Palamino?

G

Is the AMD Palamino 1.5/1.6GHz processors gonna be comin out soon for desktop users. I know the 1.2 version is already out in MP form. If and when it does come out about how much will it be? I also heard that a 1.5 or 1.6 Palamino coupled with an Nforce mobo would smoke a P4 2GHz is this true?

Thanx
AMDLOVER

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"I also heard that a 1.5 or 1.6 Palamino coupled with an Nforce mobo would smoke a P4 2GHz is this true?"

While the nForce chipset still restricts your CPU to 2.1GB/s of memory bandwidth (Pentium 4 with i850 chipset gets 3.2GB/s), the performance of a 1.5 or 1.6GHz Palomino is currently unknown. Additionally, the Pentium 4 Northwood will be out some time between late November and early January and is compatible with the socket 478 currently being used by the newer Pentium 4.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
So in essence what he is saying is yes it will mop the floor with the current pentium 4's but take a beating(maybe) when the northwoods come out. It's a vicious cycle.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
No, I'm saying that the performance is unknown. When a product is released or tested by a review site, then one can make a judgement call. Until then, we have no real data. The only thing that matters is real data.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
So in essence what he is saying is "theoretically" yes it will mop the floor with the current pentium 4's but take a beating(maybe) when the northwoods come out. It's a vicious cycle.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Was it your plan to turn into a troll or did one bite you?

-Raystonn

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I'm sorry - but reading that small xchange was extremely amusing - not much has really made me chuckle recently and that did.

Not a put down to either of you - but the little twists and the the final 'bitten by a troll' was, I feel classic, however my judgement in such matters may be a little off recently.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
"I also heard that a 1.5 or 1.6 Palamino coupled with an Nforce mobo would smoke a P4 2GHz is this true?"

Based on reviewer exdperience with Athlon MP 1.2 performance improvements it's pretty easy to determine an approximate performance increase of the Palomino core Athlon XP over the T-bird core. So far *average* performance improvement clock for clock seems to be around 6 or so percent. (According to several reviews of the Athlon MP and their own assertion of the above). Since P4 2ghz average performance over athlon 1.4 was roughly 8.5% a Palomino 1.5 should slightly outperform the P4 2ghz...by a couple percent (2 or 3 maybe) Of course, the KT266A also adds an average performance boost of 3% so a Palomino 1.4 should (theoretically) equal the performance of the 2GHz P4 when coupled with a KT266A board.

BUT as Ray points out, we won't really know for sure until reviews with solid benchmarks are out in a few weeks.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

G

Hilarious ! At least someone on this board with a refined sense of humour. Thank you very much indeed, for a good laugh.. its also oh so true..

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
In all of my troll hunting I must of picked up some bad habits. Besides it was only theorectical.