Palm alternative?

Last response: in Computer Brands
September 14, 2004 4:14:58 PM

I have used a Palm Pilot for years & my current one needs replacing. I
would probably get a Tungsten E. I use is mostly for basic stuff,
appointments, phone numbers, a few more basic programs and such (no wireless
needed). I do like a bright color screen though. I was wondering. With
the Palm field narrowing and inexpensive models available from Dell & HP,
would I gain anything by going the pocket PC format?

Thanks... Bob

More about : palm alternative

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 5:56:14 AM

the tungsten e is a great device with a clear screen and fast interface. a
terrific upgrade for a palm user. the pocket pc devices are miserable
replacements for a palm and their wireless functionality are terribly slow.
pocket pcs do some things that a palm can not, but unless you want those
features you would be much better off getting the tungsten e... and it is
cheaper too.

"Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message
> I have used a Palm Pilot for years & my current one needs replacing. I
> would probably get a Tungsten E. I use is mostly for basic stuff,
> appointments, phone numbers, a few more basic programs and such (no
wireless
> needed). I do like a bright color screen though. I was wondering. With
> the Palm field narrowing and inexpensive models available from Dell & HP,
> would I gain anything by going the pocket PC format?
>
> Thanks... Bob

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 10:07:32 AM

Boy you haven't used a very good PocketPC. I find it to be considerably
more powerful than Palm, having owned both. The ability to use Terminal
Server clients is huge for me. The wireless works flawlessly.

Mine is also my universal remote control, controlling my entire house
through WiFi.

Tom
> the tungsten e is a great device with a clear screen and fast interface.
> terrific upgrade for a palm user. the pocket pc devices are miserable
> replacements for a palm and their wireless functionality are terribly
> slow.
> pocket pcs do some things that a palm can not, but unless you want those
> features you would be much better off getting the tungsten e... and it is
> cheaper too.
>
> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message
>> I have used a Palm Pilot for years & my current one needs replacing. I
>> would probably get a Tungsten E. I use is mostly for basic stuff,
>> appointments, phone numbers, a few more basic programs and such (no
> wireless
>> needed). I do like a bright color screen though. I was wondering. With
>> the Palm field narrowing and inexpensive models available from Dell & HP,
>> would I gain anything by going the pocket PC format?
>>
>> Thanks... Bob

September 15, 2004 11:10:40 AM

Give me a hint. What are the things the Pocket PC can do that the Palm
cannot, keeping in mind I don't need any wireless (internet, email, etc.)
features.

Thanks... Bob

> the tungsten e is a great device with a clear screen and fast interface.
> terrific upgrade for a palm user. the pocket pc devices are miserable
> replacements for a palm and their wireless functionality are terribly
slow.
> pocket pcs do some things that a palm can not, but unless you want those
> features you would be much better off getting the tungsten e... and it is
> cheaper too.
>
> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message
> > I have used a Palm Pilot for years & my current one needs replacing. I
> > would probably get a Tungsten E. I use is mostly for basic stuff,
> > appointments, phone numbers, a few more basic programs and such (no
> wireless
> > needed). I do like a bright color screen though. I was wondering.
With
> > the Palm field narrowing and inexpensive models available from Dell &
HP,
> > would I gain anything by going the pocket PC format?
> >
> > Thanks... Bob

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 3:51:42 PM

wmp9.
also, check out http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111825,00.as...
still accurate despite being a year old.

"Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message
news:D qV1d.47489$mu.18429@okepread07...
> Give me a hint. What are the things the Pocket PC can do that the Palm
> cannot, keeping in mind I don't need any wireless (internet, email, etc.)
> features.
>
> Thanks... Bob
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > the tungsten e is a great device with a clear screen and fast interface.
> > terrific upgrade for a palm user. the pocket pc devices are miserable
> > replacements for a palm and their wireless functionality are terribly
> slow.
> > pocket pcs do some things that a palm can not, but unless you want those
> > features you would be much better off getting the tungsten e... and it
is
> > cheaper too.
> >
> > "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message
> > > I have used a Palm Pilot for years & my current one needs replacing.
> > > would probably get a Tungsten E. I use is mostly for basic stuff,
> > > appointments, phone numbers, a few more basic programs and such (no
> > wireless
> > > needed). I do like a bright color screen though. I was wondering.
> With
> > > the Palm field narrowing and inexpensive models available from Dell &
> HP,
> > > would I gain anything by going the pocket PC format?
> > >
> > > Thanks... Bob

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 4:55:03 PM

Thanks very much. That did it. I guess I'll stay with the Palm.

Bob

> wmp9.
> also, check out http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111825,00.as...
> still accurate despite being a year old.
>
> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message
> news:D qV1d.47489$mu.18429@okepread07...
> > Give me a hint. What are the things the Pocket PC can do that the Palm
> > cannot, keeping in mind I don't need any wireless (internet, email,
etc.)
> > features.
> >
> > Thanks... Bob
> >
> > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > > the tungsten e is a great device with a clear screen and fast
interface.
> > > terrific upgrade for a palm user. the pocket pc devices are miserable
> > > replacements for a palm and their wireless functionality are terribly
> > slow.
> > > pocket pcs do some things that a palm can not, but unless you want
those
> > > features you would be much better off getting the tungsten e... and it
> is
> > > cheaper too.
> > >
> > > "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message
> > > wireless
> > With
> > HP,

Anonymous
September 28, 2004 3:14:19 PM

Hi

I am returning Axim3 624MHz.. The Palm Tungsten T3 is much better and now Palm
offers WiFi cards. And the speaker, clearity of text, etc etc is much better on
the PalmT3. Easier tapping, inserting text etc. And the programs uses much less
space, and its copatible with so many more user where PocketPC later versions
dont work with older ones.

In article <2jN1d.7862$W73.6672@trndny03>, "Christopher Muto"
<muto@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>the tungsten e is a great device with a clear screen and fast interface. a
>terrific upgrade for a palm user. the pocket pc devices are miserable
>replacements for a palm and their wireless functionality are terribly slow.
>pocket pcs do some things that a palm can not, but unless you want those
>features you would be much better off getting the tungsten e... and it is
>cheaper too.

Anonymous
September 28, 2004 3:14:20 PM

In article <DqV1d.47489$mu.18429@okepread07>, "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net>
writes:

>Give me a hint. What are the things the Pocket PC can do that the Palm
>cannot, keeping in mind I don't need any wireless (internet, email, etc.)
>features.

Now Palm has: PalmOne™ Wi-Fi Card

Connect anywhere you have Wi-Fi access - at home, the office or at hotels,
cafes and airports using Wi-Fi (802.11b, channels 1 - 11) technology. Send and
receive email, browse the web, even wirelessly synchronize with your computer.
(May require additional service plans, software and equipment.)
• Adds 802.11b wireless network connectivity to the Tungsten T3 and Zire 72
handhelds

• Conserves battery life with low-power standby mode
• Includes PPTP VPN client for secure access to corporate networks
• Supports WEP encryption with 64 or 128 bit key length

P10952U - SDIO Card™

model compatibility
Tungsten™ T3 and Zire™ 72
!