Connect Wireless G to Wireless B

I have a MN700 and an MN500. I also have a TIVO. My
TIVO will only support a wireless B connection. Naturally
I would like to use my G system to get faster speeds. But
I need to keep my TIVO connected to keep the program guide
up to date. Is there a way to just use the MN500
(Wireless B) to keep the TIVO connected and use the MN700
(Wireless G) to get the faster speeds for actual computer
use using just one cable modem?
Any help given would be greatly appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about connect wireless wireless

    This link by barb is about segmenting.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_segnet.mspx

    For the connection between the two routers follow these directions.

    One of the two following hardware configurations will allow you to
    expand your Microsoft Broadband Network.

    The first one is connected via wires & the second one is connected via
    wireless.

    Wired connection configuration information.

    Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
    MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #2 --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #2
    MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #3 --> WAN port of MN-500 or
    MN-700 #3 (if available)

    Wireless connection configuration information.

    (For this configuration you can only use WEP & MAC filtering, for
    wireless security, because the MN-740 doesn't support WPA.)

    Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #1
    MN-740 --> WAN port of MN-500, or MN-700 #2
    MN-740 --> WAN port of MN-500, or MN-700 #3 (if available)

    You will have to configure each MN-740 on an Xbox to connect to the
    wireless network you want the second & third router to connect to.

    General configuration information for both network connection types.

    Make sure all MN-100's & MN-500's are running the latest firmware which
    is 1.11.017

    Make sure all MN-700's are running the latest firmware which is 2.01.02.0590

    Make sure all MN-740's are running the latest firmware which is 1.00.02.0021

    Now let’s look at the setup of each MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700:

    MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
    Router mode
    LAN IP address at default of 192.168.2.1
    Some SSID (if wireless)
    Some WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network supports WPA)
    Channel 6 (if wireless)

    MN-500 or MN-700 #2
    Bridge mode
    LAN IP address at 192.168.2.42, outside of default DHCP range
    Same SSID
    Same WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network supports WPA)
    Channel 1

    MN-500 or MN-700 #3 (if available)
    Bridge mode
    LAN IP address at 192.168.2.43, outside of default DHCP range
    Same SSID
    Same WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network supports WPA)
    Channel 11

    If you keep the SSID and WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network
    supports WPA) the same for all base stations, people will be able to
    move between locations and get a connection, without needing to change
    there configuration as they move.

    If you are using WEP on some but WPA on other wireless routers you will
    have to reconfigure the wireless settings as you switch between wireless
    networks.

    You need to select non-overlapping channels for the base stations to
    prevent interference.

    Non-overlapping channels have at least 5 channels between them as 1, 6,
    & 11 do.

    Channels 1, 6, & 11 are the three non-overlapping channels.

    There are more combinations if you only need two channels.

    One last note 2.4 & many 5.8 GHz phones (The models that use the 2.4 GHz
    frequency as well as the 5.8 GHZ frequency) will cause interference with
    802.11b & 802.11g wireless networking hardware, as 802.11b & 802.11g
    both use the 2.4 GHz frequency.

    The Edge wrote:

    > I have a MN700 and an MN500. I also have a TIVO. My
    > TIVO will only support a wireless B connection. Naturally
    > I would like to use my G system to get faster speeds. But
    > I need to keep my TIVO connected to keep the program guide
    > up to date. Is there a way to just use the MN500
    > (Wireless B) to keep the TIVO connected and use the MN700
    > (Wireless G) to get the faster speeds for actual computer
    > use using just one cable modem?
    > Any help given would be greatly appreciated.

    assistance.

    time.

    Couldn't you just use the MN-700's "mixed b compatible" mode wireless
    settings? It won't be quite as fast for the g system as "native g-mode" but
    it would allow both your b and g wireless adapters to connect to the same
    network. I have used this myself in the past - I have a desktop with a g
    adapter and a laptop that I only use occasionally that has a b adapter - and
    I only see about a 10-15% hit when using mixed mode.

    Log on to your base station and click on "Wireless Settings" to see what I
    mean.

    Cheers!

    Jim

    "The Edge" <edge92109@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have a MN700 and an MN500. I also have a TIVO. My
    > TIVO will only support a wireless B connection. Naturally
    > I would like to use my G system to get faster speeds. But
    > I need to keep my TIVO connected to keep the program guide
    > up to date. Is there a way to just use the MN500
    > (Wireless B) to keep the TIVO connected and use the MN700
    > (Wireless G) to get the faster speeds for actual computer
    > use using just one cable modem?
    > Any help given would be greatly appreciated.

Routers Wireless Tivo Connection Networking