once the cpu dies, so does the bios.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Only in the case of total catastrophic failure(ie no hsf) if the fan dies all motherboard monitor shutdowns should function fine, I wonder why tom didnt do that test.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
You know something... your recent posts remind me of that bump of Fugger's first post. Take a few slow deep breaths...

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I was merely pointing out, that the only time a heatsink failure should take out a palomino is when the total heatsink fails.(ie falls off) which is HIGHLY rare.

As for the tone of my last few posts, I will take a few deep breaths before drifting into the realm of troll myself. Thanks for the friendly advice.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
yep - certainly should. Indeed MBM should get a straight Athlon shutdown in time on a fan or watercooling failure.

I was just responding to the question - would a Morgan stay safe in the same test the MP failed - answer, no.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Tom_Smart

Illustrious
Very rare indeed. Just checked with the tekys at work. 7 tekys, 41 years experience between them, never seen it happen. Although they all admit it could happen.

Although it has a lot of good ideas, beer doesn't know anything about computers!!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I'd say yes but I'd probably reach a lower maximum temperature than the Athlon and AthlonMP. Why? Simply because the Morgan has less cache which usually means less heat.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have tested MBM with SHUTDOWN NOW! for system shutdown and it works as advertised.

My Tbird will peak at 50c under heavy load. I have MBM set at 55c for shutdown, plenty of time should the fan fail. I then changed the MBM shutdown threshold to 49c, and loaded UNREAL. The system shutdown when the threshold was hit.

Now I know that this is not the best test of MBM, I should have stopped or unplugged the fan. However, since I make part of my living from this machine, I did not want to risk damaging the system, however small the odds were.

The bottom line is that compared to Intels thermal protection, AMD's solution for its existing product line is inadequate.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
AMD did not impliment thermal protection, they put a temprature diode in the chip. It was not designed to shut down the core in the event of total hsf failure. AMD did nothing wrong, nothing is faulty.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
mbm and shutodown now do work in the event of fan failiure and the cpou reaching the shutdown temp that you configured, I tried it by setting the max temp to 60C and stopping the fan (before I went watercooled) and it shut down no probs, as already mentioned, a heatsnk cant just FALL OFF, lol most of the clips need a screwdriver to put it on in the first place, that article of toms is major BS, and A LOT of people are now scared to own and amd, I lost out on a system, I was to do for someone because of that, (I refused to make them a pentium out of principle!) A fan fail test would have been apropriate, but a heatsink falling off is bollox, ANYTHING on this earth will break if you use it in a way its not supposed to be used, in this case an athlon without a heatsink- a ferrari engine would die if you ran it without oil and water- whats the difference?

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
My post was in reply to those who call toms "test" a failure of AMD's thermal protection. AMD never claimed to HAVE thermal protection, they provided in palomino a temprature monitor which could be used as PART of a outside thermal protection system, but AMD chips themselves do not have thermal protection.

This is not a good thing which they will remedy later I hope, but even so it does not weigh very heavily on my mind when choosing a cpu.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL! why is a Fujitsu/AMD janitor putting a spin on AMD's half-assed thermal protection?

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

FatBurger

Illustrious
And why is a McDonald's lackey talking about something he knows nothing about?

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Hey Hey Hey! Meltdown doesn't work at McD's.... I distinctly recall buying a burrito from him at Taco Bell ;)

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Nice try at a personal insult meltdumbass, but I'd like some fries with that, oh and super size thanks.

Back on topic.

The thermal diode is NOT MARKETED as thermal protection by AMD. It is merely for temprature monitoring, this monitoring combined with logic on a motherboard could be used for adequate thermal protection, but the palomino itself does not, and never claimed to have, thermal protection.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~