Windows 7 shift key dont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

egrif

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hello,
A couple of days ago both shift keys stopped functioning correctly. The Caps Lock key still works. If I hold down the shift key, after about 5 seconds, it will ask if I want to active the sticky keys functionality, so I am assuming that the hardware is functioning correctly. A reboot does not solve the issue

Solution
Unplug the keyboard and replug into a different usb hub. IE: If it's plugged into the back use the usb ports on the front. (if in the front use the ones on the back)
We have A LOT of issues like that with headsets, keyboards (basically anything usb) especially this time of year because it is so dry here. People get up to go to break come back and after walking across the carpet they shock the usb hub and it does all kinds of fun things.

Long story short. What I'm trying to achieve is you should see it force the driver to re install. See if you get better results after that.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Unplug the keyboard and replug into a different usb hub. IE: If it's plugged into the back use the usb ports on the front. (if in the front use the ones on the back)
We have A LOT of issues like that with headsets, keyboards (basically anything usb) especially this time of year because it is so dry here. People get up to go to break come back and after walking across the carpet they shock the usb hub and it does all kinds of fun things.

Long story short. What I'm trying to achieve is you should see it force the driver to re install. See if you get better results after that.

Solution

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

That's actually very telling. Sticky keys only activates when repeatedly pressing a key, not from holding it. Sounds like your keyboard has gone bad. Have a spare to test with?

egrif

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

Thanks for your response. I don't know what happened, but after a few days the system started behaving as normal. I did not do anything to it to solve the issue. I will take the laptop into have the keyboard checked before this arises as a perminent issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.